Prepping for my next Spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ryguy76

Prepping for my next Spydie

Post by ryguy76 »

So far, the 5 Spyderco's I've bought, have been online purchases from a Spyderco dealer (Warriors & Wonders - Vancouver, B.C.), located about 4 hours away from me. I've researched each purchase and am happy so far with this method as it's been my only practical method of acquisition. Next week, I'll be heading to Vancouver for a concert, and will definitely be taking time to visit W&W in person and select my next knife.

I am thinking that I want to handle the following knives, and I'll likely end up with one of them.

Native 5
Paramilitary 2
Manix 2
Sage 1,2 &3
Delica 4

At this moment, I'm likely wanting to hold out for the Sage 5, so will fondle the Sages in person, but likely won't buy one until the 5 drops.

If I was a betting man, I think I'll end up with a Native 5 in G-10, as I am REALLY partial to the look of this knife and think it'll be in my wheelhouse for a standard carry when I'm not at work. Right now, my work carry is the Chap, that will likely not get displaced.

I am interested in the Manix only to see how I feel about it, but it's likely too big for my needs/tastes. The Delica will eventually be had, but I really think it's going to come down to Native 5 vs Paramilitary 2.

If I end up with the PM2, is the black blade a wise choice? How do people like the Camo scales?
My Knives: Paramilitary 2 - Chaparral - Delica FFG - Dragonfly 2 (HAP40) - Tenacious - Crow 2
Nate

Re: Prepping for my next Spydie

Post by Nate »

The Manix is similar in length to the PM2, just wider. I'm not sure if that means both will be too big for you or not. Those are hands down my two favorite mid-sized folders though.

I'm a fan of the Native as well, but found that I carry the frn one more than the g10 (both of mine are forum knives). I know a lot of folks would prefer the opposite though, so it all comes down to what feels right to you.

On the PM2, my satin/camo is my main user. I came to like the camo a lot. I have one with a lot of dark green, which I prefer to the lighter colored ones. My other one is black on black, which I think is one of the most awesome looking folders ever, but it's a back-up/safe queen, so I can't comment on how the coating holds up. I've heard that dlc is good stuff though. I've also read that some people find black blades less intimidating, but that seems a little counter intuitive to me. Probably, people who are scared of knives are just going to be scared regardless, lol. :p
:spyder:
Nate

Post by Nate »

Double tap.
Last edited by Nate on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Double tap. I'm a forum mess right now, sorry.
ryguy76

Post by ryguy76 »

Nate wrote:Double tap. I'm a forum mess right now, sorry.

Nate, you're killing it right now, lol!

I have a Tenacious, which was bought as my first Spydie, and bought as a replacement for a knife that I had stolen from my truck. I wasn't a knife guy then, so bought something of similar size. I have been carrying my Chap mostly, but wanted an after work/weekend knife that felt right. The Tenacious feels a bit big to me still for and EDC, but I'm getting less intimidated to carry it now that I EDC regularly now. I project that in time, I'll quite enjoy that size, and based on reviews, the PM2 is regarded as a pretty solid, hard to beat EDC for a mid size carry.

I am carrying my Crow 2 as I type this, on a long weekend. The overall size of the Crow 2, despite less edge than the Chap, feels appropriate, which is why I think the N5 will be a great choice as handle wise, it's not much bigger than the Crow and the edge length is longer. Seems ideal.

But if that PM2 feels right in hand, it just may come home with me instead as I figure I'll grow completely comfortable with its size for off-work carry.

I too find that the black blade would be more intimidating to the sheeple, but who knows.

I like the idea of the camo, but I'm not sure I can pull it off, lol.
My Knives: Paramilitary 2 - Chaparral - Delica FFG - Dragonfly 2 (HAP40) - Tenacious - Crow 2
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

All winners right there! Out of that list I bought the Sage1 first, and looking back I would do it again. Kinda like a 2x Chaparral in hand if you're looking for that.

I also carry the Native5 LW much more than the G10 version. Same goes for the Manix2 LW. Be sure to check them out.

Wasn't a huge fan of the PM2 camo after a while and Rit Dyed it blue. Nice to have options with lighter colored G10.

Good luck!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If your Manix is too big then the Para2 will likely be too big as well. If you really like your Chap then you should really like the Sages. On paper the Sage doesn't look like it is much bigger than the Chap but in the hand they are totally different knives. The Native is also similar to both of them but sort of falls between them in size and lacks any hump. They are all good choices but if you like your Chap I would bet that you would like the Sage1. They are kind of a matching pair.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ryguy76

Post by ryguy76 »

abbazaba wrote:All winners right there! Out of that list I bought the Sage1 first, and looking back I would do it again. Kinda like a 2x Chaparral in hand if you're looking for that.

I also carry the Native5 LW much more than the G10 version. Same goes for the Manix2 LW. Be sure to check them out.

Wasn't a huge fan of the PM2 camo after a while and Rit Dyed it blue. Nice to have options with lighter colored G10.

Good luck!
I have no doubt that if the Sage 5 was out, it would likely be my choice, based on all I love about the Chaparral and the desire for a larger, "off-duty" carry. The problem is, I think I'm solidified on Sage 5, and if buy another sage version first, I may not end up getting the 5, my first choice, at a later date. Who knows, I'll go fondle the 1 & 3 in person, and if I love either of them more than the N5 or PM2, I won't bother waiting on the S5.
ryguy76

Post by ryguy76 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:If your Manix is too big then the Para2 will likely be too big as well. If you really like your Chap then you should really like the Sages. On paper the Sage doesn't look like it is much bigger than the Chap but in the hand they are totally different knives. The Native is also similar to both of them but sort of falls between them in size and lacks any hump. They are all good choices but if you like your Chap I would bet that you would like the Sage1. They are kind of a matching pair.
I can't disagree with your logic. I think you meant Tenacious, not Manix, but I get what you're saying. My feeling of the Tenacious being too big is more about the publics perception of knife size than what I am personally comfortable with. I think I'll end up caring less and carrying larger without giving it too much thought. I don't want to take up my entire pocket though, and the PM2 may just be the ticket.

I'm happy that I don't need to make this decision without the luxury of handling each this time around. ;)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The para2 is my favorite and I certainly wouldnt try to talk anybody out of one. I am carrying a Para2 and a Delica4 today as they are my two favorite models. Another suggestion is to carry two knives. That way if you are at the DMV or something and don't want to pull out your Para2 you have another option. I sometimes carry a Ladybug in my watch pocket for just that reason. Today I am at work which is very knife friendly so it is a para2 and a Delica4.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Nate

Post by Nate »

ryguy76 wrote: Nate, you're killing it right now, lol!
I do what I can!

Beware of looking like a total dolt because you fail to differentiate between the "edit" and "quote" icons, lol.

I was trying to edit my post to say something about how the Chaparral is actually very close in blade length to the Native, which surprised me initially. I think they're within a quarter inch or so, though the Native is notebly "beefier" overall. The Sage series is a hole in my collection. As a lefty I'd probably go for the 3 personally. I've handled the 1 and it is quite a bit larger than the Chap, maybe kind of in between the Native and Manix/Tenecious.
abbazaba wrote: Wasn't a huge fan of the PM2 camo after a while and Rit Dyed it blue. Nice to have options with lighter colored G10.
Would love to see this if you have any pics out there. When I got mine I thought about dying it blue, but couldn't find any examples (just red) and kind of dropped it. Another idea I had was to dye it forest green for a faux 204p exclusive look.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Go with the paramilitary. All 4 configurations are nice. I owned a black bladed model and really liked it but I slightly favor the satin blade. Don't be scared of the digicam. It is really nice looking and the look is much less "GI Joe" than some other camo patterns. I think I prefer it over the plain black.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Nate wrote:Would love to see this if you have any pics out there. When I got mine I thought about dying it blue, but couldn't find any examples (just red) and kind of dropped it. Another idea I had was to dye it forest green for a faux 204p exclusive look.
Here's a couple: //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 2#p1066922
Nate

Post by Nate »

abbazaba wrote: Here's a couple: //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 2#p1066922
:eek: That looks awesome, thank you!
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

I've got all the knives you mentioned. As far as the sage goes, they are all nice knives and the 1 does go well with your chaparrel. The 2 is good if you want some Ti in your collection but if your set on the 5 I'd wait for that. Since it's also CF it will go well with your chaparrel.
As for the N5 and PM2 again both good knives. Apart from the size and lock differences there is the steels, I prefer S35VN but there is nothing wrong with S30V. After all that....my digi cam black blade PM2 is my most carried knife
ryguy76

Post by ryguy76 »

So I've been thinking about this over the course of the weekend, and oddly enough, the PM2 has really started growing on me, looks-wise. I figured I'd eventually get one, based on all the glowing reviews, but I wasn't completely sold on its tactical appearance. I think after spending time reading more, and looking at the pics, the digicam/satin combo beats out the black on black I was initially drawn to.

I'm basically going to fondle the bejeez outta the Native G10, the Sage 1 and PM2 and let the one that calls to me the most, come home with me.

I am really drawn to the overall appearance of the Native, it's my favourite looking knife, but it only gains 2mm edge length over the Chap, so coming home and swapping out to a "bigger" knife with only 2mm blade difference, seems almost pointless.

The Sage may wow me with it's smooth action and overall larger feel than the Chaparral, and while not hugely bigger in edge, it will definitely seem like I'm swapping for something larger, and being that it has that "big brother" look, it may be enough of a draw.

The PM2, in digicam and a satin blade would feel like I'm coming home and moving from a "office carry" to "playtime carry" knife. Will it be overkill for my uses thus far? Perhaps, but I'm finding that I really am surprising myself with how handy carrying a knife is for me. PM2 in digicam gets points for being badass, for me anyway. And that counts for something. :)

Heading to Vancouver next Thursday.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'm no help. The satin/camo is my user, but...

:p
ryguy76

Post by ryguy76 »

Nate wrote:I'm no help. The satin/camo is my user, but...

:p
Really Nate? You think I need this much stress in my life? Over a knife? ;)

She's a beaut!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I too have all the knives in your list (along with several others) and I "struggle" :) everyday trying to decide which one to carry. So you have a tough decision ahead of you. I know you said that you probably weren't going to consider the Native 5 this time around due to the edge length but be sure to handle a G10 & a LW. You might just change your mind. I tend to carry lighter knives in the warmer months so the Native 5 LW (FRN) sees quite a bit of pocket time. Delicas & Manix 2 LW too. Carried my CF Chap today and Sage 1 when we were out last night. Also, be sure to look at the Sage 2 as well. I didn't really like the frame lock on mine at first because it felt harder to unlock than the liner lock on my Sage 1. Not sure what the problem was because unlocking it is now very easy and it's become one of my favorite knives.

The PM2 is a great choice. I have the blacked out version like Nate. Normally the all black isn't really my thing but mine came along at a great price so I bought it. Now I really like it. The DLC coating is holding up well but really it's only been used to cut up cardboard boxes to go in the recycling bin.

Anyway, in my (rather short) experience in the knife world, there's a lot of personal preference involved in choosing one knife over another. It can be hard to tell how a knife feels from just researching online. Be sure to handle as many models as you can while at the store. All the knives in your list are great choices and be sure to handle each so you can make an informed decision. The PM2 is great but you never know, a different knife may end up coming home with you.

Regardless of what you decide, have fun with it. Researching and trying to decide on your next knife is one of the best parts of the hobby
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Kidding aside, I look forward to hearing what you settle on. It definitely helps to be able to handle stuff before you buy. I'm lucky to have a couple of local stores within a 20 minute drive where I can check out many of the standard production models in person.