SpartanJohns thinks that 154CM is a much better steel than VG-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: SpartanJohns thinks that 154CM is a much better steel than VG-10

Post by bearfacedkiller »

jabba359 wrote:Are you guys serious? Dr. Pepper is the best. I conducted my own very scientific study and have proven it so. I have numbers, videos, and charts even.
Sorry, if you can't link us to a YouTube video of someone we have never heard of validating your opinion then it can't be true....
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
GMArthur

Post by GMArthur »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
GMArthur wrote:Who is SpartanJohns?
Why don't you ask him that on his YouTube channel?
Ohh. He's a "YouTube Guy". That makes his opinion valid. I hear it is pretty tough to get one of those YouTube channels. Anything he says must be true.
:D
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Cujobob wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
Cujobob wrote:Many people know what they're talking about. Even one knowledgeable guy likes 154cm in a backwards chisel grind. Doesn't make it right :P

I have my own steel preferences, linking to someone who agrees with me doesn't change anything. I prefer Sandvik 14C28N over 154CM with a good heat treat.
14C28N is a good steel but I think that 154CM is a little bit better and CPM-154 is a little bit better than 154CM.
In what way is 154CM better? Steels cannot be ranked as good, better, best so simply. The difference in grind and heat treat between two blades will often dictate any differences noticed in edge retention, slicing ability, and toughness between somewhat similar steels. Inexpensive knives tend to use 154CM over the more 'premium' steels and inexpensive knives often have simple heat treats instead of one that may be more optimal.

I'm a Pepsi guy for what it's worth, too, but cola isn't my favorite. I'll take whatever Mr. Pibb is all day any day.

It can't? Then you would take AUS-6 over S110V?
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Agreed.

palonej wrote:Root Beer blows them all away.......maybe the OP can blow away too??
I can only hope!
Tool.
Joe
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
Mikael Andersson

GMArthur wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
Why don't you ask him that on his YouTube channel?
Ohh. He's a "YouTube Guy". That makes his opinion valid. I hear it is pretty tough to get one of those YouTube channels. Anything he says must be true.
:D
He is great at reviewing knives but you would know that by now if you had a good head on your shoulders.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
It can't? Then you would take AUS-6 over S110V?
For a knife I wanted for toughness and easy sharpening, yes I would.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I think he's related to Jimmy Johns who makes good subs.
I'll take a #5 with extra peppers and a Coke. Cut it with CPM154 or VG10 please. :p
bearfacedkiller

He does favorable reviews of Ganko knockoffs so he must know what he is talking about. He also said that his Ganko preformed better after he reduced the edge angles from 30 degrees per side down to 20 degrees per side. Maybe he misspoke. I don't know. To me his opinion is just an opinion. His reviews don't seem bad in general but he is just another YouTube product reviewer of which there are many. You really need to put the filter on when watching them.

There are lots of bad revues on YouTube that are filled with opinion and/or misinformation. Ever since I saw Nutnfancy exclaim that axes were bad survival tools after using one for the first time I decided to not put too much stock in YouTube videos. Nutnfancy tried to buck a log with a splitting maul and he used that as his reference. That was one of the more embarrassing displays of ignorance that I have seen on YouTube. Even with that display he still has built a large following of loyal followers who take his opinions as gospel. I chose to pass the cup of Kool-aid to the next guy on that one.

I assure you that the Deacon is not full of baloney. His knowledge of knives and specifically Spyderco knives is extensive and he probably knows more than most of these YouTube reviewers could ever dream of. You should listen to him, you might even learn something. :eek:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JT

Post by JT »

"mr" andersson,
this is a direct quote from you:

"there's too much jibber jabber on this website and too few blade steel tests."

Tell me, what is YOUR qualification on the subject? what do YOU nw about steels and their qualities when used for knives?
Actually, don't tell, I'll tell it: I believe it is zero, nothing, nada. You are just a stupid a** troll who is enjoying this s*it, So, why don't you just paddle along to some other forum, or create your own, and leave us.

and just to clarify: du jävla troll ock skitstövel kan sjuka mina luddiga baller... förstår?
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Mikael Andersson

JT wrote:"mr" andersson,
this is a direct quote from you:

"there's too much jibber jabber on this website and too few blade steel tests."

Tell me, what is YOUR qualification on the subject? what do YOU nw about steels and their qualities when used for knives?
Actually, don't tell, I'll tell it: I believe it is zero, nothing, nada. You are just a stupid a** troll who is enjoying this s*it, So, why don't you just paddle along to some other forum, or create your own, and leave us.

and just to clarify: du jävla troll ock skitstövel kan sjuka mina luddiga baller... förstår?
Suomalaiset haluavat juoda Kosken ja vittu vuohet.
JT

Post by JT »

You really should learn how to use the google translator before trying to response to an insult, if you don't speak the language :D :D :D :D
PiggyBackJack

Post by PiggyBackJack »

JT wrote: and just to clarify: du jävla troll ock skitstövel kan sjuka mina luddiga baller... förstår?
/thread! :D

However, the correct way to say this in Swedish is: "Du är ett jävla troll och en skitstövel och du kan suga mina håriga pungkulor, fattar du?"

And since I'm bilingual I will also paraphrase/translate the sentance for the rest of the board: ;)

"You're a f-ing troll and an a-hole and you can suck my hairy balls, get it?"

I think that just about sums it up! :)
QM on the S/Y Modesty under Captain T.
MadmanR1

Post by MadmanR1 »

"Look boys, we don't want no trouble around here....in any language."
Mikael Andersson

PiggyBackJack wrote:
JT wrote: and just to clarify: du jävla troll ock skitstövel kan sjuka mina luddiga baller... förstår?

However, the correct way to say this in Swedish is: "Du är ett jävla troll och en skitstövel och du kan suga mina håriga pungkulor, fattar du?"

And since I'm bilingual I will also paraphrase/translate the sentance for the rest of the board: ;)

Alla idioter är inte noll-åttor men alla noll-åttor är idioter.
JT

Post by JT »

Thanks Piggyback, I never was that good with grammar, but at least I know lots of dirty words in two languages :D :D

And i didn't want to translate this to the whole world to see, I was just f*cking with "mr" anderrson. ;)

Aand greetings to a real fellow :spyder: nut from Sweden Piggyback! hälsningar fran Finland vän! :)
PiggyBackJack

Post by PiggyBackJack »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
PiggyBackJack wrote:

Alla idioter är inte noll-åttor men alla noll-åttor är idioter.
Well, considering your attitude and demeanor so far I'm not very surprised at this response. I won't take the bait though and I hope you'll find a way to one day cope with your blatantly obvious social insecurity and whatever ineptitude you feel towards the rest of this community. However, if you insist on being a troll and a general nuisance, your time on this board will be brief and soon forgotten.
PiggyBackJack

Post by PiggyBackJack »

JT wrote:Thanks Piggyback, I never was that good with grammar, but at least I know lots of dirty words in two languages :D :D

And i didn't want to translate this to the whole world to see, I was just f*cking with "mr" anderrson. ;)

Aand greetings to a real fellow :spyder: nut from Sweden Piggyback! hälsningar fran Finland vän! :)
Kippis! :D
tangent

Post by tangent »

If no one responded to his threads, then he might go away...I know I just contributed to the problem...just saying.
remnar

Post by remnar »

jabba359 wrote:Are you guys serious? Dr. Pepper is the best. I conducted my own very scientific study and have proven it so. I have numbers, videos, and charts even.
Yes, but only as a dive-soda. The extra carbonation is great out in the open water. Not because you should breath CO2, but it will help you float back to the surface when you're bloated with the stuff. :p
bearfacedkiller

If google translate is working well I would say that this thread has crossed the line.... :mad:
-Darby