Your "odd" hobbies?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ArmaliteKnight

Re: Your "odd" hobbies?

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

OldHoosier! My fellow Indiana native!! Where do you hail from?
I'm living the dream in Bloomington.
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
Delica 4 FRN w/Emerson wave
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
Matriarch2 FRN w/Emerson wave
GOD BLESS JOHN NOVESKE R.I.P
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

awa54 wrote: How restrictive is Australian law regarding long guns, and how hard/easy is it to get .22LR ammo? I have a CZ452 in .22 that I *would* shoot lots, but .22 ammo is stupid expensive in the US compared to what it used to be ten years ago :(
Mate, I apologise for my flippant dismissal of air rifles. I should have said I don't know! :o

You can get a shooter license easy enough if you don't have a criminal record.

The vast majority of foxes we ping off hand and the Trail Boss load in the .222 drops it back to about a .22 WMR and way cheaper than buying .22WMR factory ammo! :D

My Model 2 Brno likes Winchester Power-Points best and last time I bought a brick of 500 they cost about $AU65.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bloke wrote: My Model 2 Brno likes Winchester Power-Points best and last time I bought a brick of 500 they cost about $AU65.
I think your Brno 2 is pretty much the same rifle as my 452 "training rifle", except for the scope mount (bases vs. 11mm dovetail)and that the newer gun has a beech stock. Mine shoots straight with any round you feed it... near club match accuracy from a $300 utility rifle, gotta love it! Ammo is creeping back in to realm of sanity, with basic bricks available for $40-50 and target/training for $70ish, but you still have to feel lucky to find any on the shelf. Not so long ago a brick of wildcat was under $20 and Federal match $40.

Some day I want a CZ centerfire, do you have strong feelings about .222 vs. .223? also how are those little necked cases to reload? I've only done 6.5x55 and pistol loads before.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

ArmaliteKnight wrote:OldHoosier! My fellow Indiana native!! Where do you hail from?
Use to live in Bloom-tucky years ago....live not too far from Evansville now. Grew up in Morgan and Monroe counties mostly.
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
ArmaliteKnight wrote:OldHoosier! My fellow Indiana native!! Where do you hail from?
Use to live in Bloom-tucky years ago....live not too far from Evansville now. Grew up in Morgan and Monroe counties mostly.
always cool to run into someone on here that is familiar with the areas surrounding!
I got married in the Morgan/Monroe forest area, so I think we've covered all bases. I'm not very familiar with the Evansville area though.
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

ArmaliteKnight wrote:
OldHoosier62 wrote:
always cool to run into someone on here that is familiar with the areas surrounding!
I got married in the Morgan/Monroe forest area, so I think we've covered all bases. I'm not very familiar with the Evansville area though.
Hey guys, I hope you don't mind if a fellow Hoosier joins the conversation. :) I was born and raised in Valparaiso, IN (Porter County). Lived there until l was eight, then my family moved over to the NE side of the state. I have a ton of relatives living in the Winimac area, Mishawaka, South Bend, Goshen, and Hebron. I've been down to the southern parts of Indiana many times, but I don't think I've ever been to Evansville, unfortunately. I'm darn proud to be a 100% corn-fed, raw-boned, Hoosier boy. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

SpyderNut wrote:
ArmaliteKnight wrote:
OldHoosier62 wrote:
Hey guys, I hope you don't mind if a fellow Hoosier joins the conversation. :) I was born and raised in Valparaiso, IN (Porter County). Lived there until l was eight, then my family moved over to the NE side of the state. I have a ton of relatives living in the Winimac area, Mishawaka, South Bend, Goshen, and Hebron. I've been down to the southern parts of Indiana many times, but I don't think I've ever been to Evansville, unfortunately. I'm darn proud to be a 100% corn-fed, raw-boned, Hoosier boy. :D
Sounds like we need to have a good ol fashion Hoosier reunion!
Throw some pig on the grill haha!!
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Haha..Agreed, really thought I was the only one from Indiana on this forum. Out of northwest Indiana here (valparaiso). Professional candy man from Albanese. Making chocolate candy is my hobbie and career.

Rich
Think for yourself
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

awa54 wrote:
Some day I want a CZ centerfire, do you have strong feelings about .222 vs. .223? also how are those little necked cases to reload? I've only done 6.5x55 and pistol loads before.
The little .222 is a joy to load for and inherently accurate and fun to shoot. The CZ 527 action is made for .223 case size rounds and you can do good things with the trigger, plus they're light and short...... I like my CZ! :D

Mate, the .222 was my second choice in the 527. I dearly wanted a .221Rem Fireball but like so much here, they don't bring that particular caliber into the country. :mad:
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bloke wrote:
awa54 wrote:
The little .222 is a joy to load for and inherently accurate and fun to shoot. The CZ 527 action is made for .223 case size rounds and you can do good things with the trigger, plus they're light and short...... I like my CZ! :D

Mate, the .222 was my second choice in the 527. I dearly wanted a .221Rem Fireball but like so much here, they don't bring that particular caliber into the country. :mad:
Which variant do you have? It looks like that action comes in different cartridges depending on the model, with the "American" having the most options. The carbine in 7.62x39 is intriguing though...
-David

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

awa54 wrote:
Which variant do you have?
Classic American ..... of coarse! ;)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

ArmaliteKnight wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
ArmaliteKnight wrote:
OldHoosier62 wrote:
Sounds like we need to have a good ol fashion Hoosier reunion!
Throw some pig on the grill haha!!
Yout betcha. I'll bring the hog. :D

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Richierich252000 wrote:Haha..Agreed, really thought I was the only one from Indiana on this forum. Out of northwest Indiana here (valparaiso). Professional candy man from Albanese. Making chocolate candy is my hobbie and career.

Rich
Hey Rich,
There are a few other Hoosiers here: Studey and WireEdge Roger, to name a few. :) That is cool that you live in Valpo! It's a really nice area.

Do you happen to have any affiliation with the South Bend Chocolate Co. by chance?

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

awa54 wrote:
Bloke wrote:
awa54 wrote:

Which variant do you have? It looks like that action comes in different cartridges depending on the model, with the "American" having the most options. The carbine in 7.62x39 is intriguing though...
A friend has the 527 Carbine in 7.62 x 39 and it's a nice little rifle. Personally I'd prefer the 527 American in .222 to go with my 452 American. .222 Rem is a great little cartridge! My first center fire rifle was a Rem 700 ADL .222 that I've had for years. It's a great cartridge to load for and quite accurate.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sharp Guy wrote:
A friend has the 527 Carbine in 7.62 x 39 and it's a nice little rifle. Personally I'd prefer the 527 American in .222 to go with my 452 American. .222 Rem is a great little cartridge! My first center fire rifle was a Rem 700 ADL .222 that I've had for years. It's a great cartridge to load for and quite accurate.
You can’t go wrong with the .222Rem or the CZ 527.

All CZ’s are a little “rough’ but easy enough to clean up and great value for what you pay! I don’t think I know of anyone who owns one and complains. Mine near puts any hand loads into MOA.

Still wish I had a .221Fireball! :rolleyes:
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
awa54 wrote:
Bloke wrote:
awa54 wrote:

I'm guessing that the difference in twist rate between the three rounds has to do with maximum bullet weight and velocity, though .221 Fireballs twist in the 527 is in between .222 and .223... and looks to be the lowest muzzle velocity of the three?!? Is there a big difference in barrel/chamber life between these rounds? From what I have seen around the web it seems like there really isn't a reason *not* to just go with .223, since it's easier and cheaper to find ammo and brass for. Please let me know if I'm missing something!
-David

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

awa54 wrote:I'm guessing that the difference in twist rate between the three rounds has to do with maximum bullet weight and velocity
Basically yes! The faster twist rates are more optimal for heavier bullet weights. That's not to say you can't use the lighter bullet weights, you can.
awa54 wrote:Is there a big difference in barrel/chamber life between these rounds?
Of the 3 I would say that .221 FB and .222 Rem would have a slightly longer barrel life than .223 due to the relatively low pressure but it really depends on the loads being shot. I don't think the casual shooter will ever notice a difference.
awa54 wrote:From what I have seen around the web it seems like there really isn't a reason *not* to just go with .223, since it's easier and cheaper to find ammo and brass for. Please let me know if I'm missing something!
If I was looking to buy my first .22 centerfire and I was only going to shoot factory loaded ammo I would likely go with the .223 for the reasons you mention. I went with my .222 years ago because 1) It's a very accurate round and I was planning on handloading for accuracy from the start 2) I got a great deal on it used from the gun shop my family owned ;) A couple years later I bought a .22-250 target/varmint rifle and I still have them both today. They're both excellent shooters!!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Bloke wrote:You can’t go wrong with the .222Rem or the CZ 527.

All CZ’s are a little “rough’ but easy enough to clean up and great value for what you pay! I don’t think I know of anyone who owns one and complains. Mine near puts any hand loads into MOA.

Still wish I had a .221Fireball! :rolleyes:
The CZ's are a excellent value and are typically very good shooters! Their 452 models are extremely popular among the rimfire crowd. I have a 452 American that is quite accurate and has served me well in the match shooting that I do. A friend has a 452 Varmint that's stupid accurate. I see you have a BRNO #2. I almost bought a very nice BRNO 4 from guy in our gun club a few years ago. I decided not to because have enough target rifles in the safe.

I've always wanted to have a Rem XP-100 in .221 Fireball

@ awa54 & Bloke...if you guys ever want to talk about rimfires come on over to Rimfire Central.
remnar

Post by remnar »

I guess this has become a hobby and my family thinks it's odd. I mentioned this in the "whittling" thread but I guess it's just as appropriate here. Over this summer I have made several hiking staffs. I just finished(maybe finished?) my last one so I thought that I'd share some pics.

Here's some shots of my three favorites.

The short staff was my first and I made it for my son who had been using the stick around the yard for the last year.

The long straight one has the under bark left on which creates the nice pattern. I like this one because it is a simple yet attractive hiking staff.

The last staff that I made is the one with all of the carving. I spent more time on this one than all the others combined. This is also the only one that I stained. Besides my family thinking this is odd, I'm sure that I've heard several cracks about me rubbing my stick. :p

Here's a couple more shots.

After carving the knot pattern at the top of the staff, I decided to incorporate a similar knot on the copper ferrule at the bottom. I then gave the ferrule a nice patina.

farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Wow, those are really good, I like the last one the best, looks like you really put a lot of time into those. That copper ferrule is sweet, love me some Cu. Have you ever heard of Diamond willow, we have tons of it up here and lots of folks make walking sticks out it, pretty cool looking wood once you get the bark stripped.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."