A Little Disappointed in HAP40

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ryno

A Little Disappointed in HAP40

Post by Ryno »

I don't know it the picture showed up; this is the first time I've posted a pic to the forum.

Got some edge deformation on my delica from cutting 2 plastic zip ties. I've cut tons of zip ties with my SB Delica and never hurt the edge. Both knives sharpened 15 dps on ep, finished on SM, then stropped with diamond paste.
Attachments
20160423_063320-1.jpg
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Surfingringo

Re: A Little Disappointed in HAP40

Post by Surfingringo »

Interesting. Thanks for posting that. I have used mine quite a bit (including a few zip ties) and haven't noticed any damage yet. Did you by chance look at the edge with a loupe to see what type of damage?
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I tried taking a better pic. The edge is folded to one side.
Attachments
20160423_154902-1.jpg
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ryno, can you describe how it happened? Was there a lot of side load involved? Given that its at the tip can I assume that you slid the tip under a relatively tight zip tie and then straightened/twisted the knife and cut at the same time? I'm asking that because that can make a massive difference in the amount of stress exerted on the edge. For the record, I'm not judging your cutting technique, just trying to get a clear understanding of what caused the damage so I can file it away as another data point. Thanks.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I am just surprised you guys cut zip ties with those folding paring knives known as FFG Delica. Too thin for that kinda thing to me. Would be a great tomato slicer though. That model needs beefier stock for my EDC chores
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

twinboysdad wrote: That model needs beefier stock for my EDC chores
Finally someone who agrees with me on this. The Caly is tough, but FFG, how about the Delica getting a tad thicker?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Surfingringo wrote:Ryno, can you describe how it happened? Was there a lot of side load involved? Given that its at the tip can I assume that you slid the tip under a relatively tight zip tie and then straightened/twisted the knife and cut at the same time? I'm asking that because that can make a massive difference in the amount of stress exerted on the edge. For the record, I'm not judging your cutting technique, just trying to get a clear understanding of what caused the damage so I can file it away as another data point. Thanks.
I didn't twist. I slid it under a relatively tight zip tie, pulled up on the handle as I slid it out. The technique is the same as I do with all zip ties.

I do the same cut with SB all the time with different results. In fact, I do the same cut with my zdp dfly all the time too.
Ryan

Ryno

Post by Ryno »

twinboysdad wrote:I am just surprised you guys cut zip ties with those folding paring knives known as FFG Delica. Too thin for that kinda thing to me. Would be a great tomato slicer though. That model needs beefier stock for my EDC chores
I didn't snap the blade in two... it just deformed the edge. A saber grind or chisel grind wouldn't have changed anything, I don't think.
Ryan

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ryno wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Ryno, can you describe how it happened? Was there a lot of side load involved? Given that its at the tip can I assume that you slid the tip under a relatively tight zip tie and then straightened/twisted the knife and cut at the same time? I'm asking that because that can make a massive difference in the amount of stress exerted on the edge. For the record, I'm not judging your cutting technique, just trying to get a clear understanding of what caused the damage so I can file it away as another data point. Thanks.
I didn't twist. I slid it under a relatively tight zip tie, pulled up on the handle as I slid it out. The technique is the same as I do with all zip ties.

I do the same cut with SB all the time with different results. In fact, I do the same cut with my zdp dfly all the time too.
That's what I was wondering. Thanks for the additional info.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Ryno wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:I am just surprised you guys cut zip ties with those folding paring knives known as FFG Delica. Too thin for that kinda thing to me. Would be a great tomato slicer though. That model needs beefier stock for my EDC chores
I didn't snap the blade in two... it just deformed the edge. A saber grind or chisel grind wouldn't have changed anything, I don't think.
If you interpreted my comments as you abusing the knife, my apologies, that was not my intent. I use every opportunity I get to beat the drum that the FFG Delivas are too thin. My Pingo is FFG and is a great thickness for EDC. The Delica could (and should IMO) be the same thickness of the Saber but be FFG. I think you could eliminate both the Saber and current FFG by making an FFG the same thickness as the saber but still FFG. The Superleaf was FFG and 4mm thick so it can be done.
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I don't use my chef's knives on anything but food. Otherwise they might roll an edge.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

What kind of chores? I ask because my dad is a 68 year old master plumber who uses the crap out of his VG-10 Delica 4 FFG for stuff that most folks would consider abuse. He's had it for almost 3 years now and has used it almost daily.

I honestly think people don't realize how tough thin blades are and how long they will last if you use your knife as a knife. If you use the knife as a pry tool then don't make the rest of us pay the price by asking to have Spyderco make it thicker. Get yourself a screwdriver or a prybar.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I did not misunderstand you. I got it the first time. If it had been the original factory edge I would not have been too surprised. But you say you sharpened it, I believe. That is interesting. I wonder if the heat treat could be off on it. I use my VG10 Delicas like that all the time without issue. I do not even think twice about doing it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Please don't ruin the Delica and make it thicker. There are plenty of thicker blades. Why make one of the few really thin knives thicker? Just carry a Caly3 then. I cut zip ties and pallet strapping all the time with a Delica in VG10, SB and Hap40 without issue. The Super Blue Delica has a 20 degree bevel on it and it gets used pretty hard at work without issue. I carry my VG10 Delica backpacking and it has done a ton of woodcarving without issue. I wish there was a 3.5 inch bladed knife that came as thin as the Delica. If I could get a Stretch that thin I would be in heaven.

Sorry OP for the tangent. I have carried a Hap40 Delica a lot since they came out and cut a ton of very heavy pallet strapping with it and my edge has held up great. I wish I could help more. Something seems amiss.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Depending on who you ask, zip ties are either hard use or something you should be able to cut all day. I made a video about how I was impressed at how S110V held an edge cutting some and didn't chip, and the comments acted like it wasn't a big deal. Personally zip ties have been one of the worst edge killers of anything I cut.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

twinboysdad wrote: If you interpreted my comments as you abusing the knife, my apologies, that was not my intent. I use every opportunity I get to beat the drum that the FFG Delivas are too thin. My Pingo is FFG and is a great thickness for EDC. The Delica could (and should IMO) be the same thickness of the Saber but be FFG. I think you could eliminate both the Saber and current FFG by making an FFG the same thickness as the saber but still FFG. The Superleaf was FFG and 4mm thick so it can be done.
I get what you're saying now, but the damage was only at the apex and doesn't extend past the back bevel. The back bevel is the same angle on all my knives regardless of type of grind. I get the sense that it's a HT issue rather than a profile issue since 2 more of my FFGs don't have the same issue and others with HAP40 haven't had this issue.

I also feel the HT maybe at fault because the knife reprofiles easier than any other spydie I have reprofiled.
Ryan

Ryno

Post by Ryno »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Please don't ruin the Delica and make it thicker. There are plenty of thicker blades. Why make one of the few really thin knives thicker? Just carry a Caly3 then. I cut zip ties and pallet strapping all the time with a Delica in VG10, SB and Hap40 without issue. The Super Blue Delica has a 20 degree bevel on it and it gets used pretty hard at work without issue. I carry my VG10 Delica backpacking and it has done a ton of woodcarving without issue. I wish there was a 3.5 inch bladed knife that came as thin as the Delica. If I could get a Stretch that thin I would be in heaven.

Sorry OP for the tangent. I have carried a Hap40 Delica a lot since they came out and cut a ton of very heavy pallet strapping with it and my edge has held up great. I wish I could help more. Something seems amiss.
It does seem amiss. I sharpened out the damage earlier today. I'll keep at it and see if it happens again.
Ryan

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Please keep us posted. So far I have really been pleased with Hap40 so this is interesting to me. Good luck!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

David Lowry wrote:
What kind of chores? I ask because my dad is a 68 year old master plumber who uses the crap out of his VG-10 Delica 4 FFG for stuff that most folks would consider abuse. He's had it for almost 3 years now and has used it almost daily.

I honestly think people don't realize how tough thin blades are and how long they will last if you use your knife as a knife. If you use the knife as a pry tool then don't make the rest of us pay the price by asking to have Spyderco make it thicker. Get yourself a screwdriver or a prybar.
Amen
bearfacedkiller wrote:Please don't ruin the Delica and make it thicker. There are plenty of thicker blades. Why make one of the few really thin knives thicker? Just carry a Caly3 then. I cut zip ties and pallet strapping all the time with a Delica in VG10, SB and Hap40 without issue. The Super Blue Delica has a 20 degree bevel on it and it gets used pretty hard at work without issue. I carry my VG10 Delica backpacking and it has done a ton of woodcarving without issue. I wish there was a 3.5 inch bladed knife that came as thin as the Delica. If I could get a Stretch that thin I would be in heaven.
And amen again
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Different strokes I suppose. I was cutting plastic packaging one Christmas and bent an FFG Delica. I put some lateral force into it but this is an EDC chore. I bent it back but lost the confidence after that and just think a Native thickness in FFG would still slice great and improve the design. That's my take