Military---I finally got one.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Military---I finally got one.

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:Interesting concept. I would like to see how it works in actuality.
As would I. My main complaint with full SE is that if I need to make a clean cut through something I have to make it with the tip...which requires a lot more effort and control since it's further from your hand. Think about any time you've really made hard carving cuts into something...it's always with the heel of the blade. Then on the flip side, I find that most of the time when I'm using SE it's somewhere around the middle of the blade. I also have a feeling that the teeth will prevent things from slipping off the blade if you're using the rear plain edge section to cut things...they'll slide up the blade and snag into the teeth and continue to cut. If you've ever tried to cut one of those extra large heavy zip ties and found the blade does more slipping off the tie than cutting, this is where having those teeth in that place will really shine.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Doc Dan wrote:Interesting concept. I would like to see how it works in actuality.
+1
vivi

Post by vivi »

There are SAKs made that way. I have a one handed trekker with PE near the handle and SE the rest of the way. Makes sense to me. PE up close for whittling fuzz sticks, sharpening a pencil etc., then serrations along the middle where I'm more likely to use them.

Personally I'll take a scary sharp PE over serrations, but if I were buying a CE Military, I'd like the PE section next to the choil like the OHT blade.
Miss Dragonfly

Post by Miss Dragonfly »

Evil D wrote:
As would I. My main complaint with full SE is that if I need to make a clean cut through something I have to make it with the tip...which requires a lot more effort and control since it's further from your hand. Think about any time you've really made hard carving cuts into something...it's always with the heel of the blade. Then on the flip side, I find that most of the time when I'm using SE it's somewhere around the middle of the blade. I also have a feeling that the teeth will prevent things from slipping off the blade if you're using the rear plain edge section to cut things...they'll slide up the blade and snag into the teeth and continue to cut. If you've ever tried to cut one of those extra large heavy zip ties and found the blade does more slipping off the tie than cutting, this is where having those teeth in that place will really shine.
Newly fascinated by knives, to be honest. But that was the best dang explanation of where serrations belong on a hard cutting knife. :)

Hmmm, Serrated Edge DFly :) Looking at catalog photos only...It seems to have the PE tip in ratio to its size that you're preachin' :cool: , but not the heel PE part. :( However, that would be sorta bonkers to ALSO ask all that of 1.875 edge....or not? Anyway, I'm sticking with my perfect PE DFly, does it all for me, no complaints. Ya got me thinkin' tho! :) :spyder: Thanks for the detailed explanation!
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
Marilyn Monroe
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Evil D wrote:I'm going to make this happen eventually. This gives me serrations where I use them the most, and plain edge where I use them the most, and it gives me enough serrations to be useful. I can still whittle sticks at the heel of the blade and I can still make detailed clean cuts with the tip.

Exactly.

Sal are you paying attention?

Might have to get with one of them places that will cut serrations on your knife to get it done.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Evil D wrote:I'm going to make this happen eventually. This gives me serrations where I use them the most, and plain edge where I use them the most, and it gives me enough serrations to be useful. I can still whittle sticks at the heel of the blade and I can still make detailed clean cuts with the tip.

Exactly.

Sal are you paying attention?

Might have to get with one of them places that will cut serrations on your knife to get it done.
I'm pretty sure Willey Knives can do it. I just don't have a PE Military at the moment.

But, I would much rather have Spyderco do it, so the edge is all in a straight line. Having them cut serrations into a V ground bevel means the serrations will be offset and out of line from the plain edge. That's not a huge deal but I'd be fine with the plain edge being saber grind like the serrations.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
I'm considering what EVIL D and Doc Dan both said >> I do like Doc Dan's idea of a combo edged Military model. For one reason the blade on the Military is long enough to implement a combo edge without hindering the plain edged portion of the blade. Therefore the C-36 Military is one of the few models I would have with a combo edge. Combo Edges on shorter blades are an aggravation to me.

Now EVIL D's idea of having serrations up around the center of the blade I'm not so sure of. To me it would make the PE portion of the blade ineffective in my humble opinion. Because when I use full Spyderedged blades I do indeed use the entire blade. And it's not often that I find myself using a combo edged blade for that matter. Because when I need a PE that's what I use and when I need a serrated blade I find that one of Spyderco's fully serrated blades can't be beat.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Doc Dan wrote:Serrated edges do have some utility. I prefer plain or combo edges. I would like to see a combo edge Millie of some sort. That way, I get the plain edge for normal slicing and the combo edge for rope, cord, etc.
+1
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

In my BS days (Before Spyderco ;) ) I carried a combo blade for years and didn't really have many problems with it. I liked the serrated part to strip wire, being too lazy to go get my wire stripper. Now that I'm retired, I almost always carry more than one knife, and if I'm in an outdoor situation, usually including an SE. So, in reality, I don't have too much need for a combo anymore. When I do use an SE, it's usually for cutting brush, and I like the full blade for that and usually use my Pac Salt or D'Allara Rescue. But I have a special attachment to my combo edge Manix2, my first Spydie, and I'm fond of my green combo Tenacious, which would serve for most indoor situations. But I do find the idea of a PS Millie interesting, whether SE in the middle or inner 2/3 or 3/4 or whatever. It would be a great knife if you were trying to cut down on weight or simplify things for something like a photo walkabout or whatever.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote: I'm pretty sure Willey Knives can do it. I just don't have a PE Military at the moment.

But, I would much rather have Spyderco do it, so the edge is all in a straight line. Having them cut serrations into a V ground bevel means the serrations will be offset and out of line from the plain edge. That's not a huge deal but I'd be fine with the plain edge being saber grind like the serrations.
Do you know how much they charge? This might be a way for me to get a full SE Resilience :eek: And you could experiment with your mid serration idea on a Resilience. Do you know if they offer different serration sizes? I would like them to be at least as big as those on the Pac Salt.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DougC-3 wrote:
Evil D wrote: I'm pretty sure Willey Knives can do it. I just don't have a PE Military at the moment.

Do you know how much they charge? This might be a way for me to get a full SE Resilience :eek: And you could experiment with your mid serration idea on a Resilience. Do you know if they offer different serration sizes? I would like them to be at least as big as those on the Pac Salt.
They do single pattern and Spyderco pattern serrations, I was told $6.
~David
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote:
Sorry about diverting the thread, but this might be an excuse for me to buy a Resilience and wind up with something sort of like a poor man's folding SE Aqua, lol. Surely someone must have done this before, but google couldn't seem to croak up an image.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DougC-3 wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Sorry about diverting the thread, but this might be an excuse for me to buy a Resilience and wind up with something sort of like a poor man's folding SE Aqua, lol. Surely someone must have done this before, but google couldn't seem to croak up an image.

I've only seen one knife they did which was a Military. The pics are posted here somewhere though I don't remember who posted it and the pics weren't super great. For a mere $6 it's worth sending them a cheap knife just to see how well they do it.
~David
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Evil D wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I've only seen one knife they did which was a Military. The pics are posted here somewhere though I don't remember who posted it and the pics weren't super great. For a mere $6 it's worth sending them a cheap knife just to see how well they do it.
I do have a PE Millie that never gets carried.

Hmm.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.