Anyone else have a Tanaka?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cjcutter

Anyone else have a Tanaka?

Post by cjcutter »

Just got one last week. Wow big probably would have passed if I would have felt it in person. But it's starting to grow on me and in pocketable you know it's there. And it comes with a card enclosed to use two hands when closing. It bit me but is finger is chocked up enough one handed closing is doable.
sal

Re: Anyone else have a Tanaka?

Post by sal »

Hi Cjcutter,

Welcome to our forum.

It can be closed one handed, but you have to choke up and pay attention due to the weight of the blade.

sal
cjcutter

Post by cjcutter »

sal wrote:Hi Cjcutter,

Welcome to our forum.

It can be closed one handed, but you have to choke up and pay attention due to the weight of the blade.

sal
Thank you sir for the welcome. And yes I totally understand why the enclosed card comes with knife. I learned my lesson choke way up. :)
BTG

Post by BTG »

Yep, and I try to angle the knife at least 45 degrees when releasing the blade so it doesn't fall straight down, slows it some.
Definitely a beast..carried a few times, but has been a permanent fixture on the work bench....gets a ton of use..that is one massive slab of VG10.
Speaking of which, expecting the Rock salt sprint to be an impressive slab of H1 also...hopefully dropping soon.
remnar

Post by remnar »

I have a Tanaka and it carves through trees like butter.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :D
v8r

Post by v8r »

I have one, and carry it enough that the g10 is showing wear. It's got a smooth action, locks up tight, and can be closed one handed. What more could you ask for.......well maybe a different color handle scale, and I would probably loose the painted pocket clip.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

remnar wrote:I have a Tanaka and it carves through trees like butter.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :D
Rofl! I was wondering when someone would comment something like this
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I love the chainsaw comment :)

Sal, would you consider the Tatanka to be a good all-around camping knife, to take on a camping trip, or would you pick another if it was you on the camping trip?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

There was a knife dealer at a large flea market affair I was at over the weekend. The guy had numerous Spyderco knives on the table for sale. I was standing there handling the knives and talking Spydies with a couple of the other guys and one of the guys pulls a Tanaka out of his pocket and hands it to me. I could only smile and say "wow...now that's a knife!". "Beast" is almost an understatement. I handed it back to the guy and pulled the Manbug out of my pocket and told him I was feeling a little inadequate at the moment. :D
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SEF,

When I'm camping or just outside in the woods for a time, I like to carry a fixed blade and a folder. I've used the Tatanka outside, but only for small tasks and though it performed well, I would like to get more personal history. The knife was designed to be a large functional folder. It should perform well.

sal