MT22P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with RWL 34

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
IXLER8

Re: MT22P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with RWL 34

Post by IXLER8 »

Posted review in another ( new) thread for Oleg Krymlin shealth + scales
IXLER8

Post by IXLER8 »

I guess I expected 5000 knife-nuts to be using these daily. =P
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They did not make 5000 of them. How would 5000 people be using them? They are still for sale and a quick glance at the inventory is showing 493 still in stock. I do not know how many were made but there aren't that many out there. I will be picking one up soon. I have used Mules extensively in the woods as field knives and all I can say in regards to toughness is that these are not built to be hard use knives. While they are certainly sturdy they are also typically slicey Spydies.

If you want info on the steel then research CPM154. It is very similar to RWL34, just made by a different manufacturer.

http://damasteel.se/files/2614/1104/305 ... RWL_34.pdf

http://www.crucible.com/PDFs%5CDataShee ... v12010.pdf
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I have yet to make a handle and sheath for mine, but I promise I do have one! I actually have two Mules waiting to be clothed, and I expect that number to grow before I find the time to start working. So many projects!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
sal

Post by sal »

Hi IXLER8,

Welcome to our forum. Thanx for the question.

RWL-34 is made by a small foundry that also makes Damasteel. The steel was always made in strip, and sold to custom makers. There are quite a few custom knives out there, but not production pieces. The makers and customers had spoken highly of the steel, especially its ability to take a very high polish, in addition to good edge retention and toughness.

For production, we need sheet stock that we can cut blades with a laser. Damasteel agreed to make sheet stock if we'd try it in the marketplace. To my knowledge, none of the larger houses have made a production knife with RWL-34. I think our Mule Team s among the first.

I would ask that you use it hard, outdoors as you would any similar knife. I wouldn't suggest prying, because of the thinner grind, but O wold ask that you baton, make fuzz ticks, etc. Beat **** out of it and give us a report. We/you/we are the history being made on this steel.

sal
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Awesome.....very cool!
Makes me wanna order one now!
IXLER8

Post by IXLER8 »

The good, bad and ugly: Beware, truth . Long-ish
Just got back from my trip.
I know this knife is not the best size/shape/design for all tasks. I wanted to test it.
I processed 8 total fish.Again this is not the right tool for the job,I was able to get meat out. I would say 50-ish% as effecient a proper fillet knife.
I suppose deer/other small game would be a bit better. In a pinch would this let one survive? CHECK
Used to baton through 1-2 inch wood to start 2 fires for my new nifty solo type stove ( gassifier).Due to lack of a bigger wedge it wasnt the best or fastest.Worked fine.Hit a few knots that worried me. In a pinch can you process wood for a fire? CHECK ( Do NOT twist hard)
Made tent pegs. CHECK
Cut cord. CHECK
All food prep. Does this rather nice due to thin stock and grind. Really **** nice. CHECK
As this was a test ,did a few other things.
When bored I just cut up/carved various woods I found.This is not really a review of the knife afterall.
As for the steel after 2 days of constant use: Held up great. Still sharp* more on bottom*.No rolling or small/med/large chips.
Still slices PC paper.As expected the super insane sharpness is gone. It has a just fine working edge.
Yea, I am a steel snob. I said it.
IMHO this steel( at least this exact version with this exact HT) is much better then any 10XX , 01 ,A2,VG10,regular 154,anything cold steel uses,D2 and other lower end everyday steels.I think Spyderco and others should have this as a base steel instead of VG10 or regular 154 or similar. It is quite an upgrade.Based on price ofcorse.

*My friend has a device that connects to his PC. A microscope I guess. I looked at the edge after the beating I gave it.It had what that cool guy from japan that tests 9 million knives calls" micro chips". As this was a test I just stropped on my leather with green chalk.Literally for 30 sec.Then 30 sec on bare leather 30 sec.100% restored.Shaved hair easy.**more on bottom*

As I dislike arm devices that sharpen, I have a Work sharp ( Gary Busey edition or whatever his name is).Spent a whopping 2-3 mins on it. It is convex now.The edge is ,well, freeking mirror.Not sort of a shine. I mean like 100% chrome on a car.Actually mirror like. I didnt expect that.Smooth !Under the PC scope the edge is just flawless.
As a fast test I cut into some sticks from the yard after the big storm that just hit.Cuts much,much better now with mirror/convex.Gets stuck less in the wood for some reason. Convex? Im am sure like ALL other forums, here we have a love or hate with convex.I like it better by far,always.

* Last when I went to bed on day 1 I left this RWL 34 and 5 others full of fish blood/guts and a few drops of lemon juice,for the acid.Just laying out.
This was just 8-9 hours. In the heat and moisture.
RWL 34, rinsed off was literally brand new
1095 was totally rusted and gross. had to fuss with it a bit to get cleanish
A2 had a bit of specs. cleaned up ok
S30v like brand new
Bark River 3v,like brand new
o1 rusty,cleaned up in 30 extra seconds.

Running knife into a 2x4 right now.Not sure if it is the small convex or the mirror,or both. Bites deeeep now. quite a bit deeper. Gets stuck less.Just glides right in and out.

I have no devices to measure or special science. By my own personal scale:
Production, easy to get stuff that is not custom ( HT mostly) Toughness / Edge holding / Anti rust 1-10 .
3v is a 10 on my scale / M390 ( Bradford) / H1
S30v 7 7 7
VG10 4-5 4-5 6-7
regular 154 6 4 7
1095 3 1-2 0
3v 10 6 5
M390 (Bradford) 7 10 9
H1 2-3 2-3 10
This exact RWL 34 with this exact HT 8.5 9 9 ( a longer rust test would be better ,but this stuff is legit and special for sure.)

In the case of the mule with the thinness it has and tall design I would not twist much at all.
Sharpens/ mirrors really easy for some odd reason. I would think something with this much retention that is this hard would be a PITA.
IMHO any non large chopper/parang/kukri ect ect that does not need the insane toughness of 3v should be made of this RWL 34. No question.
Throw all those other steels in the trash.Anything below S30v, on my snob-o-meter should be ditched, for good.

Assuming price ( vs Vg10 and other mid range steels) is close: Use this stuff !This is the magic area where price/performance intersect.Bang -for-the buck, if you will.If price is less, I would take this over S30v/35 anyday.

I was quite shocked at the retention and toughness.

As I might be asked : My Scales /sheath are Oleg Krymlin. They held up and worked just fine. Good guy. Good price.No blisters or hot spots.

I am not a forum guy. Been on here for maybe a week, may never post again.
I got this mule on a whim and wondered :
Q :Can I EDC this?
A: F yea I can
Q: Worth the 70 bucks
A: F yea it is, and then some
Q: On duty, in a pinch, if the SHTF, can I count on this. is it a REAL knife?
A: F yea it is,and then some
Q: is this more then a simple light use EDC? Can I take this into the woods for medium use?
A: F yea I can, and did.

Q: Will I main carry this over other knives/brands? This is designed for testing not to be optimum anything
A: No
Q: Backup?
A: F yea

Convex yours ! Makes it a beast!
layed it on top of my new Thodio and took a slice out of the Purple heart !!! Gah

If you want this as a legit user knife, edc . You like the design and price.You're on the fence. BUY it. You will love it and not regret.

Edit :forgot : Feather sticked ok. Not great.Mostly blade shape and lack of convex or scandi.
After convex much better
sal

Post by sal »

Hi IXLER,

I am impressed by both your test and your presentation. This is the kind of stuff we all like as feed-back , especially from materials that have not had an opportunity to do the "cut dance".

Thanx much.

sal
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Way to go IXLER8!!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I like the review. :)

Been a fan of CPM 154 and RWL-34 for a very long time.

Goes a long with what I have seen over the years personally and the Mule Team I tested is excellent.

I think some get confused into thinking that CPM 154/RWL-34 are the same as 154CM/ATS-34...... THEY ARE NOT.... ;)

From my own testing Spyderco did an excellent job HT the steel. :spyder:

That said I doubt it could take the place of S35VN in the same hardness range, S35Vn pushed into the 62 range is excellent, but for a general use option it's great.

I think Spyderco could put out a nice general use Fixed blade in RWL-34/CPM 154 and perhaps a folder, somethings I have been pushing for personally for awhile.. :cool:
Last edited by Ankerson on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:I like the review. :)

Goes a long with what I have seen over the years personally and the Mule Team I tested is excellent.

I think some get confused into thinking that CPM 154/RWL-34 are the same as 154CM/ATS-34...... THEY ARE NOT.... ;)

Ive got one Mule. A K390.
You guys just talked me into my 2nd Mule.
The RWL-34.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:

The RWL-34.
I think you will like it, just use it and enjoy. :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

The RWL-34.
I think you will like it, just use it and enjoy. :)
Lol, Don, if you say its excellent then it is!!!
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

Super tempted by the RWL too. I went with the 4V; after 1-2 weeks of moderate use at work, the blade was still like new. However, once I removed the Halpern scales, I discovered it had started to rust all over the tang. No patina at all, just straight rust. I'm guessing moisture got stuck inside since the G10 is not 100% flush with the steel.

I'm still waiting to see the next mule release, but RWL sounds right down my alley.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Thanks for taking the time to do that review. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Haha, fun to read!
Going back to Caly.
IXLER8

Post by IXLER8 »

Used this for a full day convex.Much better.
Not to start a war here but : I think most of those that do not like convex edges have never owned or used one. or not a proper one.
From my years of use/testing I have found all V typed edges much more chippy/rolley and lose sharpness faster.I use a Work sharp belt system if that matters.
Used it a bit harder, still no breaks or chips.
Outside of 3v, I would say no question this RWL 34 is tougher then 20+ steels I can think of that are stainess or almost stainless.
I think it is tougher then most or all 1095 and A2 ( not Bark River, that A2 is also magic)

* As I got hate mail : I stand corrected. My work sharp is "ken Onion" not Gary Busey,edition.
I was close.

Dear Spyderco ( Sal?):
Make a fixed blade, like the White River Backpacker in RWL 34 at this exact RC.The handle shape at least.
3.5 -3.8 useable blade.
It may become your best seller.
****, put me down for one in advance. Will even test it for ya.

To the 3 who messaged me about my "interesting "name:
I am a pro drag racer on tv / in mags. The name is I X L E R 8 - I accelerate :) Also the plate on 1 of my street cars that runs 8.95@163 on pump gas.Right between my custom brake lights that say "YOU LOSE" when I hit the brakes .

** 1 picky thing about the mule; I know,I know its always the same , testing the steel not the knife.
That said, some of us actually use these as working ,daily tools.
Blade shape is not great for a few reasons.
Any chance for a warncliffe or more of a hunter style? less tall for sure.
Again, Put me down for one, would love to test it for ya.

* EDIT: after thinking for a min : Warncliffe may not be best due to the large finger guard.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Here she is :) The halpern scales arrive tmrw :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Awesome!!
Congratz girl!!
Btw, how would rate sharpness outta the box??
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Excitedly sharp
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb