MT22P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with RWL 34

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
paladin

Re: MT22P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with RWL 34

Post by paladin »

so many steels, so little time ;) ...thanks Sal :)
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

I know these only just went up for sale, but does anyone have an idea how RWL34 would compare to 4V in edge retention, ease of sharpening, and toughness? Thinking about picking up one or the other and trying to decide (leaning toward RWL34 since it's stainless). Intended use is as all around utility fixed blade (hiking/backpacking, food prep, whittling, etc.).
kosta

Post by kosta »

I have bought)
Emrys

Post by Emrys »

Only bought one Mule this time as I was seduced into buying a pair of Stainless Ladybugs (PE & SE)
WMR

Post by WMR »

Well, I ordered mine and look forward to its slow arrival. UPS ground is similar to Pony Express when you live in Florida.
Only other complaint with the Mule Team is that when #22 arrives, I will still only have 21 mules to display. (The others are in use.) I think it was #14 that died before being released. Is there any hope for that one being fixed? Or will we always be one short?? :)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

WMR wrote:Well, I ordered mine and look forward to its slow arrival. UPS ground is similar to Pony Express when you live in Florida.
Only other complaint with the Mule Team is that when #22 arrives, I will still only have 21 mules to display. (The others are in use.) I think it was #14 that died before being released. Is there any hope for that one being fixed? Or will we always be one short?? :)

UPS ground is terrible...

You could be 50 miles away and it will still take 7 days to get there. :rolleyes:

I always use USPS or FEDEX.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Hey at least you guys have the option of using UPS ground, they don't even do ground to my neck of the woods so anything ordered from the mother ship has to go air and cost $15, which I don't understand because a USPS flat rate box is only $6, that's the main reason I never got the 2016 calendar, the shipping was more than than the dang calendar. :(
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

farnorthdan wrote:Hey at least you guys have the option of using UPS ground, they don't even do ground to my neck of the woods so anything ordered from the mother ship has to go air and cost $15, which I don't understand because a USPS flat rate box is only $6, that's the main reason I never got the 2016 calendar, the shipping was more than than the dang calendar. :(

Still better than seeing your package sit in one spot for 4 or 5 freaking days before it moves.

Could have been there 2 times USPS before it even started to move UPS.

From what I have seen over the years it only really takes like 2 or 3 days actual time in real movement for things to get were they are going UPS. They freaking sit on it for the rest of the time. Biggest rip off in shipping IMO.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Ankerson wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:Hey at least you guys have the option of using UPS ground, they don't even do ground to my neck of the woods so anything ordered from the mother ship has to go air and cost $15, which I don't understand because a USPS flat rate box is only $6, that's the main reason I never got the 2016 calendar, the shipping was more than than the dang calendar. :(

Still better than seeing your package sit in one spot for 4 or 5 freaking days before it moves.

Could have been there 2 times USPS before it even started to move UPS.

From what I have seen over the years it only really takes like 2 or 3 days actual time in real movement for things to get were they are going UPS. They freaking sit on it for the rest of the time. Biggest rip off in shipping IMO.
Oh I hear you brother, I've had the unpleasant pleasure of having things shipped air by UPS, paid for 2nd day air only to have it arrive a week later. I also had them leave a package tied to my chain link fence gate only to have it stolen. What drives my crazy are companies that only offer UPS or FedX and wont even consider using USPS even after calling and talking to them, I still don't understand why.

Back on MT track: I'm still really excited to get another one of these great knifes and consider the price Spyderco offers them at very generous for what you are actually getting. I'm really thinking about trying my hand at making my own scales for this one, especially after seeing some of the work others are doing around here.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Got mine today, it's great, fit and finish are excellent and it's .019" behind the edge. :cool:

Need to start the testing process now. :D :spyder:

This is going to be fun. :)

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Ordered one each of the 4V and RWL34. Tossed in a SpyderCoin and lapel pin to get me over the $150 threshold for free shipping.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

jabba359 wrote:Ordered one each of the 4V and RWL34. Tossed in a SpyderCoin and lapel pin to get me over the $150 threshold for free shipping.
As did I! Except I went for a couple of G clips to top $150, for my tinkering pleasure.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
IXLER8

Post by IXLER8 »

So, some time has passed.For those that actually use and not just collect :
What are thoughts on this RWl 34?
How would users and testers rate the toughness at this RC? What does it act like?
Any chipping or rolling issues with actual use? As my edge last and lasts,I assume RC is high.Usually this means brittle.
I am scared to use it more then very light.
Is this really a letter opener and food prep and really light duty?
OR can I do some medium use stuff in the woods?
Will it chip out battoning a 1-2 inch piece of wood to start a fire?
How about anti rust-ness in real world use.
Any charpy or similar test for toughness yet? I dont mean RWL 34 in general, I mean this exact knife.
Can I use this as if it was CPM 154 or good S30v, all things the same? Or are we talking more like ZDP

I "EDC" mine on duty and in normal life. Can I count on this ,OR is chipping/breakage/rolls in the cards?

ANY info from tests /use ( not theorycraft) would be great.
TY in advance

* B4 someone says it : I read the great review from that Ankerson person.
Said much about the retention but nothing about toughness or anti rust properties

I realise this is a FFG quite thin blade.Is it a piece of glass I should baby and leave at home?

**Mine came with an odd tip.(new) it is a bit wavey and different color.very very slight bend to it.
Did my tip get burned,is HT bad at the very point?

For all I know, everyone collects these and nobody actually uses them day to day...but me.

**Incase any care and ask : I got the "Oleg Krymlin" Scales and sheath.
I could review if any care.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Mule Team fixed blade was a wonderdul idea by Sal and Co. I use mine all the time. So handy and so efficient. This thread has got me really wanting another.
Prolly the RWL 34
SG89

Post by SG89 »

IXLER8 wrote:So, some time has passed.For those that actually use and not just collect :
What are thoughts on this RWl 34?
How would users and testers rate the toughness at this RC? What does it act like?
Any chipping or rolling issues with actual use? As my edge last and lasts,I assume RC is high.Usually this means brittle.
I am scared to use it more then very light.
Is this really a letter opener and food prep and really light duty?
OR can I do some medium use stuff in the woods?
Will it chip out battoning a 1-2 inch piece of wood to start a fire?
How about anti rust-ness in real world use.
Any charpy or similar test for toughness yet? I dont mean RWL 34 in general, I mean this exact knife.
Can I use this as if it was CPM 154 or good S30v, all things the same? Or are we talking more like ZDP

I "EDC" mine on duty and in normal life. Can I count on this ,OR is chipping/breakage/rolls in the cards?

ANY info from tests /use ( not theorycraft) would be great.
TY in advance

* B4 someone says it : I read the great review from that Ankerson person.
Said much about the retention but nothing about toughness or anti rust properties

I realise this is a FFG quite thin blade.Is it a piece of glass I should baby and leave at home?

**Mine came with an odd tip.(new) it is a bit wavey and different color.very very slight bend to it.
Did my tip get burned,is HT bad at the very point?

For all I know, everyone collects these and nobody actually uses them day to day...but me.

**Incase any care and ask : I got the "Oleg Krymlin" Scales and sheath.
I could review if any care.
We love reviews :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SG89

Post by SG89 »

MacLaren wrote:The Mule Team fixed blade was a wonderdul idea by Sal and Co. I use mine all the time. So handy and so efficient. This thread has got me really wanting another.
Prolly the RWL 34
I ordered the RWL34 today... You should too!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
MacLaren wrote:The Mule Team fixed blade was a wonderdul idea by Sal and Co. I use mine all the time. So handy and so efficient. This thread has got me really wanting another.
Prolly the RWL 34
I ordered the RWL34 today... You should too!
I know right?
Congratz though! Will this be your first Mule?
Also, the Halpern Scales that I want are out of stock.
Which really is ok, because I'd be lucky to have enough loot to swing for the Mule by itself at this time.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:Got mine today, it's great, fit and finish are excellent and it's .019" behind the edge. :cool:

Need to start the testing process now. :D :spyder:

This is going to be fun. :)

These are the scales that I want...
IXLER8

Post by IXLER8 »

Odd so many have this, and no other reviews or tests or toughness info
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don't think that these are flying off the shelf. That is probably why there are very few reviews. I have so far been loving my 4V mule but haven't picked this one up yet.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?