Rhino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: Rhino

Post by SG89 »

Spydersense wrote:
mrtodd777 wrote:I hate to pre order because I never know how long its going to take to get my knife shipped. Does anyone know if these will be readily available at all the normal dealers at the same time?

In my opinion, pre-ordering is a waste of effort. The few times that I've pre-ordered knives, I ended up snagging one sooner and cancelled my pre-order.
This all day
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
BTG

Post by BTG »

Spydersense wrote:
mrtodd777 wrote:I hate to pre order because I never know how long its going to take to get my knife shipped. Does anyone know if these will be readily available at all the normal dealers at the same time?

In my opinion, pre-ordering is a waste of effort. The few times that I've pre-ordered knives, I ended up snagging one sooner and cancelled my pre-order.
I just started last summer and so far it's worked out well, there were a few like the s110 v Pm2 where very few are released at a time, I've gotten first batch, I'm impatient so it works for me....but even with pre order you gotta get on the list early or it doesn't make a difference....and now with Map it's not like you can wait and find it cheaper, if it's 40% off that's about as good as it's going to get
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I pre-ordered but kind of late. I figure for the price I'll get on the list. If I find one somewhere else first I'll buy it and sell the extra or give it to one of my kids or a friend.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

I just received an email from KW. It stated that the Rhino was processing and that it would ship soon. Is this just a regular update? Or is it about to drop?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

If it looks like the one I just got, then it's just a regular update:

Ordered: 1
In Stock: 0
Part Number: SP210GP
Description: Spyderco C210GP Reinhold Rhino Folding Knife 2.35" CTS BD1 Satin Plain Blade, Black G10 Handles
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Yeah mine is just like that. Thanks a lot.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Waiting eagerly... biting nails...
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

BDNX wrote:I was very interested in this design early on when I saw it....and I LOVE CTS-BD1 steel....I think it will work great on a small folder such as this. Congrats again on the collaboration, Michael! Looking forward to trying one myself!
Thanks, man! I really appreciate the kind words. :) I am hoping you will like it!
bearfacedkiller wrote:
hom76 wrote:I just noticed that it is made in Taipei Taiwan and not Taichung. Is it a new subcontractor of Spyderco? Any idea of the quality of their work?
I believe they make the Cat and Chicago.
Yes, that is my understanding too. I think the FB Reverse is also made in Taipei, if I'm not mistaken.

Sharp Guy wrote:I pre-ordered but kind of late. I figure for the price I'll get on the list. If I find one somewhere else first I'll buy it and sell the extra or give it to one of my kids or a friend.
That's always been my theory with pre-orders too. Although, I've only really ever pre-ordered on two occasions that I can think of (and both occasions involved Sprint runs). In both instances, I ended up cancelling the pre-orders because some of the generous folks here offered to sell me one of their extra models. Every little bit helps, but I usually don't worry too much about pre-ordering anymore. ;)

Cogito wrote:I just received an email from KW. It stated that the Rhino was processing and that it would ship soon. Is this just a regular update? Or is it about to drop?
abbazaba wrote:If it looks like the one I just got, then it's just a regular update:

Ordered: 1
In Stock: 0
Part Number: SP210GP
Description: Spyderco C210GP Reinhold Rhino Folding Knife 2.35" CTS BD1 Satin Plain Blade, Black G10 Handles
It looks like we're getting very close to go-time, Ladies and Gents. I've not had a Rhino in my pocket for over a year now, so I am beyond excited to see the final Spyderco version! :D
clovisc wrote:Waiting eagerly... biting nails...
Yes indeed! My heart skips a beat every time this thread pops up, lol.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Thank you, Michael
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

I was hoping to have this before my trip to New York. I'm not sure what the laws are out there, and I thought this would be the perfect size.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Cogito wrote:I was hoping to have this before my trip to New York. I'm not sure what the laws are out there, and I thought this would be the perfect size.
You're quite welcome. :) I did a little research on knife laws in New York and found some interesting links:

http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?op ... iew&id=233

http://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/new-york/

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Edit
Last edited by Cogito on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Cogito wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Cogito wrote:I was hoping to have this before my trip to New York. I'm not sure what the laws are out there, and I thought this would be the perfect size.
You're quite welcome. :) I did a little research on knife laws in New York and found some interesting links:

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Michael
You're the man!!!
I was pondering whether or not to buy two rhinos instead of one, but now I have to get two because the knife designer is so **** cool!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Cogito wrote:
Cogito wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Michael
You're the man!!!
I was pondering whether or not to buy two rhinos instead of one, but now I have to get two because the knife designer is so **** cool!
You are quite welcome, my friend. :) It was actually a good learning experience for me too regarding New York's knife carry laws. Always glad to help!

SG89

Post by SG89 »

Hi Michael, will the Rhino have a liner recess like the PM2?
Spydergirl88
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Hi Michael, will the Rhino have a liner recess like the PM2?
Hi Spydergirl88,

I am fairly certain that it will. I am basing this off of Wouter's fine picture, but it appears that the liners will be recessed:

Man, Wouter's pictures really have me wanting a Rhino! :D

SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sweet. Can't wait
Spydergirl88
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I'm gonna buy a rhino because it's a "mini-scimitar" with the excellent compression lock and a spyderhole. Of course the price is great too. I'm thinking it may replace my DF2s for a while...
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

Wow. What a thread. And what a knife.

I have this idea in my head that I will pitch to people in the industry, of perhaps using this knife as a fundraiser, with the profits going straight into a fund to assist with the efforts against rhino poaching.

Rhino poaching is a huge problem here in South Africa, but the the anti-poaching units are seeing the results of their hard work. The problem is that it costs money, and they are reliant on donations to make it all tick over.

I think this knife may be just the ticket for such a fundraiser.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Wow, a really admirable and all too appropriate cause Skaaphaas. I don't know what the feasibility of such a collaboration is, but I love the idea. Everybody wins there, except of course the poachers who really deserve the loss. Bums.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."