Pliers

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
i am travvy

Pliers

Post by i am travvy »

So while out fishing today I was sitting there admiring my dfly salt. H1 steel just amazes me. I use to go through so many knives because of rust, but now I just need one. Then I started thinking about the other items I always have to toss out because of rust. Especially my pliers. Seems like I will go out, buy the best stainless pliers I can find, use them once and then next time I go to use them I can't because they can't even open anymore. I had a thought, man I wish I could have some nice fishing pliers made out of h1 or something. Do yall think something like this could even be possible? My idea would be something that kind of unfolds like a leatherman, maybe with the spyderfly handles and a hemostat like head. What do yall think? Maybe too specialty for them to actually produce but I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
SpyderNut

Re: Pliers

Post by SpyderNut »

It would be cool to see something like this, but I'd wager that using H1 steel for something like pliers would be pretty crazy expensive. :( FWIW, I've used the same Channel-Lock needle-nose pliers (326) for 20+ years for freshwater fishing. They developed a nice patina over time, but I have prevented rust by keeping them oiled fairly often.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Yeah I'm sure cost would be high. I think the longest I've had a pair of pliers last me was 3-4 trips. And that's with rinsing them off in fresh water and drying them out. Only downside about the saltwater is that it's so hard on everything.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I think you need to try something new with your pliers man.

I'm not around salt water but 3 or 4 trips before you need a new tool doesn't seam right.

Hey Sal

We need a rust proof multitool bad

Rust is a problem with my work tool because of salt and ice in the winter time.

lots of us use our tools and rust sucks.

Thanks
awa54

Post by awa54 »

You may have already hit on the answer; a big set of hemostats or bandage clamps could do the job of a set of pliers pretty well and surgical instruments tend to be very stain resistant.

Alternately the *mumble* Victorinox *cough* multi-tool's pliers seem to be as stainless as the blades in my use (no staying salty for long periods though).
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
brj

Post by brj »

An H-1 multi-tool w/ pliers would definitely rock. Maybe on that new multi-tool concept that got referenced in the Para3 thread over on BF? ;)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

A multitool would be really handy on my kayak but i have never even bothered because I know all those little tools would be rusted shut within a month. Anyway, I would be into some type of mt with pliers but as far as plain pliers go, there are already a plethora of aluminum fishing pliers that you can buy for $50 or so. I have a pair by calcutta that work fine for hook removal and the other work I do out there. I wouldn't want to use em on a construction site or anything, but they are fine for their intended purpose.

FWIW, I got over a year of daily kayak use out of a pair of $5 needle nose pliers. Hit em with a shot of wd40 every time you come in. Sure, they still rusted out but they at least remained functional for a year.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There is one solution for salt water usage that I think you should take a serious look at. I know all of you are aware of the FLITZ line of products and most particulary their great polish. Well FLITZ has another great product that I've had great luck with concerning corrosion resistance. I'm speaking of the "metal wax" that FLITZ makes. I've used their metal wax on many tools and even firearms and have had great luck with it.

To get FLITZ metal wax to perform well you must make sure the surface is clean before you apply it. But you can prep a surface with 91% Isopropyl alcohol ( rubbing alcohol) that you can get at any major drug store chain. Also laquer thinner or mineral spirits are also great to clean and prep metal with. But I've found that FLITZ metal wax holds on very well. And it works great in salt water environments in the limited times I've used it around salt water.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Thanks for the replies guys. All very useful tips.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

JD Spydo wrote:There is one solution for salt water usage that I think you should take a serious look at. I know all of you are aware of the FLITZ line of products and most particulary their great polish. Well FLITZ has another great product that I've had great luck with concerning corrosion resistance. I'm speaking of the "metal wax" that FLITZ makes. I've used their metal wax on many tools and even firearms and have had great luck with it.

To get FLITZ metal wax to perform well you must make sure the surface is clean before you apply it. But you can prep a surface with 91% Isopropyl alcohol ( rubbing alcohol) that you can get at any major drug store chain. Also laquer thinner or mineral spirits are also great to clean and prep metal with. But I've found that FLITZ metal wax holds on very well. And it works great in salt water environments in the limited times I've used it around salt water.
I'm a fan of flitz polish . It works very well.

I have not tried the metal wax but I have plans to now. It might be just what I need for my tools in the winter time.

Thanks JD I'm going to look into that wax more
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

I went from channel lock to knipex four years ago and will never go back
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Do they still make chromed pliers these days?

Spyderco might be able to make pliers out of N680 pretty cheaply. It does not rust easily, if at all.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:I went from channel lock to knipex four years ago and will never go back
That's extremely interesting because for many years I've had nothing but ChannelLock and SK pliers and I've just had the best luck with both brands of pliers. But if this brand "knipex" is even better I've just got to see that to believe it.

I will stand firm on one tool however>> because if you want any type of locking plier, welding clamp, needle nosed locking pliers or about 50 other great locking tools I could mention I've never found anything better than the original VICE-GRIP brand of locking pliers. And I've had the Sears Craftsmen and even Snap-On's locking pliers and not even any of them were as good as the VICE-GRIP brand IMO.

However on most any other mechanics type tool I've ever used I would have to say that SNAP-On is tops
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Doc Dan wrote:Do they still make chromed pliers these days?
Interesting that you mentioned this Doc.

Last year I gave my wife, (at the time), a nice high quality chromed needle nose pliers to use for her craft projects. I had the pliers for years and they were top shelf. Three days later she left without notice, never to return. That was the good part.
Downside was she took my good chromed pliers with her.

As I have often said, "There is no justice in this world." :mad: :D
Last edited by El Gato on Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:I went from channel lock to knipex four years ago and will never go back

Yep, great choice. Love mine.
I see recently it appears other brands are beginning to relabel, or atleast license the Knipex designs...

Have some interesting Facoms as well.
Going back to Caly.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Knipex are some of the highest quality tools money can buy...
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
swigert

Post by swigert »

Knipex are amazing. Love mine. Wouldn't use anything else.
Tinkerer

Post by Tinkerer »

There is knothing like a Knipex!

My largest pair below is more than a decade old. My smallest pair is for pocket EDC. These things work incredibly well. Expensive but worth it.

(I have included Spyderco content in a lame attempt to stay on topic). :)
Tinkerer

Post by Tinkerer »

JD Spydo wrote:
That's extremely interesting because for many years I've had nothing but ChannelLock and SK pliers and I've just had the best luck with both brands of pliers. But if this brand "knipex" is even better I've just got to see that to believe it.

JD,

If you are talking about water pump type pliers, in my opinion the Knipex Cobra pliers are absolutely better than any ChannelLock I have ever seen.
If you opt to buy a pair, make sure that they are the Cobra model instead of the Alligator model. The Cobra model has more adjustment steps and you can lock in the desired step with the silver button. The Alligators are still good, but they don't have as many adjustments and you can't lock in a particular step.
The 2 smaller pliers in my photos are Cobras and the big one is an Alligator - you can see the difference. When I bought my Alligator, the Cobras were not yet available but the Alligators were still better than anything else made at the time.

(I also agree with you on locking pliers - VICE-GRIP are the absolute best of that type.)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

El Gato wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:Do they still make chromed pliers these days?
Interesting that you mentioned this Doc.

Last year I gave my wife, (at the time), a nice high quality chromed needle nose pliers to use for her craft projects. I had the pliers for years and they were top shelf. Three days later she left without notice, never to return. That was the good part.
Downside was she took my good chromed pliers with her.

As I have often said, "There is no justice in this world." :mad: :D
Perhaps you should have gotten them in the settlement. :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050