My French Dyad Family

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bob from France

My French Dyad Family

Post by Bob from France »

My Dyad family
I miss just one
C39P&S
Dyad jr
Black micarta with Gin 1 / G~2 blades 97/98

RadioactiveSpyder

Re: My French Dyad Family

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Beautiful collection Bob! It's such an interesting model. I just checked my Micarta Jr. and it's also the ATS-55 version.

I don't have any of the FRN versions nor the two micro Dyads, but that stunning black pearl one is very high on my must-have list! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Great collection!
I like the Jr's.
Very handy folders. When I carry mine I for some reason ALWAYS push on the wrong lock to disengage the blade, and I have to reposition to the other lockbar...

Any idea why the light blue one has a screw pivot for the SE blade? Was the pin removed and replaced only on that side?
Going back to Caly.
Bob from France

The SL FRN has two screw pivots one for the PE and one for the SE
Bob from France

À question for You guys : has the Gin 1 / G2 version a painted clip or o SS clip ?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Bob from France wrote:The SL FRN has two screw pivots one for the PE and one for the SE

I did not know that one was called the SL.

So, the screw heads are on opposite sides?
Going back to Caly.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Very nice collection Bob, these are the only one I have, both Jr, still need a full size one of these days perhaps

Last edited by farnorthdan on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

farnorthdan wrote:Very nice collection Bob, these are the only one I have, both micro, still need a full size one of these days perhaps

Oh you have one with screw pivots, too!

I have the dark blue one and I thought it was a "Jr", not a micro? Or SL?
I guess I am pretty confused on Dyad variations, lol

Excuse the Endura...
Going back to Caly.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Very nice collection.
Thank you for sharing
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Very nicely done, Bob! I admire your Dyad collection very much. :) Interestingly, I had my Dyad Jr. out today for purposes of measuring the blade thickness. (FWIW, it turns out both blades ring in at 0.78").
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Brother you've got the needle on my "envy meter" going as crazy as one of our American politicians doing a polygraph test :eek: I've been a hard core Spyderco Dyad fan; or to be more exact a Dyad "fanatic" since the early 2000s. I've owned just about everything you have pictured except the jigged bone Micro Dyad and I still have a couple of the C-44 Dyads for EDC use.

I would love to see them do a Sprint Run of the C-44 with the plain edged blade in one of the supersteels and the sheepsfoot Spyderedged blade either in H-1 or LC200N. That would make a perfect EDC folder for a seaman or just a great every day carry for a hard working guy like myself ;)

The concept of the Dyad in my humble opinion could really be a great icon for Spyderco if they would do more with it. Because when you look at how many premium double bladed folders there are on the open market Spyderco could really hit a lot of target markets>> because there just aren't that many double-bladed folders out there>> at least premium quality models from respectable companies.

Again your collection makes me GREEN with envy :D
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Great collection of a great knife.
Thanks.
Mike
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bob from France wrote:À question for You guys : has the Gin 1 / G2 version a painted clip or o SS clip ?
Well "Bob From France" I just can't answer that question with any accuracy because I've heard conflicting information on GIN-1 Dyad models over the years. Also with all the ones I've owned ( and I've owned quite a few of them) I've never ever even seen a Dyad model with GIN-1 blade steel. Now I have an older Spyderco catalog that had GIN-1 Dyad models listed on the spec sheet part of the catalog but like many other models and the 440v C-50 Centofante model being another prime example>> I've never been able to find one. And I'm doubtful if either one actually exists :(

I've also heard of and seen one of the smaller Spyderco catalogs list a GIN-1 Merlin model but I never ever seen one of them either :( .

Now I did see with my own eyes a blue handled C-44 Dyad at a knife show several years back. The guy who had it told me that it was a prototype and not a production model but he did tell me that there were a few of those in collections. But that was the only one of them I ever seen or even heard of for that matter. It's certainly possible that there were prototype GIN-1 Dyad models out there at one point because the at the inception of the first Dyad models Spyderco still had a few of their knives still offered in GIN-1. Again you have a stunning and enviable collection. But you aren't the only Dyad fan here I can assure you of that ;)
Bob from France

The blue FRN is a sprint run > not a SL (sorry for the abuse term)
And it has two opposite screw pivots
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bob from France wrote:The blue FRN is a sprint run > not a SL (sorry for the abuse term)
And it has two opposite screw pivots
Wasn't the Burgundy Dyad Jr. also a Sprint run? Because I had both the blue(teal) and the Burgundy and I got them both from the same dealer. But again concerning the blue Micarta handled C-44 that I saw at a booth at a knife show a few years back I do believe was a prototype as he said it was. Because that was the only one of them I ever seen. I never seen one on Ebay or on any of the knife forums. Unless it was a model designated for a promotional to a specific region>>> I would compare the gray Matriarch which was originally only released in South Africa. But I doubt it I still think it was a prototype of some sort.
Bob from France

I think Sal is the one who could say If the Gin1/G2 is real or not ...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bob from France wrote:I think Sal is the one who could say If the Gin1/G2 is real or not ...
It would make sense that they would have made their first prototype Dyad Jr. models in GIN-1 for two reasons>> One I'm sure that there was a lot of bar stock around to make prototypes with and it only makes sense to make the first run as economical as you can to see if the public is even going to like them to begin with. Second they may have had them on the drawing board or even made a prototype before ATS-55 was even available>> because you know that most Dyads are made with ATS-55>> at least the earlier ones. The remainder of them were made with VG-10.

Also I'm wondering because I just don't know for sure if the Micarta Dyad Jr. was made first or was the FRN Dyad Jr. made first? I'm curious because to me that Micarta Dyad Jr. is one of about 7 Spyderco models that I truly consider in the "holy grail" category.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I will always love the Spyderco C-44 Dyad model as well as the Micarta version of the C-39 Dyad. The bigger C-44 Dyad has been on my all time top 10 list ( JD's Top 10 Spyders) for years now and I doubt if anything will unseat it anytime soon. But I don't want to stop there>> because I would like to see Spyderco take their "double-bladed" concept that they used for the Dyad model and hopefully offer up other types of models in a double-bladed format.

For instance I would like to see maybe a Dyad-Hawkbill folder > or even a Dyad Reverse S folder.. Or for Spyderco to do some type of double bladed knife that would target market the gardening and horticulture market. Because I'm hearing more and more people testifying about certain Spyderco models being great gardening tools>> particularly in the H-1 Salt Series.

To me "double-bladed" EDC type folders just make great sense any way you look at it.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Great blades, still hoping someday they'll make a single bladed version of the SE "crocodile" style blade.

How about the related Byrd version or just sticking to true Spyderco's?
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Great collection. I just picked up my first Dyad, it is an original large one! Should be here this week.