Spyderco blades with 440 series steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco blades with 440 series steel?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Everyone, what are some Spyderco knife-models that have used 440 series stainless steel for the blades, and what do you find to be the pros and cons using the steel from this series, such as 440 C? One reason I ask is because I read a statement made by a knife-maker, that claimed 440 stainless steel, when properly heat-treated and finished, tends to be one of the hardest and most wear-resistant blade steels available. I am sure there are other "super steels" such as Cruwear which may have advantages over it, though.

But how would you say, for example, 440 compares to, say, VG-10 and other, newer blade steels on Spyderco fixed and folder blades?

As a test example, say you could have a Spyderco Military, Paramilitary, or Endura or Delica, in 440 vs the current steels they come in, like VG10 and others, what would you personally prefer as far as edge-holding, corrosion-resistance, and other factors?
paladin

Re: Spyderco blades with 440 series steel?

Post by paladin »

Serrata...it's cast

reportedly super toothy, great for fibrous tough stuff-- no batoning or throwing though...
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I think my only 440c is my Cat and I haven't used it much, but this is an interest topic, so I'm bumping it in hopes some of the older hands (in Spydie ownership terms) will notice it and chime in. Also Ankerson's test thread might be instructive.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

440C is very corrosion resistant. More so than VG10 or AUS8. I find it a very usable and easy to sharpen product as used in Spyderco knives.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

440C is a decent stainless steel but certainly not "cutting edge" these days. I've only got one 440C knife (a Chinese Boker). It seems ok but it may actually be 8Cr, you never know.

I've seen small time makers claim properly heat treated 440C is all you ever need in a knife. To me it sounds a little suspect. It costs time and money for a maker to hone his process on a new steel. 440C is also inexpensive and easy to come by.

But that said... I've got no issue with VG-10 and 440C is in the same ballpark of performance.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyderco had quite a few very interesting and some that are even collector pieces with 440C blade steel. Some that come to mind are the original Golden, Colorado USA made MEERKAT model whereas the Japan made unit had AUS-6. Also the novelty, unique "Q" knives were mostly made with 440C as well. The new fixed blade Serrata which was earlier mentioned was made with a cast version of 440C and from what I'm told is a completely different animal all together.

Now I have quite a few of the older GOLDEN, CO USA Earth Spyderco models made with 440V which I'm not sure is in the same category as 440C blade steel is. But it is a steel I still like and especially in Spyderedge. Now I did have a "Q" model in full SE and it also was a great steel for Spyderedged models as well IMO but not quite the performer 440V is.

I've heard on other knife forums that 440C does have excellent corrosion resistance and great edge retention as well. To this very day a well known German knife company BOKER still uses 440C in many of their mainline models and they sell very well.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

From what i've been told, 440V is aka S60V and quite different from 440C
Here's my Meerkat in 440C, a nice li'l knife! :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I've a recently acquired Lil' Temp in 440V, if we're looking for old-skool-Spydies.

As to the pros and cons of 440, as requested by the OP, these are widely available via any old search engine.....We've been using the 440 series for cutlery for a good long time and it's well characterized. It takes a high polish, has high stain resistance but edge retention isn't comparable to many of the super-steels we get to see from Spyderco.

There are obvious improvements from the run-of-the-mill stamped sheet 440A/B/C to the powder metallurgy and investment cast versions, but it's still a well-rounded cutlery steel.

It does get a bad rap from some folks because some makers don't have optimal heat-treatment....I had a 440C Hattori Baby Junglee that was softer as a well ripened Brie. On the other hand, I have a 1982 Gerber Mk2 in 440C which stays sharp far longer.

Would I turn my nose up at a 440C Spyderco today?- Nope, because I know the HT will be spot on.
Last edited by demoncase on Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

CPM-440V is the old name for CPM-S60V.

CPM-S60V and Elmax are very similar with some difference in chemistry.

440 class steel covers a very very wide range of steel alloy ranges.

A lot the current "super steels" are 440C class steels with added tweaks in composition here and there with powdered technology.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Only 440C Spydie I own is the S. It's been holding up great against corrosion and the edge retention is better than expected, but then again, it's no heavy use knife in my case.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

DutchBlades wrote:Only 440C Spydie I own is the S. It's been holding up great against corrosion and the edge retention is better than expected, but then again, it's no heavy use knife in my case.
I've got one too- but being a powder-metallurgy 440C (rather than a straight stamped/ground one), I think the performance is meant to be better than standard. I want to say more dendrite carbides is the reason, but I'm going from memory on the fly here, so someone is sure to put me right. :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

demoncase wrote:
DutchBlades wrote:Only 440C Spydie I own is the S. It's been holding up great against corrosion and the edge retention is better than expected, but then again, it's no heavy use knife in my case.
I've got one too- but being a powder-metallurgy 440C (rather than a straight stamped/ground one), I think the performance is meant to be better than standard. I want to say more dendrite carbides is the reason, but I'm going from memory on the fly here, so someone is sure to put me right. :D
440C does have the highest carbon content in comparison to other 440 series steels, so it should be a better performing steel than straight 440 or 440A.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a Cat that seems to hold an edge pretty good. But I have some old Bucks in 440C that, with Buck's famous heat treatment, will certainly give a lot of newer steels a run for their money in edge holding, and does not rust easily.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Doc Dan wrote:I have a Cat that seems to hold an edge pretty good. But I have some old Bucks in 440C that, with Buck's famous heat treatment, will certainly give a lot of newer steels a run for their money in edge holding, and does not rust easily.
I have to second that.. My 110's and 112's performed better than they had the right to! :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.