Hello. My name is Sid, and I am a Spydercoholic.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderMule

Hello. My name is Sid, and I am a Spydercoholic.

Post by SpyderMule »

So last month when I joined this forum, I had only 2 newly-purchased Spydies: a recently-released and numbered HAPlica, and a Toxic LadyHawk.

They completely re-fueled my love for Spyderco so much, that I made it my goal to re-purchase/re-secure EVERY model in the exact same color, generation, blade type that I once owned and had given/traded to friends and family over the last 20-25 years.

So I did - and now have all of those, and more.

The fix that re-ignited my addiction, my No.22 Burnt-orange HAP40 Delica.

The very first-gen, first Spydie ever: Sal's C01 Worker from the 1981 Texas State Fair, that I featured here on the board a few weeks ago, along with some family descendants.

The first Spydie I ever owned - a 1994 Dragonfly w/ plain-edged blade and monolithic FRN Clipit handle, alongside its Spyder-edged Clipit sister (both obtained both from a collector in Europe). I show the yellow/black box for one in the group-shot of Spydieboxes. These Clipits were shot on an angle, so the D-Flys appear in slightly different sizes, but are not. Also snagged this early-90's blue-handled SE Clipit Delica. I love early-version Spydies.

Here is my original Solo by Spyderco, together with its original leather sheath. I had traded it to a good friend back in '96 when I lived in New Orleans. When I told him I was officially collecting - he was cool enough to let me get her back by trading him some fishing gear. One slick l'il b*tch.

A Man and his Ladies…

My larger models, (so far)! Love the Pacific H1 Salt, and the blade shape and look on the blue Rescue. (Okay - I love the Emerson-waved Endura and the Lightweight Manix2, too.)

2 of my faves. The Firefly is such a cool-looking, hot-colored gents folder (I disappointedly overlooked including it in my group shot); and the Meerkat is a wicked, compact-sized knife in appearance and function, especially with its phantom lock. Must say I prefer the sprint-run blue-gray handled version more than the original black-handled production).

Had to include my Byrds. Dig the early 'feathered' handles, and I was elated to find a first-gen Crow, even in its used condition. The all-steel Byrd was a gift to my Father-in-law around 2008, who passed a few years ago. My brother-in-law gave it to me last week when he found out I was officially collecting Spydies. Also - I have a FireByrd en route to me from the Ukraine as we speak.

Lastly, my go-to, daily Spydie - the Caly 3.5.
The perfect knife, IMO. Size/shape/thinness/ergonomics can perfectly serve in both the office and jungle - and I love this original G-10 Version.
The clincher, for me, is that it's a Sal design with Sal's logo on the VG-10 blade, and is a model he himself has carried. Case closed for me.

Thank you all for checking out my post, and for being so cool to me here on the forum for the Greatest Knife Brand in the World!
Sid
Last edited by SpyderMule on Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: Hello. My name is Sid, and I am a Spydercoholic.

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi Sid, holy cow you've been busy! You seem to have about as much control of your Spyderco habit as I do! ;). That's a very impressive collection inflation over the last month! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Haha! Nice to have you here, along with the rest of us Spyder-holics. ;) There's no cure for this disease; just bring out the Visa and Mastercard! :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome back to the madness, nice collection you have amassed so quickly.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

Wow. Great pictures and collection. That's pretty much what my fantasy looks like when I see a yard sale. I picture someone saying their relative left this box of old knives with holes in the blades. And I hear-'give me $5 a piece.' Not wishing anything bad on you Sid. My smallish collection of Spydercos contains some excellent knives but the more popular sellers. I'm thinking about a Kiwi. And I'd love to get my hands on a plain edge Q. I'm going to start the search soon.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sid,

Great pieces and great pics. thanx for the memory trip.

sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Welcome to the forum, Sid. Thank you for the cool pictures. You just encouraged me to get another Spyderco Endura Emerson Wave.
Question about that Rescue model: was that how it came originally, or, is that a modification?
SpyderMule

Post by SpyderMule »

TY all for the nice responses - and once again to Sal himself for taking the time to respond to another of my threads! #Honored! #NotWorthy!
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Welcome to the forum, Sid. Thank you for the cool pictures. You just encouraged me to get another Spyderco Endura Emerson Wave.
Question about that Rescue model: was that how it came originally, or, is that a modification?
SpyderEdgeForever - thanks. As for the blade on the blue Rescue, I purchased the knife 'new' on eBay - and it was described as discontinued model no. C14SBL. (I didn't suspect it to be anything but original).

So I think it's unaltered - but will defer to our fellow Spydie experts. Finish on top of blade looks factory, IMO.

Thanks again,
Sid
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Dude...
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Welcome to The Forum Sid. Enjoy your stay. You are among equally insane. :D :eek:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian