Info on the Caribbean?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matrix Dweller

Info on the Caribbean?

Post by Matrix Dweller »

I will just preface this by saying this is my first post on the forum, so apologies if it's out of line/awkward. :o

Just recently I watched the GoingGear interview with Sal and Eric, and the Caribbean that Sal whipped out really caught my eye.

Just want to put the specs as have been stated/ have been observed(by me or otherwise):
-LC200N leaf shaped blade, appears to be FFG
-appears to be compression lock
-FRN(or FRCP, who knows) scales in seafoam green- like colour

I'm curious about a few aspects of the design as I want to know how much I'll love this knife, really love the PM2 with the compression lock but would prefer it with FRN (G-10 doesn't play very well with denim) and the beautiful Spyderco leaf shaped blade. So this knife will definitely be mine once it hits market. :)

Would anyone (Sal, you included ;) ) be able to tell if the Caribbean has:
-open backed design
-nested steel (or otherwise) liners
-wire or hourglass clip (love the discreet wire clip)
-...anything else? :confused:

Also going to put it on record that I don't mind the scale colours on Sal's prototype at all, I would buy as is, but I would be fine with other colours too. Sticking with the black or yellow of other Salt series would be neat.
Skidoosh

Re: Info on the Caribbean?

Post by Skidoosh »

It might show up at the Amsterdam meet. Other than that you have compiled pretty extensive list of info.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Welcome to the Forum!!! :) :spyder: :)

...the Caribbean is definitely something to look forward to and I will be checking back in to this thread to see the replies!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Looked like frn. If it was then that means this one is definitely happening.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Don't want to be the doomsayer here but I wouldn't put your hopes up of this being released soon if ever. Tvenuto didn't mention this knife in his Amsterdam report last year, only that Spyderco would be looking into using more LC200N. I'm guessing therefore that Sal's knife is a pre-production prototype. If this is the case and Spyderco like the model as is (changes would delay it more) then they will have to make production prototypes and all the tooling etc for the production model. It could be 18-24 months before it hits the market.

I could be wrong and the only way we'll know for sure is in 10 days time at the Amsterdam meet but I don't think Spyderco will put this knife on the market until they are 100% satisfied with it.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Holland

Post by Holland »

You never know Johnnie, no one new about the Mantras until the catalog was issued and then the knives were out within a month
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Don't forget the relevancy of the frn handle either. As has been pointed out here many times, the molds for frn handles are quite costly. If what we saw was really an frn handle then that could tell us a lot about where they are in the design process.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Surfingringo wrote:Don't forget the relevancy of the frn handle either. As has been pointed out here many times, the molds for frn handles are quite costly. If what we saw was really an frn handle then that could tell us a lot about where they are in the design process.
Exactly. Think about the stretch 2 guys. If it was frn I'd almost guarantee we see It Amsterdam.
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

That was a good interview and video. I am glad I seen this thread.

I KNOW I'm in the MINORITY here but I personally don't care for the compression lock for my needs (I have actually went away from ALL locks-in all brands-that aren't back locks or lockbacks) so the Caribbean isn't shouting out to me but this video shows why Spyderco is a leading maker.

Their business model is so refreshing (even though many CLAIM to be customer driven).

In all sincerity, THANK YOU Sal and Eric.
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Holland wrote:You never know Johnnie, no one new about the Mantras until the catalog was issued and then the knives were out within a month
I don't want to be a smart a$$, lol, but the Mantra's were shown at last years meet :p :) , so if the Caribbean is at the same level of development then it could be at least 10 months before it's released, assuming it has a place in the production queue.

Another question we have to ask is where would they make it, Golden, Japan or Taiwan?

We only saw the knife for a few seconds in the video but it does look pretty cool but I thought it looked like natural g10 handle rather than frn/frcp
Screenshot_2.jpg
Screenshot_2.jpg (19.63 KiB) Viewed 5887 times
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Either way, time will tell. ;) I'm hoping that we see the Caribbean sooner than later. I desperately need more LC200N in my life. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
v8r

Post by v8r »

Natural G10, and Taichung manufacture.....where do I sign up?
sal

Post by sal »

2 sizes, 2 blade shapes, G-10.

sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Dang was hoping for frn. But I like the variety
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Hmmm...interesting, I'm sure they will be nice. G-10 works for me :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
We only saw the knife for a few seconds in the video but it does look pretty cool but I thought it looked like natural g10 handle rather than frn/frcp
Good catch on that g10 you were right
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thank you Sal! I'm very happy to hear that it is G10. I know some will be disappointed, some like me will be happy. That's the way it goes!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Matrix Dweller

Post by Matrix Dweller »

Thanks for the reply Sal! :)

I guess the camera was playing tricks on me when I thought I saw bidirectional texturing on the scales as the knife was put back in the pocket. Still excited about a leaf shaped, rust free, PM2 style knife.

If Spyderco ever makes an open backed FRN knife, I'm signed up for it fyi. ;)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

sal wrote:2 sizes, 2 blade shapes, G-10.

sal
Just out of curiosity, is this an in-house design, Sal?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wonder what the two blades shapes are gonna be? My gut says a rescue blade and a blade like the endura or military. I would love it if one of them came with the clip point blade like the Dyad comes with. That would be sweet. I would love to see that blade shape in more models. I have been thinking about redoing a Stretch like that for years. I have seen a few done that way.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?