Ebay User atomic_video sold me a fake Stretch 2 G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FnF8Guy

Ebay User atomic_video sold me a fake Stretch 2 G10

Post by FnF8Guy »

Beware of ebay user atomic_video. Listed a Spyderco Stretch 2 Brown G10. Shipped a fake.
IMG_0837Compressed.jpg
IMG_0838compressed.jpg
IMG_0834compressed.jpg
IMG_0836compressed.jpg
IMG_0832compressed.jpg
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: Ebay User atomic_video sold me a fake Stretch 2 G10

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Now this thing on the other hand is an AWFUL ABOMINATION and should be sent to Spyderco for inspection and destruction. I'm sure one of the Spydercrew will contact you based on this thread.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
FnF8Guy

Post by FnF8Guy »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Now this thing on the other hand is an AWFUL ABOMINATION and should be sent to Spyderco for inspection and destruction. I'm sure one of the Spydercrew will contact you based on this thread.
I'm new to the forum, and Spyderco in general. Is that something Spyderco does? It's a shame my first Spyderco purchase was a fake. Hopefully I'll get this sorted out with Ebay and find a genuine Stretch 2 G10.
baldanthony

Post by baldanthony »

Dirty pool, man! Have you contacted them, and if so, what was the response? I looked them up and saw they had other Spyderco items for sale (Delica, Dragonfly.) I hope this was unintentional and/or they fix this for you. The Stretch 2 is a fantastic knife!
RadioactiveSpyder

Hi, first off welcome to the forum! Sorry your first experience had to be this!

I would send Spyderco warranty and repair an email (email address is on their main website), and explain the situation. They may very well want to have a look at this monster, and my guess is that in return they will send you a real version. That is a BIG maybe and depends on them for sure.

Your other recourse would be to do the return via eBay but that means this... thing... will be still floating around and the seller may try to dupe some other person into buying it and start the cycle again. Not saying you're one for buying one from them but now you know to stick with reliable authorized resellers, and there are a few operating on eBay for sure.

Start by contacting Spyderco, have your receipts and info ready and let us know what happens! Good luck!! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This does create a difficult situation.

On one hand if you return it it will probably just be resold to another unsuspecting buyer.

If you don't return it and throw it off a bridge like it deserves then you have done a noble thing but you are out the cash.

A final option would be to contact Spyderco as they are very generous and understanding while being fully aware that if they warrantied counterfeit products that they would go out of business in no time flat.

Sorry you are off to a rough start. Stay away from the Bay and shop at reputable dealers only. It really is the only way to be sure.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
FnF8Guy

Post by FnF8Guy »

Thanks for the replies. I did receive a return approval and was emailed a shipping label. I have a few days before I have to ship it out. Maybe I will contact spyderco and see what they say. Thanks for the suggestion.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Just an FYI, we do have a subforum just for counterfeits. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
FnF8Guy

Post by FnF8Guy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Just an FYI, we do have a subforum just for counterfeits. ;)
Thanks bearfacedkiller. I did try to post to that subforum, but was unable to start a new topic for some reason. It seems now that I have made my first post, I can start a new topic in that subforum. Hopefully I won't need to use it in the future.
dcfis

Post by dcfis »

How do yall know its fake.
RadioactiveSpyder

Um, ever take a look at a pic of a real Stretch 2 online or in the Spyderco catalog?
baldanthony

Post by baldanthony »

dcfis - A lot of us own a Stretch for comparison, but even more of us have owned many, many Spydie models... we get to know and expect certain aspects of design, fit and finish, etc. There were several flags here without having to grab mine for comparison. Location of the grind taper in location to the Spydie-hole, lack of a curve in the handle side of choil, lack of jimping in blade side of choil, location of back spacer way off, clip is incorrect (pointy at bottom,) screws look to protrude way too far, and although color and texture is almost subjective in photos, the whole look here just lacks the charm of the real thing. Look at pics from retailers and compare against those in this thread - it's educational, and it'll show the dedication Spyderco has towards quality and details. Cheers!
FnF8Guy

Post by FnF8Guy »

baldanthony wrote:dcfis - A lot of us own a Stretch for comparison, but even more of us have owned many, many Spydie models... we get to know and expect certain aspects of design, fit and finish, etc. There were several flags here without having to grab mine for comparison. Location of the grind taper in location to the Spydie-hole, lack of a curve in the handle side of choil, lack of jimping in blade side of choil, location of back spacer way off, clip is incorrect (pointy at bottom,) screws look to protrude way too far, and although color and texture is almost subjective in photos, the whole look here just lacks the charm of the real thing. Look at pics from retailers and compare against those in this thread - it's educational, and it'll show the dedication Spyderco has towards quality and details. Cheers!
Thank you, baldanthony, for sharing your knowledge with us.
RadioactiveSpyder

Sorry, my bad, I would have listed the many obvious faults of this ridiculous clone but it made my stomach hurt just looking at it! ;) :)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I would send Spyderco warranty and repair an email (email address is on their main website), and explain the situation. They may very well want to have a look at this monster, and my guess is that in return they will send you a real version. That is a BIG maybe and depends on them for sure.
Now why in the world would they do that? I think suggesting Spyderco would do this can only cause unreal expectations and disappointment when they don't. If Spyderco started trading out real knives in exchange for fakes, even on a limited basis, it would be very problematic. When one or two guys get that treatment, everyone else would expect equal service and many would likely demand that they get just as good of service as the people who got a real replacement. I don't see any way that particular scenario turns out positive for Spyderco.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
RadioactiveSpyder

jabba359 wrote:
Now why in the world would they do that? I think suggesting Spyderco would do this can only cause unreal expectations and disappointment when they don't. If Spyderco started trading out real knives in exchange for fakes, even on a limited basis, it would be very problematic. When one or two guys get that treatment, everyone else would expect equal service and many would likely demand that they get just as good of service as the people who got a real replacement. I don't see any way that particular scenario turns out positive for Spyderco.
Did you read the sentence after the one you bolded at all? I believe the point of my suggestion was to contact Spyderco, what they do after that is theirs and the OP's business, not any of ours...
dcfis

Post by dcfis »

baldanthony wrote:dcfis - A lot of us own a Stretch for comparison, but even more of us have owned many, many Spydie models... we get to know and expect certain aspects of design, fit and finish, etc. There were several flags here without having to grab mine for comparison. Location of the grind taper in location to the Spydie-hole, lack of a curve in the handle side of choil, lack of jimping in blade side of choil, location of back spacer way off, clip is incorrect (pointy at bottom,) screws look to protrude way too far, and although color and texture is almost subjective in photos, the whole look here just lacks the charm of the real thing. Look at pics from retailers and compare against those in this thread - it's educational, and it'll show the dedication Spyderco has towards quality and details. Cheers!

Awesome post thank you fr sharing the knowledge.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Wonder what steel it really is since it surely is not ZDP?
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

What's scary is it might not even be steel.
timlara

Post by timlara »

That sucks, FnF8Guy...I'm not sure what the best course of action is either. On one hand, I'd like for the knife to get into Spyderco's hands so they can use it as evidence / gain knowledge from it if they have any leads on who made it, but on the other hand, I don't want you to lose money and ebay will obviously require you to return the product if you file a dispute for a refund.

I wonder if Spyderco would act as an arbiter so they can inspect the knife AND vouch for you to make sure you get a refund. Not sure if they have the time and resources to do that or if they prefer not to get the middle of these things.

p.s. - Welcome to the forum!