List of restricted states?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Evil D

List of restricted states?

Post by Evil D »

Where can I find a list of states that Spyderco cannot/will not ship restricted items to?

Here in KY, I believe autos are not legal unless you have a concealed carry permit. The concealed carry law covers the carry of all deadly weapons (including ninja stars and even nunchucks LOL) so if a person has a CCW permit, they can legally carry an auto knife. So, I'm getting my permit later this month, and I'll be able to legally carry something like a Citadel, I just don't know if that makes a difference about shipping them to this state.

As a bonus question, does anyone know how online stores handle this? I would still like to buy through an online store (Knife Center, etc) so how do the restrictions apply to them?

Also what are the restrictions on buying an Autonomy?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Re: List of restricted states?

Post by Blerv »

I think some places have autos as legal if they have very small blades. So we just need a 1" blade Janisong. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

AFAIK, all states that regulate or prohibit civilian ownership of automatics have exemptions to their laws for law enforcement and active duty military purchasers. Spyderco requires all their dealers to agree to sell only to those types of buyers, even if civilian sales are legal in their state. Many dealers, both B&M and online, honor that agreement, but some will sell to anyone to whom they can sell any other brand of automatic knife. So, at least in theory, even a dealer in NYC could stock the Autonomy.

The black Autonomy is subject to the limitations on sales mentioned above. However, from what I gathered in an exchange with Kristi regarding its appearance in the 2016 catalog, the orange Autonomy is still being sold only by Spyderco and only to select buyers. Then again, if you're looking for an auto to carry, one with no safety and a large and very exposed firing button is probably not the best choice.

To the best of my knowledge there are no restrictions on the ownership, possession, or carry of automatic knives here in SC. Some cities impose a 3" blade length restriction, but that applies to any knife carried in those cities. The "fly in the ointment" is that, on a Federal law level, the only automatics that can legally be sold to a civilian are those manufactured in the state where that civilian resides.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ez_rider

Post by ez_rider »

You can buy an Autonomy on Amazon.com, no restrictions on shipping whatsoever.
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

^ Scuse me while I go see if the Janisong has a similar thing going.....
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I'm following him ^