Down the Home Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Down the Home Stretch

Post by MichaelScott »

I have decided that I have become a virtual Spyderco collector, looking at various models that would satisfy different personal requirements in knives, researching, drawing up comparisons complete with photos and specs. Pretty much fun and costs very little. I have "collected" a number of knives that meet those requirements (one being my personal coolness knife rating). As I become able I plan to add them to my actual collection. In so doing, I flat stumbled into what might be my best candidate for the true, all-around EDC knife. I'd seen it before, of course, but never paid that much attention to it: Stretch 2 FRN.

I start poking around the knife sites and reviews on the web and almost everyone who has used a Stretch 2 or bought one raves about it. So, seeing it has moved up to the top of my next knife list I thought I would solicit some comments from this crowd who collectively know a boatload about Spyderco knives.

I am very interested in what you have to say about the Stretch 2 FRN.

Thanks.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
TheOutdoorNerd

Re: Down the Home Stretch

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

I own two but haven't used them because they are semi-rare. They look and feel fantastic, though. I think I'm going to wait for the HAP40 version and buy an extra one to EDC.

It might not be too late to jump on a super blue Stretch, and at any rate, you don't want to miss the HAP40 version. I think Dragonfly is next and then the Stretch?

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To be clear, as of this moment the FRN version of the Stretch 2 does not yet exist. No mention of it in the 2016 Catalog either, so its future existence is still dependent on how well the brown G-10 version sells. For some reason, Spyderco never saw the CF/FRN/Nishijin Glass versions collectively as the "2nd generation", even though they differ in many respects from the original SS and Kraton version.

That said, I love the current FRN version of the Stretch enough that, in spite of now owning several fancier ones, I still carry the black FRN VG-10 version occasionally.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Oops. I assumed the Stretch 2 was out in FRN. Being on limited income, I will be flogging a few eBay items then getting another Spyderco knife, so I will likely go for the VG-10 version. I have no complaints about my Delicas or DF2 in that regard. I bought a Sharpmaker this year (one of my more intelligent decisions) and with that I keep all of my knives sharp. One instance that turned me toward the Stretch was a video of someone cutting all sorts of things with his Stetch VG-10: Manila rope, large and small diameter, wood, zip ties, and a large, heavy cardboard box that he reduced to a pile of long slivers. Cutting long swaths of cardboard sounded like he was pulling a zipper. At the end, following all this, the blade still sliced off strips of notebook paper.

I am, needless to say, impressed. I've been looking for a 3.5" Spyderco for a while. Don't know how I managed to overlook the Stretch.

Thanks for your information.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
palonej

Post by palonej »

It seems like you can get that bad boy truly screaming sharp too!
I don't have one, but I recall jdavis literally tree topping a single hair with his.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The VG10 Stretch was discontinued. If you want one grab it soon while you still can. There is a zdp and soon a hap40 version if you can't find a vg10 version. Other than that the new Stretch2 is currently only available in g10 and zdp.

I love the Stretch also. Everything I need and nothing I don't. Great knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I have the discontinued SE Stretch.... Wonderful knife. I can't recommend it enough.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I love my Stretch. Mine has good lockup, with barely a hint of play. It fills the hand nicely and the ergos are better than most of my folders. It feels just as light as my Manix LW. This one is very thin behind the edge, it has a full height convex with only a micro bevel, and it is one of my best cutters. Superblue is super! Get the VG10 one while it is still available. ;)

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Siren, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bearfacedkiller

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

I love the Super Blue version I currently own. In have had the combo FRN and the CF/ZDP versions...all great knives! Go to the EDC Battle thread and see my comment about the Stretch I posted a little while ago. It is a must have in any Spydie collection!
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I have a Stretch FRN CE and the Carbon Fiber ZDP189. Both these knives seem to fit my hand very well. The CE FRN version has been carried consistently since I got it and is on of the few knives I actually have a backup for.

Looking forward to the Hap40 release.

I find that it is a much more compact option to the endura, giving up very little blade for a better fitting smaller handle. The handle is remarkably similar to the PARA2.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I like the handle and design and before I ever handled one, I suspected that I would love the knife. Once I got one in hand though I was less impressed. The ergonomics just weren't right for my hand. I love choils, but this one is pretty shallow, making the knife a bit too wide/tall for me at that point. I have handled the new stretch 2 and the first thing I noticed was that they deepened the choil. This makes a huge difference to me and I will likely get a Stretch 2 if and when the frn version is released.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Image
Nice.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
bearfacedkiller

I'm down with the Stretch, homes. :cool:

The Stretch SE is a great platform for serrations with it's thin full flat grind. Love it!
-Darby
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I also think the Stretch is the bees knees. I have three FRNs, two in ZDP, the other in VG10, and the G10 Stretch2. The latter is among my top three Spyderco faves.

But I gotta say, if the only Spyderco I had left was the FRN Stretch in VG10, I would consider myself quite well-equipped.
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Image
I also carry and love this exact pair.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
BTG

Post by BTG »

Love the Stretch, I do believe it's one of Sals personal favorites, although I think I just read that here somewhere...can't confirm...just know I like them.
image.jpeg
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

The Stretch with the SE almost looks more like a saw than a knife lol.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I'm wearing my blue ZDP Stretch today. I thinned it out and trimmed off the hump. It's right up there with my PM2 and my Delica(s) as one of my three favorite carry knives.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Bill1170 wrote:I'm wearing my blue ZDP Stretch today. I thinned it out and trimmed off the hump. It's right up there with my PM2 and my Delica(s) as one of my three favorite carry knives.

Would you mind posting some photos of your altered blue ZDP-189 Stretch? I'd like to see what you've done. :)

I too love the Stretch - one of my all-time favorites. :spyder:
Can't believe it's taking me this long to purchase a "2"... still haven't pulled the trigger on one! Anxious to see how they feel in FRN when that time comes.
But for right now, one ofy most anticipated early year knives is the HAP40 Stretch. I'm all saved up and waiting for that one. :D
Going back to Caly.