Sharpmaker newbie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
millwright

Sharpmaker newbie?

Post by millwright »

I received my first sharp maker today and was wondering how tight/loose is ok for this system.
I'm concerned because my gray stones fit very tight and hold their position well during sharpening, but the white stone have 7/8" of movement on the ends when you wiggle them. They don't hold in place well at all and if you excerpt any force at all they change their angle.

I was wondering if the white stones fit very loose in all sharpmakers or if I got a dud.
Northglenn500

Re: Sharpmaker newbie?

Post by Northglenn500 »

Mine wiggle a little, but it's never seemed to make a difference. I've been able to get really good edges on all my knives.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Mine all wiggle a bit but they don't move or shift at all during sharpening. The tips of mine will move about 1/4" if you pull them together but since that direction of force is never exerted during sharpening its not an issue. If your rods are actually moving close to an inch at the tip then I would say that is not normal.
FireSharp

Post by FireSharp »

millwright wrote:I received my first sharp maker today and was wondering how tight/loose is ok for this system.
I'm concerned because my gray stones fit very tight and hold their position well during sharpening, but the white stone have 7/8" of movement on the ends when you wiggle them. They don't hold in place well at all and if you excerpt any force at all they change their angle.

I was wondering if the white stones fit very loose in all sharpmakers or if I got a dud.
I was in the exact same shoes as you except mine wiggled over 2". The 15° side was very tight and the 40° was extremely loose with all stones. I actually sent mine in to spyderco and a customer service rep called me. She said that there was nothing wrong with the 20° side and that the 15° side was too tight so they sent me back a new one that is supposed to be loose on both sides. Not exactly what I was hoping but I trust them. Im supposed to get it back tomorrow and I will follow up. Just wanted to let you know that according to Spyderco there is supposed to be wiggle room.