Mantra or Mantra 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Mantra or Mantra 2?

Mantra
56%
Mantra 2
44%

Total votes: 163

Surfingringo

Re: Mantra or Mantra 2?

Post by Surfingringo »

I have a feeling from looking at it that the mantra 2 will be able to be opened one handed even with the small hole. Obviously won't be like opening a pm2 but there is a cutout to provide access to the hole.
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

Surfingringo wrote:I have a feeling from looking at it that the mantra 2 will be able to be opened one handed even with the small hole. Obviously won't be like opening a pm2 but there is a cutout to provide access to the hole.
Isn't it a flipper?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Take the Mantra1 and grind that little flipper off and drill and tap it for a right hand tip down hourglass clip and I would be thrilled. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

TheOutdoorNerd wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I have a feeling from looking at it that the mantra 2 will be able to be opened one handed even with the small hole. Obviously won't be like opening a pm2 but there is a cutout to provide access to the hole.
Isn't it a flipper?
Yes, they are both flippers but some (including myself) were expressing their preference for a functional spyderhole as a secondary opening method. This is something I have on my Gayle Bradley flipper and I quite enjoy having another option for opening the knife.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I like these and especially the Mantra 2 despite the fact that they are flippers. Not a flipper fan (teho). That makes the opening hole (big fan of the spyderco opening hole) even more desirable for the 2, but I like the overall design enough I'll get one even though it is a flipper!
LC Kid

Mantra Rocks!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

Mantra for me. :cool:

As I once said, in my book the Mantra is the First 100% Pure Classic Spyderco DNA Flipper ever. :spyder:
Surfingringo

Re: Mantra Rocks!

Post by Surfingringo »

LC Kid wrote:Hi Folks!

As I once said, in my book the Mantra is the First 100% Pure Classic Spyderco DNA Flipper ever. :spyder:
Agreed, and the fact that it is so classically "spyderco" makes me lean towards choosing that one. I'm still undecided.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

LC Kid wrote:Hi Folks!

I can certainly see the Spyderco DNA in the Mantra. But I'm curious what makes you not see that same DNA in the Domino?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Liquid Cobra!

Liquid Cobra wrote:... I'm curious what makes you not see that same DNA in the Domino?
It's a matter of materials.

In my book, Classic and Carbon Fiber doesn't fix in the same sentence :D

You can easily imagine a first sight pic of the Mantra in some ten years old Spyderco catalog.

But you can't do that with a first sight pic of the Domino.

There I see that 'Classic Spydie DNA' :spyder:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Ok I see what you mean :)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I wish we had some kind of rough eta on the Mantras. We getting these in a month? 6 months?? sigh
swigert

Post by swigert »

Surfingringo wrote:I wish we had some kind of rough eta on the Mantras. We getting these in a month? 6 months?? sigh
My thoughts exactly.
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

If anyone's Mantra "falls apart", they can send it to me in Australia for repair. ;)

Just send it over in multiple parcels please.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Surfingringo wrote:I wish we had some kind of rough eta on the Mantras. We getting these in a month? 6 months?? sigh
Is ordain to say these are the most highly anticipated knives in the catalog? Seems like it!

@liquid_cobra
Holland

Post by Holland »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Is ordain to say these are the most highly anticipated knives in the catalog? Seems like it!
Probably right now, but I think that has to do with them being a bit unexpected. The hype for the gayle bradley 2 and sprig for example has seemed to cool down before the knives have even come out :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

If it were up to me I'd prioritize their release over other upcoming Taichung knives with the exception of Gayle Bradley 2 simply because they're popular and priced to move! Of course, GB2 and the two Mantras have the popular CPM-M4 steel!

Upcoming Taichung releases with street prices (40% off MSRP):
  • Nirvana: $429.95
  • Brend/Pirela Mamba: $322.95
  • Tighe Stick: $286.95
  • Myrtle: $223.95
  • Vrango: $223.95
  • Sprig: $186.95
  • Mantra: $167.97
  • Mantra 2: $167.97
  • Gayle Bradley2: $142.95
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

For $168, I'll be all over that Mantra.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

That really isnt a bad price for Ti and M4 at all, I will definitely be grabbing both, cant wait for these to drop :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Mantra 2 put up a good fight against Mantra!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
kaukol

Post by kaukol »

I definitely love Mantra 2. Excellent design.
Too bad that M4 steel (and probably ball bearings and internal stop pin too) breaks the deal for me.