Thanks Spyderco!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Thanks Spyderco!

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I just received the Calendar Contest prize box. It had some stickers, two bug cutouts, and of course the Squarehead.

I'll get some pictures up when I can, but for now I just wanted to say thanks! My first impressions with the Squarehead are:

1. Looks cool, not too "tactical" nor too dressy, just about right
2. Nice stonewash
3. Rather sharp corners and odd ergos in a hammer grip
4. Blade a little small for some things but nice and sharp
5. Weight is good--not too heavy, not too light
6. Action is a little stiff (probably just needs the pivot loosened)
7. No blade play
8. Works great in pinch grip
9. My first chisel grind...interesting if nothing else
10. The slot on the back seems better suited for a strap than for a paracord lanyard

I'll probably carry this one as a secondary blade when backpacking or just hiking. I wonder how it would look with the handle flame anodized?

The bug cutouts are cool; I would like to know what material they are made out of. I imagine that they are made out of scrap material that was originally made for some other purpose--is this right? It looks like one is made out of some sort of shiny black plastic with a paper backing and the other is translucent tan/peach plastic also with a paper backing.

Thanks again Spyderco! Also, the other calendar contest winners please feel free to post your pictures and thoughts here once you receive your package.
GoldenSpydie

Re: Thanks Spyderco!

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Here are some pictures. Sorry for the bad lighting--it's dark and stormy here.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

That is awesome! Thank you for the nice review and pictures. Wow, those cutouts are really cool!!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Congrats Eli! Nice pictures as usual, although I really like the last one. Interesting angle!

I have to ask, did you pick it up in person or was it mailed to you?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Looking forward to getting my package! I'm really excited to get my hands on the squarehead.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks guys! I look forward to getting more pictures and opinions of the Squarehead.
Liquid Cobra wrote:Congrats Eli! Nice pictures as usual, although I really like the last one. Interesting angle!

I have to ask, did you pick it up in person or was it mailed to you?
It was mailed, I'm just lucky to live close to the SFO so delivery times are short. :D
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Those cutouts are new to me, nice touch.
Looking forward to seeing the package arrive! :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
mattman

Post by mattman »

Are they coasters?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

mattman wrote:Are they coasters?
They're wallet fillers, designed to simulate the feel of money in your wallet. :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

farnorthdan wrote:
They're wallet fillers, designed to simulate the feel of money in your wallet. :D
Hahaha! ;) Yeah, because most of us Spyder-addicts have long since forgotten about what money looks/feels like. :p

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's all electronic for me... I just have my paychecks deposited straight into Sal's bank account every month! ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I don't think so--they're pretty small for that at 2.5 inches across. I think that they're just some cool examples of Spydercobilia (credit to Deacon for that term).
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Congratulations
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Got mine yesterday as well (perk of living in CO).

Although the squarehead was never one I would have bought myself, I've enjoyed it a lot the last two days. Opening and closing it is more enjoyable than I would have guessed, and is easily done one-handed with some practice. A modified pinch grip is really the only comfortable way to hold it. The edges and corners are very sharp, making other grips hard. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet as far as daily use goes but I haven't put it down yet, it's just so interesting to examine. The cuts on the Ti are precise and intricate. The f&f is amazing and the compactness of everything is unreal. The lock bar face just barely misses (by, like, microns) the bronze bushing in the handle.

It's probably going to end up in my watch pocket as a small utility knife.

I have to say that the stonewash on the blade is just spectacular. I wish Spyderco did this more often, especially with Ti. They compliment each other very well. I'd love to see a domino model with this blade finish!

Thanks Spyderco crew! I can't wait to see the calendar.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Congrats GS!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I just received a message that put a smile on my face...
The misses informed me of a Spydie package that arrived today :D

It arrived early today, but she told me just now so I won't be impatient to go home before the day's work is over :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow! Ugh hurry up!!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

My package from Spyderco arrived this morning!! It was a very good thing I had the day off today. ;) More time to play with my new knife! :D

First off, I would like to give a big "Thank you!" to Spyderco and their Crew for making the contest possible and also for choosing my picture. There were a ton of really good submissions this year (although I do not envy the people in charge of choosing which pictures make the cut, lol). Here are a few pictures of my new Squarehead folder (along with a few comparison shots alongside my DogTag folder and SpyderCard CE). My initial thoughts are similar to Eli's. I really like the locking mechanism on the Squarehead--very unique. It reminded me of the vintage SpyderCard of yore, which is why I thought a few comp pics would be interesting. Overall, I'm very impressed with the Squarehead. It was definitely on my "must-buy" list for this year, so I'm pretty excited to see what it can do. Here are a few pics. Thanks again, Spyderco!

DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

DutchBlades wrote:I just received a message that put a smile on my face...
The misses informed me of a Spydie package that arrived today :D

It arrived early today, but she told me just now so I won't be impatient to go home before the day's work is over :p
That must have been one of the longest hours I can remember, but I could jump right in the package as soon as I got home!
After playing around with the Squarehead all evening, I finally managed to pry it out of my hands and make a picture of the package...

Loving the little ornaments that came with it, one of them will surely end up in a small frame in the hallway or something :)
And stickers are always a great touch from Spyderco!
Then there was the Squarehead; a knife that intrigued me from the get go and needed to be checked out sooner or later.
Love the titanium and the locking mechanism reminds me of a modern Spydercard like SpyderNut mentioned.
Great materials and a great knife so far, really handy and can be carried anywhere.
I'll be using it more often in the upcoming weeks to get a good understanding of how it handles and acts in different situations.
The chisel grind is something I need to get used to after not using one for quite some years, but it's the best option by far for this little guy!

Thank you everyone at Spyderco for hosting this annual event and giving each and every one of us a shot to get in calender!
This has got to be one of my favorite things every year together with the Amsterdam Meet!
I'll surely be back next year to compete for a spot in the calender :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Got mine today! All I can say is awesome. Honestly my favorite thing has to be the little cut outs. The squarehead is pretty sweet as well. I'll definitely be giving it some pocket time. Thank you to everyone at spyderco.

Comparison shot between a ladybug and the squarehead