Want an new EDC. Criteria: Sub 3’’, Cutting capacity, ergonomics, clip, weight.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Koen Z

Want an new EDC. Criteria: Sub 3’’, Cutting capacity, ergonomics, clip, weight.

Post by Koen Z »

Hey guys, long time no see.

Since a few months, I have got myself an office job in engineering (hence sub 3’’). I don’t know how I feel about the office part, but I love to invent stuff in all kinds of materials.

I never bought a lot of knives, but my budget improved considerably.

The thing what I appreciate a knife for, is pure cutting performance and build quality. For me, ergonomics are a large part of cutting performance. There isn’t a thing as too light for me; when both knives are up to the job, the best knife is the lightest (you can replace knife with car, airplane, flashlight or wheelbarrow).

I have done some Bladesports in the past, and would like to vent my opinion about the conventional blade and edge thicknesses: I think we overestimate our precise control while cutting and underestimate the strength of steel. Remember the cutting forces we expose Stanley knives to. They are about 0,70mm thick. The bending strength of a blade increases with the cubed thickness. A three mm blade is a factor 78 stronger in pure bending than this Stanley blade (assuming same grindshape, steel, etc.). Pure bending must be avoided in a knife made to cut, because every effort to increase its bending strength will drastically impact the cutting performance of the blade. Because of that reason, I don’t think sub-2mm bladestock is that extreme for a gentleman’s, or even a workman’s knife.

Shown below are a few knives I really appreciate:

From left to right; PM2, Veld Knives PFB, Benchmade Leopard Club, FRN Calypso Jr, LM New Wave

I would like to do a mini review of my user experience with those cutting tools for your enjoyment and to give some insights in my preferences. These are the preferences of someone thinking he has his cutting technique down, and has more appropriate prying tools at hand rather than a knife.

Paramillitary 2 in S30V;
Great blade, my to go knife almost everywhere but at the office because I find it too large for that environment. I love the ergonomics (carry it RH tip down), opening and closing is great, build quality is top notch. What really grinds my gears about it is that it is quite thick behind the edge; 0,8mm. This makes it objectively the worst cutter out of the shown knives. I should take the edge down to about .15mm, but don’t like losing Sal & Spyderco’s logos. It will happen eventually though. I also wonder if it would be possible to make it lighter without losing strength or stiffness, but have to talk with Sal or Eric about it before stating it, because I know they work very hard to make their knives as light as possible.

Field Knives Pocket Fixed Blade in D2
This is an interesting little knife, the blade is 3,5 mm thick and just 19 mm wide, but the edge is just 0,30mm thick. This low edge thickness makes it a great cutter even though it is quite thick and the small handle doesn’t give a lot of purchase for large cutting forces. In a provided kydex sheath it is possible to carry it loose in the pocket, but it takes some extra time to put it back in the sheath.
Sander’s Website; http://www.field-knives.com/

Benchmade Pat Crawford Leopard Club in ATS-34
It is a nice sleek knife, and quit heavily modded. The previous owner took the anodizing off the aluminum handle. It cuts great thanks to a full distal tapered, 2,5 mm thick blade. The edge is 0,70 mm thick and will get thinned out in a while because this blade is still able to cut a lot better. The plunge cut was horrible, the edge thickness near the handle was about 2mm which made it a disaster to sharpen. I shortened the edge by about 5 mm, and now it is acceptable. The opening ergonomics are just worse than my standard office knife, the Calypso Jr.

FRN Calypso Jr in VG-10
This is an epic little blade. It weighs just 53 grams, handles great and cuts fantastic. The shape works great. The edge thickness is about 0,50mm, and it has been sharpened frequently. I like the fiberglass reinforced Nylon handle, the backlock is reliable and easy to manipulate. It has some bladeplay, and this doesn’t affect the performance at all. Frankly the Calypso is the reason I do not need another knife for use in the office. But I would like another knife, mostly because of reasons.

LM New Wave with thinned out S30V clippoint and de-serrated 420HC wharncliffe
I can hear you think; what is the place of a multitool in this group? Well, I carry it every day, and both 2,5 mm thick blades cut better than all the above mentioned knives. I thinned both blades to an edge of about 0,2 mm, and they just cut like a dream even though the ‘handle’ is awful. I would like my purchase to cut as well as these, but I think that is a lot to ask.

HELP!
As you will understand as a fellow knifenut, my new knife has to be ‘better’ than the Calypso. Cutting performance at least has to be better, I think this limits me to a blade thickness of 2,5 mm or less and a thin grind. The blades pictured show what kind of bladeshape works best for me. I would like a more classy appearance and a lock without bladeplay. I would like a clip, but won’t exclude the Bradley Air because it is light, a great design and I am willing to mod it.

The major contenders;
Bradley Air. I love the low weight and the steel. I don’t like the fact I would have to add a wireclip myself. I am in doubt about the ergonomics of opening and closing. Can somebody shed some light on this?
Chapparal
1,9 mm bladestock! New type backlock! Proven pattern! The Chapparal totally clicks with me. I like the Ti with the subtle scales the most, but the CF version is cheaper and a bit lighter. Even the CF version is a lot heavier than my Calypso Jr (54 gr vs 71 gr). Will the better looks, lock and cutting performance of the Chapparal tip the scales in its favor?

Almost made it;
Kiwi 4
Just as light as my current knife, an nice wireclip and an interesting design. The looks don’t click for now. I held an earlier Kiwi, and I found the handle quit ‘forceful’ if that makes sense.
Memory
Beautiful knife, great story behind it, thin but a bit flashy for me, and too heavy.
Centofante 3 LW
A tad too long.
Sage 1, Caly 3
Too much like my Calypso (how come? ^^), much heavier, not substantially better cutters.

Can you talk me into buying a knife?
The Deacon

Re: Want an new EDC. Criteria: Sub 3’’, Cutting capacity, ergonomics, clip, weight.

Post by The Deacon »

I'd go with the CF Chaparral. The textured CF scales are both good looking and practical. They offer a reasonable amount of grip without the utilitarian/tactical look of peel-ply and, unlike metal handles, retain their good looks after years of use. I know there are folks who believe dings, dents, and scratches "add character" to their knives, but I don't. My oldest Chaparral has been carried, on and off, for over 4 years now, dropped a few times, and I don't think anyone could tell its handle from a brand new one. I doubt any of the titanium ones would fare as well.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
elena86

Re: Want an new EDC. Criteria: Sub 3’’, Cutting capacity, ergonomics, clip, weight.

Post by elena86 »

I know exactly what you need: Spyderco Techno in CTS-XHP.Elegant, strong, thick stock but very thin behind the edge.Since you like Calypso Jr,another choice might be Caly3 in ZDP189.Elegant terrific cutter with great ergos.If ergos are decisive for you, go Caly3, if strenght is decisive, go Techno.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

It ain't pretty, but the FRN UKPK has a very thin blade and is incredibly lightweight. The wireclip makes it discreet to carry in an office as well.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
swigert

Post by swigert »

I think the ti chap is for you. It's amazing. I can only speak for the stealth version not the stepped.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bradley air and Chaparral were the two suggestions I was considering before I even finished your post. The Air is a super cool little knife and carries almost weightless but from a pure ergonomics standpoint, the Chaparral is the knife you are looking for I believe.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

G10 Dragonfly? Possibly wait for the upcoming smaller Para2 since you like that model? The Lava sprint can still be found online. I will say I am surprised the Kiwi 4 is too large for any task since I expected it to be beefier and was disappointed the other way
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Surfingringo wrote:Bradley air and Chaparral were the two suggestions I was considering before I even finished your post. The Air is a super cool little knife and carries almost weightless but from a pure ergonomics standpoint, the Chaparral is the knife you are looking for I believe.
Sigh ....as in " I don't own these two " :o
Nate

Post by Nate »

Really enjoyed your post Koen Z.

I don't have the Air, but I can offer this comparison pic of the Chaparral with a few others:

I don't know if this holds in general, but the Caly Jr has by far the thinnest factory grind. The Chaparral is one of my favorite, most carried Spyders, but it was ground fairly thick when new. It has been reground thinner and the remaining edge bevel is convexed (logos long gone).
:spyder:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Chaparral, 10 times out of 10. :)
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Enjoyed your post and I don't know about you but the guys have me wanting a Chaparral.

The UKPK LC suggested fits your criteria we'll, is a great slicer and not to hard on the wallet so it could be worth considering.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

In this order:
1. Native 5 FRN S35V
2. Native 5 FRN Forum 2015 S90V (use code forum2015 to order from Spyderco, http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=930" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
3. Chaparral
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I would go with the Native 5 lightweight in S90V (Forum Knife 2015). It is just under $100 with the coupon mentioned above, and it is a great knife.

Weight is 2.5 oz, which is slightly heavier than your Caly Jr., exactly the same as the carbon fiber Chaparral, and lighter than the titanium Chaparral. The only downside for you might be that the stock is 3.2mm (vs 3mm on the Caly Jr. and 1.9mm on the Chaparral).

The ergos are great for me, but YMMV. Also, it is made in the USA, which may or may not matter to you. I love the maroon FRN (not all that common), but if you don't, you could go with the black/S35VN version. All of the Native 5 lightweights have FRN, which is the same material as your Caly Jr., so you already know you like it. I don't know if grip matters to you, but I would imagine that the bi-directional textured FRN is significantly less slippery than the woven carbon fiber and titanium of the Chaparral.

dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

GoldenSpydie wrote:I would go with the Native 5 lightweight in S90V (Forum Knife 2015). It is just under $100 with the coupon mentioned above, and it is a great knife.
If you don't mind spending the extra $$$ and you like the color - then I would say that is the number one choice. O/W the regular Native 5 LW in black. Chap a distant third
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would personally buy the knife that I love the ergonomics of, and then have the blade reground to my liking. Otherwise, you're almost guaranteed to have to compromise somewhere, and if you're that serious about performance, a regrind is the best way to get it anyway. The only limiting factory may be the blade length you're bound to. I keep coming back around to wanting a Nilakka really bad but that's a 3.5 inch blade so not for you.
Koen Z

Post by Koen Z »

@Paul; Years ago you posted about using your Chaparral for all the cutting tasks during a move. That was one of the things that started me on the path I am now. Thanks for your advice and your huge contribution to this forum.

@Elena, thanks for your opinion. In my OP I posted my thoughts about the Caly and blade thickness in general.

@ Liquid Cobra, I owned the FRN UKPK and liked it, but I am looking for a little step up in terms of lock, grind and bladesteel.

@Swigert, I really like the looks of the stealth Chaparral, and heard enough about it's inner workings at several Spydermeets I attended to love the design.

@ Surfingringo, great we are thinking in the same direction. your post and the lack of other comments about the Air say enough about it for the role I would like it to preform.

@ Twinboysdad, both the Lava and the Dragonfly are a bit small for the intended role, and I suppose the Para will be a bit thick and heavy.

@Nate, thank you for your comparison picture!
Does anybody have the same experience as Nate about the edge thickness of the Chaperral?
How is the stiffness of the Native 5 LW in comparison to the Calypso and the Chaperral?

In my experience (Endura 4, FRN UKPK, Squeak, Salt 1, Calypso LW), laser cutted steel lined FRN knives are not notable stiffer then linerless FRN. Because of that reason, I prefer the linerless versions because i believe them superior for my uses. I understand that the breaking strength of lined knives is higher, but I don't really mind that.

Hi TomAiello, quite a clear message, thank you!

HarleyXJGuy, thanks, see my comments to Liquid Cobra.

Dreampirate, GoldenSpydie, thank you for this suggestion! I quite clearly remember playing with the Native 3 years ago, and liking the ergo's, especially the contoured handle. I found the deep fingerchoils a bit pronounced though. I understand the lock of the Native 5 is an order of magnitude better, what has happened with the ergonomics?

@Evil D,
My initial emotion after reading your post was; **** he may be totally right. And I think you are.

After all of your well thought out and kind posts, my POV is as follows;
  • Lower weight than my Calypso is not possible within the stated preferences. Congrats Sal & team!
    Max weight is set at Native LW and Chaparral CF: 71 gram.
    Stock cutting performance of the Native 5 will not be better than my Calypso.
    Stock cutting performance of the Chaparral may disappoint because of relative thick grind (can anybody confirm Nate's experience?)
    Will you guys kill me for buying a forumknife and grind off the etching?
    How is the stiffness of the Native 5 compared to the Chaperral? (ignore blade stiffness) I would like to feel that the extra weight gives me a large step up in stiffness.
    My preference at the moment is the Chaperral because of a more classy look and a thinner blade.
Ps; Lightweight engineering is a professional interest of mine, so I would like my EDC to reflect that. I suppose I do not have to explain why I am looking for a Spyderco ;)
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

If you get a chance - try out a Chaparral and a Native to see if you like the feel.

On another note - I have a Sage 1 - and I will admit the carbon fiber laminate handles are really classy.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Another vote for the CF Chap...it has not knocked my Caly Jr. off my waistband but it is an AWESOME slicer...

So CF Chap..............that is UNLESS........... :cool:

If you're into self customization projects, the Centofante Memory is quite easy to remove the anodization with a scotchbrite pad making it a sleek, yet subdued silver. One of our brothers done it here...I will try to find pics to link later...

here it is, it was Gino, maybe others also: http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... om#p883863" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Add to that the glass fiber overlay and you got a package that's TOTAL CLASS...just like Mr. Centofante himself, may he RIP. :spyder:

Centofante Memory with anodization removed...definitely :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I found the comment about the Chaparral having a thick grind a bit surprising. I have had a couple and that has not been my experience at all. I found the overall thickness and thickness behind the edge on mine to be quite thin and "slicey".
Nate

Post by Nate »

I don't want to give the wrong impression, I only meant "thick" relative to my Caly Jr.

In very broad terms, most of my Spyders are ~0.02" behind the edge stock. So maybe I should say it had a standard grind. The Caly Jr, my B70P mule, and stuff I've reground are ~.01" or under (@ ~ 15dps).

On the Native, it is still fairly new to me but it seems very rigid, plenty strong, and sooo light. I can't imagine it really flexing under normal use. You may appreciate the engineering in the inside of the scales. A lot of detail there:

Nods for the Chaparral for me would be the smaller, slimmer package, thinner stock, and the dark, deep carry clip. I had no problem getting both though :)
Last edited by Nate on Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: