A Modest Start/Hello All.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
shoggoth80

A Modest Start/Hello All.

Post by shoggoth80 »

Hi guys. I figured I should actually say hi to everyone. I did not see a general intro thread like many other forums.
I'm relatively new to Spyderco products, though they are something a couple friends and I have drooled over for some time (got a friend who has been a fan since our teens).

My "collection" of folding knives is very modest. Consisting of a couple non-Spydie products, a Byrd Cara Cara 2 that is almost always in my pocket, and a Resilience that I very recently picked up. I find the ffg blades to be quite the slashers. Really liking the Resilience. Feels solid, nice edge out of the box, and locks up tight. FAST to deploy. Really cannot complain. Hard to beat a big folder in the pocket. These will not be my last Spyderco products. They're more like entry level drugs.

Other folders are a Victorinox One Handed Trekker (great outdoorsy pocket knife) and a CRKT M16 series spear point that I've well thrashed over the few years I have owned it. Fixed blades are a little different with Moras, and more Moras. Lol. I also have an Ontario Bowie which is a beast. In short, I like most things bladed.

Gotta love that logo.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: A Modest Start/Hello All.

Post by Doc Dan »

Welcome to our awesome forum. Most of the people here are great people. You never know, the owner may chime in and welcome you, as well.

It looks like you have some nice knives already. I would like to suggest a few more to help you along towards out addiction. ;)

1. Endura 2. Delica (you can get these in your favourite color and find some wonderful limited editions called Sprint Runs) 3. Dragonfly (same applies)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Welcome.

Starting a pool to see how long it is before you buy a $100 or more Spydie.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
palonej

Post by palonej »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Welcome.

I'm in!!!
Welcome to the insanity!! If you are smart you will run away NOW!!
If you don't....in a month or 2 you'll be wondering where the 25 Spydies in your drawer came from!!
swigert

Post by swigert »

Welcome! Enjoy your stay!

Good start to the collection.
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

Welcome!
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome aboard! You're certainly off to a good start with your collection. I might suggest you trying something in serrated (SE), if you get a chance (e.g. Harpy, Matriarch, or even a Ladybug Hawkbill). It'll blow your mind how nicely they cut. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
shoggoth80

Post by shoggoth80 »

I've been drooling over the Civilian for weeks now. As a purely defensive blade, it seems pretty well designed and thought out. Having slipped with serrated blades, I know that they bite hard, and with any force would bite deep as well. This started with watching James Keating's video on the Civilian. Hard for someone to want to continue harming you if you rip out tendons, or cut a quad.

I have a few other financial things to focus on, but it is a matter of time before I invest in a higher end piece. Like I said, the value line stuff is a gateway drug. Lol. Wouldn't mind an Endura 4, or a Pacific Salt either. Manix 2 XL also on wish list, among some higher end pieces (Temperance 2. I like fixed blades).
BTG

Post by BTG »

If your loving the civilian & liking on the Endura also.....the Matriarch 2 is a natural. I started my addiction with a Tenacious, welcome to the Forum..enjoy !!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Welcome to the forum
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Welcome, I think you will find this is a very nice community.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the madness and don't worry the swelling from the bite goes away fast, :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

I'm in. I'll say 40 days. lol

Welcome to our section of the interwebz. That Resilience will only lead to more. You've been warned! :D
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
shoggoth80

Post by shoggoth80 »

" That Resilience will only lead to more"
Lol. I was well aware of this when I placed my order.

Sal had popped on in another thread that I am watching/responding on. It's kinda cool to have (even minor) interaction with the owner. It seems a small thing, but in business terms, and in general user base, small touches like that go a long ways. The fact that the company tends to take cues from its user base is one of the many things I have read that have helped foster the strong following Spyderco has. Makes sense.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll get to enjoy this place as much as we all do :D
Any idea what Spyderco is next on your list?
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Tdhurl1103 wrote:

I'm in. I'll say 40 days. lol

Welcome to our section of the interwebz. That Resilience will only lead to more. You've been warned! :D
I'll take the under on that bet all day.

shoggoth80

Post by shoggoth80 »

I kinda want the Tenacious in green, but the Manix 2 is also rad. Matriarch 2 or Civilian are also high on the want list.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

shoggoth80 wrote:I've been drooling over the Civilian for weeks now. As a purely defensive blade, it seems pretty well designed and thought out. Having slipped with serrated blades, I know that they bite hard, and with any force would bite deep as well. This started with watching James Keating's video on the Civilian. Hard for someone to want to continue harming you if you rip out tendons, or cut a quad.

I have a few other financial things to focus on, but it is a matter of time before I invest in a higher end piece. Like I said, the value line stuff is a gateway drug. Lol. Wouldn't mind an Endura 4, or a Pacific Salt either. Manix 2 XL also on wish list, among some higher end pieces (Temperance 2. I like fixed blades).
Shoot if you like fixed and SE then a Aqua Salt or Jumpmaster should be a auto buy.

apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Welcome to the forum!

You got a great start there. Myself i started with an endura 3.
Years and years gone by and i still had only 3 spydie's. Today i have over 30 in almost 12 months. :D