Pacific Salt praise

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Pacific Salt praise

Post by Wartstein »

Sonorum wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:24 pm
You bunch of enablers. I haven't been able to make a GB2 rust yet I want this. In all black and serrated. I'm a bit sceptical of the hollow ground though, how does it compare to say a SE Endela which is full flat?

Edit: Or if we're talking all black SE knives, how does the PS2 compare to a Shaman when it comes to cutting performance?

My main uses are recycling, gardening, food prep, and package opening.

I have both the Pac Salt SE (the "1", but the blade is no different to the "2" I am sure) and the Endela SE.

The Pac Salt SE in my use still does better than my PE knives in most tasks, but when it comes to things like cutting cardboard, food, garment = more "regular" EDC tasks: Imho the Endela SE does even better. Certainly partly due to the ffg, but most likely also or even more so due to the shallower, less aggressive, less "snaggy" type of serrations.

That being said: I guess for things like gardening or recycling, or for just having to part materials without being worried to make the cleanest cut in the world: The Pac Salt and its grind are great! Sure, due to the sabre (hollow) grind it does not pass materials with more circumference as effortless as the Endela, but man, if you just have to cut off a branch the Pac Salt SE is a beast. I know this from having to cut very tough dwarf mountain pines and the like.

And it has amazing edge retention (in SE, never had PE), even if you really give it a workout...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I have had a PE model Pac Salt (actually two different ones) for at least ten years. I love them. I absolutely need a SE. I haven't had one of those. I can sing the praises of SE H1 because of my Salt 1 though, which I have in both edges. A sharp PE cuts sushi better (word to Sal), but SE is an incredible beast, with as good as it gets edge retention. Everyone should have a SE Pacific Salt. Especially me. 😵
Higher

Post by Higher »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:57 am

The handles are basically the same minus the liners. There is some texturing on the rear end that isn't on Enduras, otherwise the outsides are the same.

Same lock and same pivot distance.
I really like both versions.
Welcome back! Thank you very much for your help! I think that the distance between the axes is the same, then the blades will fit.

Yes, "this is not Lego". But I have thoughts...

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:53 pm
That´s very nice of you to say Sir! I am glad you find something interesting in my posts, though tbh: There are very many here who know a LOT more interesting things about Spydercos, steels and so on than I do. :)

And let me say in return: I think one of the great aspects of this forum is that we get to chat with people from many different parts in the world, and for me it is especially interesting to "hear from" a russian guy like you :) I am glad that you take the effort to even use a translator in order to participate here!

/ I am one of those too who finds the Endura 4 ergos just perfect and even better than the Endura 3 (=Pac Salt 1) style handle. Never had any problems with the placement of the finger grooves like some others obviously do.
As Vivi said: The Pac Salt 2 now offers the Endura 4 handle shape, and should I ever have to replace my Pac Salt 1 I am looking forward to an for me even improved design in the Pac Salt 2 :) (though as said: The Pac Salt 1 ergos are more than fine for me already too).
Thank! On this forum I find like-minded people and get positive communication. This is very valuable. People are willing to do a lot to support others. Is it so important.

We gain knowledge by communicating. This knowledge will help someone.
"The more I know, the more I understand that I know nothing" Socrates(?)

Yes, I have to get PS2. One knife more, one less knife - they're all good. :-)
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

My Salt 2 se made quick work of the carton my new range came in; it was double layer cardboard. Only problem was when I got the kick into the cut and that bound things up a bit. Otherwise, the hollow grind seemed to have no cons; SE is a monster for breaking down cardboard!
vivi

Post by vivi »

:beaming-face

Next time I'll have to get all of them in the photo!
:unicorn
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I for one want to see them all in one pic!

I still want to get a blacked out SE and a yellow SE and do a blade swap to get a yellow handled black bladed one! The resultant black handled satin bladed SE could then just ride in the truck.
benben

Post by benben »

Carrying my serrated PS today, it’s the knife that every Spyderco fan / collector should own, even though I was years late to the party! :eye-roll
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

This makes me realize I need another one.
brj

Post by brj »

Spot the intruder ;)

cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Atlantic. Nice collection. Any favorites?
brj

Post by brj »

The FFG ones. I've found thin FFG H1 to be amazing for EDC. The one on the very left is an early pinned model (May 2007 maybe, since I remember having it already in my swimming trunks in June) that I've taken as close to a zero grind as possible. The edge flexes some if you apply your nail, but man, what a cutting machine.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

brj wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:27 am
The FFG ones. I've found thin FFG H1 to be amazing for EDC. The one on the very left is an early pinned model (May 2007 maybe, since I remember having it already in my swimming trunks in June) that I've taken as close to a zero grind as possible. The edge flexes some if you apply your nail, but man, what a cutting machine.

How did you achieve ffg on H1?
If diy, was it a lot of work?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Such great knives, these Pacific Salts.
brj

Post by brj »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:32 am
How did you achieve ffg on H1?
If diy, was it a lot of work?
I guess it depends on how you define 'a lot' ;) but yes, it required some elbow grease (no power tools, only stones). I can guarantee it would be worth it, though.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

wow! very impressive brj!

Both, your collection of Salt(s) knives, and what you've done to them too.

I have thinned my Salt knives down a bit, but not as much as you have. I definitely concur that it is worth it to do.

Much respect

u.w.
brj

Post by brj »

Thanks, man. I'm the first to admit this (see below) might have been a bit extreme :grin-big eyes but on the bright side, you don't need to go there to start feeling the benefits of a thinner H1 ffg. As with most things, small steps are the key.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

brj wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:27 am
Thanks, man. I'm the first to admit this (see below) might have been a bit extreme :grin-big eyes but on the bright side, you don't need to go there to start feeling the benefits of a thinner H1 ffg. As with most things, small steps are the key.

This looks great! Nice work!!! :smlling-eyes

But: Makes me wonder once more why Spyderco basically says "H1 can´t be done in ffg" - true perhaps for absolut true ffg, but they could get pretty close to it, right?
- I get that the way the hollow grind is done might enhance that "work hardening thing"
- But: Why not in step one make that sabre hollow grind, and in step two grind away enough steel above the edge that it gets close to ffg? (I figure if one made a true ffg all the way from a thin hollow grind egde (or rather "behind the edge") such a blade would get too thinned out probably)
brj

Post by brj »

Dunno. Maybe they simply were not able to come up with a cost effective way of doing it? given that the general market has embraced the hollow-grind model as it is and sales are probably consistent anyway, so why add an extra layer of complexity (just a wild guess on my part)
Bigspyder

Post by Bigspyder »

I have both, model 1 and 2...an awesome knives.

On the pivot bolt area and lockbar bolt area there is D shape holes on the other side of the FRN, which keeps the pivot and lockbar "barrel" from spinning...

Has it happened to any of you that the D shape holes on the "soft" FRN has rounded off?
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

No Bigspyder, that hasn't ever (knock on wood) happened to me, or any of the people I know that carry various Spydies.

u.w.