Pacific Salt praise

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Re: Pacific Salt praise

Post by JSumm »

I'm at the pool with the kids. Left the GB2 at home. Pizza, Pool, Pac Salt.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:07 pm
I'm at the pool with the kids. Left the GB2 at home. Pizza, Pool, Pac Salt.

solid choice on the knife and Marcos! as far as chains go, Marcos (at least the one near me) is one of my favs
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Everyone's always heaping praise on the Pacific Salt, but I don't see as much on the regular Salt model. Folks just prefer the larger size? Or is there something else that draws the Pac Salt praise so often? I live in a jurisdiction where the Pac Salt is too large to legally carry, so I don't.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

sethwm wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:25 pm
Everyone's always heaping praise on the Pacific Salt, but I don't see as much on the regular Salt model. Folks just prefer the larger size? Or is there something else that draws the Pac Salt praise so often? I live in a jurisdiction where the Pac Salt is too large to legally carry, so I don't.
Nothing wrong with the salt/salt 2 at all. I’d say everything that applies to the pac salt applies to the Delica sized version as well.
Mostly, I carry one cuz I can… if I couldn’t, I’d be carrying the salt 2 right now. In fact, I own a few of em :winking-tongue
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Handle on the Pac Salt fits my hand better. I feel like I'm slipping off the back of the Salt and Delicas. Also, I like the longer blade and do not have any restrictions here. Mine has also become the pass around knife at our campsites.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

sethwm wrote:
i started carrying the pacific salt because i wanted a knife i could carry in the water in case of emergencies like getting tangled in something and needing to get free so i don't drown. for that application, i wanted the most teeth i could carry and, at the time, that was the pacific salt, atlantic salt, or assist salt. the assist would be the safest, but it's also the bulkiest. the atlantic would've been next, but i was willing to compromise a little safety for a knife that would work better in more roles. also, i was living in hawaii, so it had to be the pacific. once i got it in hand, i fell in love immediately.
i would've had the same experience with the salt 2 if i had one. i've considered getting one multiple times and only haven't because i don't need a shorter blade. if i were in a location that didn't allow the pacific, i wouldn't hesitate to buy a salt 2. that position in my edc has become too important to me to not have filled by a se spyderco salt knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

sethwm wrote:
I'd carry a Pacific Salt XL / Police Salt if they made one. Pacific Salt is on the smaller side of what I prefer to carry.

I'm sure the Salt 1 & 2 are equally as brilliant knives as the Pacifics, but I personally have no interest in that size. The thinner blade stock and lighter weight are definitely nice up sides though!
:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

sethwm wrote:
I mostly prefer large knives and can legally carry . Nothing wrong with the smaller version at all , if I were to add to my Salts a Wharnie would fit the bill for me easily. ;) Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'm really waiting for the Stretch XL in a Salt version. That could be the ultimate Salt.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Salts are great too. Salt is to Delica as Pac Salt is to Endura. All are great.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageAmazing praising ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

About the time I joined up here I was getting back into Spyderco and headed to Hawaii to visit family (BIL was stationed on Oahu). I got the Salt 2 and regret not getting the Pacific Salt. But I had just come from carrying a 3” blade for a decade and the idea of the PacSalt was just too big. Ah well. The Salt 2 is a good little knife, and my daughter has designs on it.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Pacific Salt 2 PE LC200N just came in today.... y'all convinced me. Much like pup, I'm also a Salt 2 owner, and man what a difference. The Pacific is a bit large in my hand, but I'm really loving all the extra real estate, and how this opens up my options for grips. Finally my bent weird thumb has all the room it wants. It was right in front of me all this time!

It was a combination of things, really. You all had a big role in it, of course, but I've also lamented the "PM2 LW-shaped hole in my heart" lately, and I think this will do nicely in the meantime. Looking forward to a do-everything summer knife, and seeing how this blade whittles. Well, one could more easily equate what I do to "skinning wood" rather than carving or whittling, but I do enjoy it.

Prepared to loctite the pivot if (when) necessary, seems riiiiiight next to the loose side, so it very well may happen with some continued opening and closing. I also have a weird habit of liking my backlocks to be pretty tight, my Salt 2 doesn't drop shut because I close it with my index finger in the hole anyway.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I’d go ahead and put a dab on all the screws… it’s a salt, no need to disassemble!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

They are pretty good knives.
20220628_074211.jpg
Obviously several of those are backups.
And I only have so many because I got pretty good deals on most of them.

I actually had one more yellow pac salt 1 but I gifted it to a friend.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Finally finished reprofiling the serrations on mine to 15°.
MyelinSheath&Borborygmi

Post by MyelinSheath&Borborygmi »

Nice! How long did it take you?
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Maybe an hour, hour and a half? Hard to be certain, since I did this 5 or 10 minutes at a time, over the course of a week -- I find that doing it this way keeps me from getting frustrated/obsessive and reduces "form drift." I can tell you, the folks who reprofile the bevel on serrated K390 have my respect.