Local Finds

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kells45

Local Finds

Post by kells45 »

Stopped at an area gun and knife store on the way home. They had a new cpm d2 military, a large Wegner model, also new and first gen full serrated endura no blade steel stamp on the blade that looked used. Too bad I didn't have any money in the knife budget. It would be a hard choice between the two. Been wanting to try out cpm d2, don't have a military yet. The Wegner was comfortable in hand, blade design seemed functional, spyder hole a bit small, don't have any ats-34 steel either. Maybe next time I'm down that way I would be able to swing one of them if they are still there.
Donut

Re: Local Finds

Post by Donut »

Wow, that D2 Military is a rare bird. :P~~~
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Holland

Post by Holland »

I don't think I would have been able to pass up the D2 millie, depending on the price that is
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I've never found a hidden spyderco gem in a B&M store. I always fantasize about stumbling upon one, and always keep an eye out for any store that might carry knives when I'm in a new place, but it hasn't happened yet.

I've had a few online scores that are worth celebrating, but those are based entirely on random timing, since they don't last long with the rest of you vultures out there.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Vultures you say? Pffft. I prefer "opportunistic bird of prey." :p

The D2 Millie would be a must-have, as would the Wegner (if nothing more than for collecting purposes).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Last month picked up a micro dyad jigged bone from a local knife store. New with box. On clearance $100. They also had a Tmag for $150. Passed on that one though.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
kells45

Post by kells45 »

Pricing looked liked original msrp. The owner said she could do better on the prices. Not sure she knows what she has.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I just checked the D2 Milllie MSRP --> $189.95. I think one BNIB ought to be worth around $250 or $300... but on eBay, for example, it depends on who notices the auction and varies a lot. It would be a great user though, if you could make yourself use it :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

tvenuto wrote:I've never found a hidden spyderco gem in a B&M store. I always fantasize about stumbling upon one, and always keep an eye out for any store that might carry knives when I'm in a new place, but it hasn't happened yet.

I've had a few online scores that are worth celebrating, but those are based entirely on random timing, since they don't last long with the rest of you vultures out there.
Pretty much sums it up for me too. :( Got this D2 PM for $100 BNIB, that felt pretty good!

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
v8r

Post by v8r »

I would have gone and sold some blood or whatever I had to do to buy that D2 Military.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I went to a flea market and found a dragonfly 2 for 10 bucks and the same guy had a 3 screw worker that someone spray painted the handle red on for 50 bucks. I passed on the worker, regrets I have them!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

Oh how I wish MD had knife stores.. :(
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I found a NIB Lil Temp leaf PE for $150 that Wite Edge Riger now owns. Same place has a D'Alla Toad new in box as well. The clip on the Lil Temp was something I knew I could never like so I wanted a fellow formite to add it to their collection
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I realize how lucky I am that my go to B&M is so good and gets 2 of every release including sprints. They are about a mile from my house. I have been able to handle many models that either made the cut or did not based on ergonomics that a lot of folks miss out on and have to order sight unseen
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

twinboysdad wrote:I realize how lucky I am that my go to B&M is so good and gets 2 of every release including sprints. They are about a mile from my house. I have been able to handle many models that either made the cut or did not based on ergonomics that a lot of folks miss out on and have to order sight unseen
Ha ha, that would be Mark's Outdoors in Hoover (B'ham) -- too bad they're about 50 miles from me. I try to get there once or twice a year. Last time, 3 months ago, I was amazed at the number of new Spydie releases they had. I tallied up after I left and came up with nine I got to handle for the first time and 33 others (new to me at least) that I saw and could have handled. I always buy a knife or other significant purchase, couple of shirts or whatever, when I go there because I really appreciate this service. I would have handled more but I had a run in with a Tatanka and the Tatanka won. I was testing it to see how the blade would drop by gravity and "misunderestimated" the ease of the blade swing and huge inertia of the rasor-sharp blade, which swung on around like Big Ben's pendulum and nicked the back of my index finger to the bone (not very deep). While I was trying not to bleed on the knives, etc, the nice 40-ish guy that usually waits on me came by and produced a huge box of bandages and bandaids, took it all in stride and acted like I was not really an idiot, it happened all the time. Really nice guy.

I was really impressed by the Tatanka, a really smooth operating knife with a great feel in hand.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.