New FRankenManix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

New FRankenManix

Post by MacLaren »

A new Sprint Manix in BD30P grippy G10 scales and a new Manix LW S110V blade. I really like her. Bought from a member here on BF. He did just an outstanding job! If he wants to reveal himself then he certainly may. At any rate, I am very happy to have this Spydie!
spydieh0le

Re: New FRankenManix

Post by spydieh0le »

I told you you'd love it once you handled it! Manix all day baby!
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Always good to see a classy mod that makes the owner love the knife that much more.

I've never modded my knives in the past, but I'm getting a little more into the frankenspydie nowadays. Previously I was always of the mind to leave my own knives stock, but now I'm thinking a little self-directed variety is a good thing.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

tvenuto wrote:Always good to see a classy mod that makes the owner love the knife that much more.

I've never modded my knives in the past, but I'm getting a little more into the frankenspydie nowadays. Previously I was always of the mind to leave my own knives stock, but now I'm thinking a little self-directed variety is a good thing.
I agree. I also know exactly what you mean by leaving them stock. Another route Im strongly considering are re-grinds. I couldnt believe how well my cousins PMII looked and performed after Big Chris had gotten thru with it. I mean my cousin really trashed his PMII. He not only bead blast it but also did a horrible looking sharpening job. I just wish I would have taken before and after pics.
When his PMII showed up yesterday with the others, I had totally forgot that was the PMII he had previously bead blasted and screwed up the blade. It looked brand new. No joke. And would cut like a Nilakka. That really got the wheels to turning. And the first knife I thought about having thinned behind the edge was my Gayle Bradley with M4. There are others too.... :)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Very nice... I wonder what happened to the left-over spares? :)

I agree about the regrinds... They are very addictive, especially if you have a very desirable user sprint that ticks all the correct boxes except "cutting ability".
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Brock O Lee wrote:Very nice... I wonder what happened to the left-over spares? :)

I agree about the regrinds... They are very addictive, especially if you have a very desirable user sprint that ticks all the correct boxes except "cutting ability".
I couldnt really say about the spares :(

But, yeah man that re-ground PMII was mighty impressive.
And thats certainly no knock on a stock Spydie! They are imo the best production knives on the planet.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

I am looking for someone to do me a Manix exactly like this.

While I love the lightness of my 110V Manix I am not a fan of the FRN scales. Honestly do not notice the weight.of a knife when it is in my pocket and actually enjoy a little heft when I am using it. Maybe it has something to.do with the heavy duty belts I wear.

Oh forgot.to.add great looking knife.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Thats one clean looking manix Paul, whoever did it sure got it right, nice catch...
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Nice knife you got there Mac! ;)

My sincere thanks to those who've commented so far, this particular FrankenManix is my recent creation. I had been eyeballing the coarser G10 scales and milled liners of my BD30P sprint for a while. It seemed (in my mind) the best candidate to accept an S110V blade of all the sprints/exclusives I had available to me (which I guess technically was all of them at that time). I tried to sell the BD30P sprint on BF recently, and it went nowhere, so that clinched its fate!

The swap itself was very clean and easy. It was a bit gruesome when I grabbed the dark blue lightweight Manix in a pair of vise grips and pried it open with a small crowbar, the FRCP snapped with a loud pop but out came a fresh minty S110V blade. It went right into the open BD30P frame and was buttoned right back up again. The naked BD30P blade is here with me (it's a CC# blade) and I may swap it into another frame. The busted lightweight frame was stripped of its clip and screws/posts and tossed in the trash (there was no saving it).

For anyone looking to do a swap like this but isn't comfortable doing so, I'm happy to take your knives apart and swap whatever onto whatever (that fits right)! Of course that will annihilate your warranties on both knives, but that's where the fun is! To Mac: enjoy the heck out of that and I hope we can see pics of this knife being beaten on for years to come. Many cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
v8r

Post by v8r »

The BD30p manix sprint was under appreciated in my opinion. I think the reason they don't sell is it looks too much like a regular model in pictures, yet if people saw them in person it would be a whole different story. The one I had looked like it carbon fiber scales in bright sunlight.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Anyone have a Manix 2 G 10 they want to unload?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Congrats Mac!

I hope you used a Geiger counter when you received it, don't want you turning Radioactive as well :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

v8r wrote:The BD30p manix sprint was under appreciated in my opinion. I think the reason they don't sell is it looks too much like a regular model in pictures, yet if people saw them in person it would be a whole different story. The one I had looked like it carbon fiber scales in bright sunlight.
I'd have to agree with you. I don't own one, but the skeletonized liners and "coarse" textured G10 are pretty difficult to appreciate in pictures, especially since the G10 is black like the standard version. In those close-up shots the G10 looks very much like that on the original brown Southard, which is certainly different than the standard peel ply. You know there hasn't been a brown Manix, I wonder if this one would have sold well in brown?
RadioactiveSpyder

There are three levels of coarseness to Spyderco G10 that I've noticed, seen in the pic below that I took a while back. The bottom knife (a DLC Manix 2) has the standard "fine" texture of peel ply G10 found on the vast majority of models. Next up is Mac's BD30P Manix 2 sprint scales with "medium" coarse G10 and on top, a black RIT dyed Southard scale in the true "coarse" G10. The second one is intermediate between the two in grippiness (obviously). I love that coarse G10 so much, it also adorns my 204P Domino and gives it a better and more confident grip on it. Hope that helps :). Cheers, Radioactive :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have a frankenmanix but mine is somewhat opposite- M4 blade in G10.

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow. This has really turned into a great thread. Thanx everyone for making it so. Especially RS.
Man, I love the Domino. Those scales look great.
RadioactiveSpyder

Thank you Mac, see, we missed you while you were off moving and such. You always start fun threads. :)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Wow had no idea there was an intermediate step between the Southard G10 and the standard peelply.