Blade show 2015 news thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: Blade show 2015 news thread

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey guys, I am not positive what info we are supposed to share. We are not allowed to take photos of the prototype case but I will ask Joyce today if I can post all our thoughts here. I think it's fine to talk about the knife I liked because it's been mentioned here several times. It is the introvert that I believe was designed by our own Solidstate!

It's the folder with the built in finger hole. What a neat knife! And it's one of those quirky but super comfortable designs that just screams Spyderco. The finger hole can be use like a flipper for opening too and the action is really sweet. This one is not going to be for everyone but its a very cool little knife.

One other tidbit that made me happy...there was a Phil Wilson fillet knife in the case too! Shelter Cove model. Don't quote me on this but I seem to remember someone saying something about Taichung. Again, I could be confused so take that with a grain of salt. But that would really make my day if it were true as I think that maker could really do justice to a production model of one of Phils fillets. I'll stop now though because I'm drifting way into rumor and speculation. :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I'm here. Shaking hands and looking at new Spydies. :). I will check in on this thread in a few days once I get back home. :). The "what was in Sals left pocket" that I mentioned last month was here at the show by the way. It was the smaller paramilitary. ;)
What are the specs on the smaller PM?
I'm not sure doc, but if I had to guess I would say the blade was sub 3". The handle still looked large enough for a full grip to me which is a plus. My impression looking at it was that it was a knife designed to give the functionality of a full sized pm2 while offering a shorter blade length to satisfy the restrictive carry laws of some areas. I might be reading too much into it though. It might just be a smaller pm2. :rolleyes:
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Surfingringo wrote: I'm not sure doc, but if I had to guess I would say the blade was sub 3". The handle still looked large enough for a full grip to me which is a plus. My impression looking at it was that it was a knife designed to give the functionality of a full sized pm2 while offering a shorter blade length to satisfy the restrictive carry laws of some areas. I might be reading too much into it though. It might just be a smaller pm2. :rolleyes:
Hi Lance, does the mini PM2 feel about the same size as an N5? The Dice was made 15% smaller than the Domino, so maybe Spyderco used that same ratio for the mini PM2?

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I was fortunate enough to handle the mini Para2 as well and I really like it. To me it seemed as though Sal put a Para2 in the dryer and shrunk it until it had a three inch blade. Everything else seemed just like the Para2 except it was a smaller scaled down version. I think people are gonna love this new mini Para and it gives people a 3 inch compression lock which is super cool.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

So, was it about the size of a Delica, but thicker?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I simply must know, what are they calling the Lil PM2?
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

The smaller PM prototype is the Spyderco I have been really waiting for.
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A smaller PM2 and a new Lil Temp. My head hurts nearly as much as my wallet!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
petrosil

Post by petrosil »

Any word on the release date of the Roc?
devine1

Post by devine1 »

twinboysdad wrote:I simply must know, what are they calling the Lil PM2?
It was labeled Paramilitary 3
devine1

Post by devine1 »

uninspired wrote:I couldn't make it to Blade Show this year. Just curious, what kind of knife pin did Spyderco give away this year?
Slysz Bowie
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

petrosil wrote:Any word on the release date of the Roc?
This! Simply can't wait for this one!!
-Nick :bug-red
devine1

Post by devine1 »

I came to Blade for a Sebenza, but left with a Stepped Blue Ti Chaparral and a couple of D'flies for my twin girls(turning 13 this week).
My favorites in the Spyderco prototype case were the Lil' Rhino (Reinhold design), Para3, Mantra, and the Vrango. Also had a Sage with compression lock. :eek:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Hmmm..., steel aside, sounds appears that the PM3 will differ from other Spyderco 3" folders in handle form, lock and maybe blade shape (similar to the Endura/Delica/Stretch in general outline). I will be curious to see how well the PM3 does in the market in relation to the other 3" Spyderco folders. I test and review different pistol accessories, and a few carry guns on my blog. I'd like to test the new PMs and its Spyderco competition. Be very interesting to make a detailed comparison.

Please post any details as they become available.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

If it's a different size altogether, wouldn't they give it a new model name? Is it time for a poll about "PM3" name possibilities? Militia, Reserve, etc? :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:If it's a different size altogether, wouldn't they give it a new model name? Is it time for a poll about "PM3" name possibilities? Militia, Reserve, etc? :)
Minuteman? ;)
swigert

Post by swigert »

Love threads like these.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

petrosil wrote:Any word on the release date of the Roc?
I heard mention of four months or so.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

devine1 wrote:Also had a Sage with compression lock. :eek:
Uh...isn't that kind of a big deal? People have been asking for this for a long time.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
darr3n

Post by darr3n »

I could only attend Friday. I hope someone comes along with detailed notes as I only really had interest in and handled three prototypes: Sage Compression Lock with G10 scales, Para Military 3 (this is exactly how it was labelled), and the Manix 2 Lightweight with LEDs in the handle. I would have bought the first two in a heartbeat had they been for sale.