Blade show 2015 news thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: Blade show 2015 news thread

Post by Surfingringo »

darr3n wrote:I could only attend Friday. I hope someone comes along with detailed notes as I only really had interest in and handled three prototypes: Sage Compression Lock with G10 scales, Para Military 3 (this is exactly how it was labelled), and the Manix 2 Lightweight with LEDs in the handle. I would have bought the first two in a heartbeat had they been for sale.
Haha, me too! I looked over the prototype cabinet pretty well but I really only handled a few of them. I was busy and distracted talking to folks most of the time. Half of them have already faded from my feeble memory. :rolleyes: I remember there was an interesting kind of hawkbilled gardening folder concept in there too. Was that one of Ed Schempps designs?
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Does this imply that the nirvana may still be released this year?
Able Dog wrote:Spyderco has been awarded Import Knife of the Year for the Nirvana, as well as Best Buy of the Year for the Ti Cara Cara.

Congrats Sal and Spyderco family!
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

^^ I really hope so! ^^ :D
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

Surfingringo wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:If it's a different size altogether, wouldn't they give it a new model name? Is it time for a poll about "PM3" name possibilities? Militia, Reserve, etc? :)
Minuteman? ;)
Minuteman is taken by Schrade, Pops has one. I thought we talked about the name in another thread? Militia isn't taken by anyone and would be a step down the line from Military to Para Military to Militia. It might just be called the Para Military 3 as in Para Military model 3 inch blade. Either way I'll be buying one whatever the name :)
devine1

Post by devine1 »

ohcyclist wrote:Does this imply that the nirvana may still be released this year?
Able Dog wrote:Spyderco has been awarded Import Knife of the Year for the Nirvana, as well as Best Buy of the Year for the Ti Cara Cara.

They said they hoped to be shipping the Nirvana out by Christmas
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Any word on release date of GB2?
petrosil

Post by petrosil »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
petrosil wrote:Any word on the release date of the Roc?
I heard mention of four months or so.
Well break my freakin heart...
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Sounds like good stuff on the horizon. Such an awesome, customer-focused company.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Any new SALT knives on the horizon???
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Surfingringo wrote: Haha, me too! I looked over the prototype cabinet pretty well but I really only handled a few of them. I was busy and distracted talking to folks most of the time. Half of them have already faded from my feeble memory. :rolleyes: I remember there was an interesting kind of hawkbilled gardening folder concept in there too. Was that one of Ed Schempps designs?
That was a Schempp, it was called the Master Gardener IIRC. There was another Schempp knife called the Essence (?) that was one of my favorites. It was a smallish EDC with Ed's great touch for making a knife with superb ergonomics.

I think my favorite was the compression lock Sage. I've been asking for a comp lock native 5 for a good while now and this is close enough to EDC perfection for me. I'm very excited about this one, but I didn't get the impression that we'd see it this year.

On another note, it was a pleasure to get to meet and visit with you Lance. I had a great time.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

ohcyclist wrote:Does this imply that the nirvana may still be released this year?

I don't recall a time frame, maybe end ofthe year? It's an awesome knife but it ain't gonna be cheap. I think they managed to squeeze a ball bearing pivot in an integral titanium frame with very tight tolerances and overall the knife is a very impressive piece of manufacturing.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

senorsquare wrote:
Surfingringo wrote: Haha, me too! I looked over the prototype cabinet pretty well but I really only handled a few of them. I was busy and distracted talking to folks most of the time. Half of them have already faded from my feeble memory. :rolleyes: I remember there was an interesting kind of hawkbilled gardening folder concept in there too. Was that one of Ed Schempps designs?
That was a Schempp, it was called the Master Gardener IIRC. There was another Schempp knife called the Essence (?) that was one of my favorites. It was a smallish EDC with Ed's great touch for making a knife with superb ergonomics.

I think my favorite was the compression lock Sage. I've been asking for a comp lock native 5 for a good while now and this is close enough to EDC perfection for me. I'm very excited about this one, but I didn't get the impression that we'd see it this year.

On another note, it was a pleasure to get to meet and visit with you Lance. I had a great time.
Good to meet you too man! I wish I had met some more guys off the forum. Somehow I completely missed the "essence"! :( On a positive note, I got to spend some time playing with the Shaman! That one is going to be well liked I think. With the compression lock and larger size it kind of reminded me of a pm2 with a native blade.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Yes, yes, the Shaman soon please! A Sage with a comp lock is nice and all, but this larger comp lock Native is really what I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of someday soon(?). A cross between a PM2 and a N5 sounds like a match made in heaven, or at least Golden. Thanks for the tidbit Lance. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Intriguing! I liked the "feel" of the PM2 but the leaf blade on the Native. This is interesting.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Is the shaman the 3.5 or 4" native? Or is the 4" the chief?

Compression lock larger native has my attention.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Apparently there was a multitool prototype, with carbon fiber no less.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
swigert wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:Apparently there was a multitool prototype, with carbon fiber no less.
At blade?
That's what I heard. I wasn't there though. Maybe someone who saw it could elaborate?..

I just realized I put this in the wrong thread. Meant it to go in the blade thread.
Here ya go (I moved this to the Blade thread for you). ;) I do recall there being a multitool prototype last year at Blade, but it had black G-10, IIRC.
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

The Shaman was my favorite!
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I thought the compression lock Sage was still a ways off. Quoted from a thread last August:
The Deacon wrote:
JNewell wrote:The question is: when??? :D
Based on Sal's other statement in this thread:
sal wrote:Thre are two locks in queue. Neither are Compresssion locks.

sal
I'd say the earliest we might see it would be in Sage 7. Given that Sage 5 hasn't been released yet, or even shown "for publication" at A'dam or Blade, and assuming at least a year between Sages, late 2017 would be about the earliest Compression lock lovers can hope for.
Where there other Sages there, or does it seem the compression lock got bumped ahead?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Can't wait to see the Shaman, love the PM2 but not a fan of thumbramps so I love Native's for that reason but sometimes a bit small.
Compression lock is my all time favorite.
Sounds like a dream knife. :)