BHQ Paramilitary 2 CPM M4 Exclusive.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mattman

Re: BHQ Paramilitary 2 CPM M4 Exclusive.

Post by mattman »

animportant wrote:Natural G10 definitely reminds me and I think a few others of GITD. Imagine getting your knife and that night realizing that your knife is glowing?! haha
Are you aware of the EDC Forum knives?
animportant

Post by animportant »

mattman wrote:
animportant wrote:Natural G10 definitely reminds me and I think a few others of GITD. Imagine getting your knife and that night realizing that your knife is glowing?! haha
Are you aware of the EDC Forum knives?
I have seen them in pics not in person. Looks kind of similar to me!
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

10just wrote:Anyone planning on forcing a patina on theirs??
That's a good question.

I've never had M4 before and I guess I need to figure it out pretty quick.

Is patina inevitable? Or is there any way to keep it the way it comes?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

aquaman67 wrote:
That's a good question.

My only M4 blade is a GB Air, which has darkened very slightly with use. If you treat the blade with the protectant of your choice it will resist staining more than an un-treated blade, but if you intend to use the knife for EDC tasks, expect it to discolor some over time.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Donut

Post by Donut »

I got the payment error email. My card got processed yesterday, later. I haven't seen much outside of that besides the cookie cutter payment error email.

I can understand wanting to send shipping and payment received emails in one shot. I can understand it taking a while to process hundreds of shipments.

I think 20 hours between sending a payment error, having a successful payment, and sending an email that the payment was received is a little extreme.

I hope that before the weekend hits, this entire thing gets to a little better position. It wouldn't be great to leave it hanging over a weekend.

I'm sure a lot of progress will be made today.

Maybe Thursday isn't a good day to start an exclusive.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

awa54 wrote:
aquaman67 wrote:
That's a good question.

My only M4 blade is a GB Air, which has darkened very slightly with use. If you treat the blade with the protectant of your choice it will resist staining more than an un-treated blade, but if you intend to use the knife for EDC tasks, expect it to discolor some over time.
I think I read a thread over on BF a while back where Surfingringo tried to force a patina on an M4 knife. Said it didn't take very well and wished he had just left it alone.

I forced a patina on my SuperBlue Stretch and immediately regretted it. Letting the knife acquire a patina over time from regular use gives it much more character in my opinion.

You could probably prevent patina if you oil it regularly, but I don't plan on doing that. I will oil the pivot to prevent rust but leave the blade dry. I'm interested to see how it develops.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Looks like they are back in stock as of 7:41 am PST.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Donut

Post by Donut »

bdblue wrote:
Donut wrote:4. The edge retention is similar to CPM-S30V
I don't think they are very close. I have a Manix 2 in M4 and a Manix 2 in S110V. I tested them side by side cutting cardboard and the M4 did better than the S110V, which usually does substantially better than S30V. But granted the average user might not be able to tell that much difference.
I think you are right, Ankerson grouped it with S90V. I haven't seen anyone else talk about its extreme wear resistance.

After my long post about not getting an update, I got a shipping notice, but not a payment received notice.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Got the tracking number this morning from BHQ. I was one of the credit card problem victims. I ordered just after 9am yesterday. All in all, they did have good communication with customers. With the announcement for sale, with emails to customers that had problems with credit card authorization and they will keep your spot for 48 hours, with notifying customers via email that their credit card did finally go thru, & notification of tracking number. Thought they handled the glitch pretty well. Hope they get the credit card company to fix the capacity or whatever problem there was before they get the Military M4 version of this Para 2. I plan on buying their next Exclusive.
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Looks like they are back in stock as of 7:41 am PST.

They're gone again!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Donut wrote: After my long post about not getting an update, I got a shipping notice, but not a payment received notice.
My email sorted each of the messages ( "payment problem" "payment confirmed" and "shipped") in to different folders, two hit my "promotions" filter and one showed in the inbox.
-David

swigert

Post by swigert »

Just got shipping info. I ordered at 9:01.
Donut

Post by Donut »

awa54 wrote:
Donut wrote: After my long post about not getting an update, I got a shipping notice, but not a payment received notice.
My email sorted each of the messages ( "payment problem" "payment confirmed" and "shipped") in to different folders, two hit my "promotions" filter and one showed in the inbox.
I guess you are right, mine got sorted under "promotions". It says my order got processed. I think there is a gap of a few hours between when it really got processed and when that email was sent.

I must be crazy. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Already tracking -- I have received knives from that far away in 48 hrs, but I'm not expecting it before Monday.

July 15, 2016 , 1:34 am
Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84199
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Just looked and it was in stock!!! It's a miracle! Haha. Snagged one up.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

i am travvy wrote:Just looked and it was in stock!!! It's a miracle! Haha. Snagged one up.
Yes!! your knife karma is strong ;)
-David

swigert

Post by swigert »

i am travvy wrote:Just looked and it was in stock!!! It's a miracle! Haha. Snagged one up.
Congrats!
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

I think BladeHQ did a great job. I got my order in at 12:45 edt and the shipment notification 45-minutes later. Just checked usps tracking and it should be in the mailbox when I get home from work on Monday. This will be my first PM2, looking forward to it! :)
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
swigert

Post by swigert »

ronT2 wrote:I think BladeHQ did a great job. I got my order in at 12:45 edt and the shipment notification 45-minutes later. Just checked usps tracking and it should be in the mailbox when I get home from work on Monday. This will be my first PM2, looking forward to it! :)
Dang. You picked a good one to start on. Well done.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ejames13 wrote:
awa54 wrote:
aquaman67 wrote:
That's a good question.

I think I read a thread over on BF a while back where Surfingringo tried to force a patina on an M4 knife. Said it didn't take very well and wished he had just left it alone.
My first attempt at forcing a patina on m4 was a bit of a fiasco. I have done a few since then with no issue. The easiest way to do it is in boiling hot vinegar. The heat is the key. Boil some vinegar in a mug in the microwave then drop the blade in. Nice light patina in just a minute or two. If you want it dark then leave it 5-10 minutes.

Here's my thoughts on m4 and patina. M4 is not really that corrosion prone in normal use. I probably won't bother doing anything to this knife. On my m4 work knives that see kitchen use and fish cleaning use I do start with a light forced patina and it definitely helps keep the red rust away if you're exposing it to lots of corrosive environments. I don't think a heavy dark patina is necessary though. Just soak it for a minute or two until it starts to gray just a bit. It will absolutely help prevent heavier corrosion. Kind of like getting a base tan before you go on vacation to Costa Rica. ;0