Safer way to close a knife ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HorserloverFat

Safer way to close a knife ?

Post by HorserloverFat »

I've never actually noticed someone closing a knife by holding the blade with the spine against the palm of the hand and closing the handle down onto the blade. Please see the 6:30 mark in this video : https://youtu.be/D5EwRIVX70I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you think ?
PayneTrain

Re: Safer way to close a knife ?

Post by PayneTrain »

Hah I've been watching a couple of his gun videos lately. He's amusing, I'd hang out with him.

Don't know if I'd close a knife like him though. He was obviously just messing around there, but still. Handles are for holding, blades are for cutting, and that is a scientific fact!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If you are worried about safety you should close it with two hands. That would always be safer in my eyes.

On another note, I too have been watching some of his gun videos and he shoots a pocket .380 like a boss. I wish I could shoot my LCP as well as him. :(
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

bearfacedkiller wrote:If you are worried about safety you should close it with two hands. That would always be safer in my eyes.

On another note, I too have been watching some of his gun videos and he shoots a pocket .380 like a boss. I wish I could shoot my LCP as well as him. :(
I was looking at the 42 in Gander Mountain over the weekend. The lady that was with me wants one. I'm debating between the 43 and 26 now ...
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

PayneTrain wrote:Hah I've been watching a couple of his gun videos lately. He's amusing, I'd hang out with him.

Don't know if I'd close a knife like him though. He was obviously just messing around there, but still. Handles are for holding, blades are for cutting, and that is a scientific fact!
Yeah, I watch his reviews too ...
joe58

Post by joe58 »

His videos are always pretty entertaining and tends to give sound advice IMHO.

With my lock back Native 5, I'll just flip it over so it's edge up in my hand, press the lock in with my thumb and start it closing on my thigh, getting my thumb and fingers out of the way in time. The knive closes pretty slowly. I tend to keep my knives a little tighter if the pivot is adjustable just so I can have a more controlled opening and closing. But even with an Axis lock, I pull the studs back with thumb and forefinger which pushes the back of the knife into my palm, allowing me to close the blade one handed on my thigh.

I'm not a blade flicker or flipper guy. I'm not in a big hurry when I use my knife. ;)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Ha? Maybe knives aren't for you...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

That's funny - I do that all the time, but I hold it upside down to how he's holding it usually, with the handle closing upward. Just out of habit - don't know why.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

He was just having fun. I love his knife choice. Mine as well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050