Paramilitary 1 Enthusiasts?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tdog

Re: Paramilitary 1 Enthusiasts?

Post by Tdog »

While my D2 gets little carry time, it is the smoothest of all my Para's.
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

I have no experience with the PM1, short of this thread and some pics on foogle. In fact, I really didn't know that much about it, short of its existence, until recently. Ever since I started frequenting the Spyderco sub over at BFC, I had maintained that I liked the PM2 but wished it had a 3 inch blade and a half inch knocked off the but end. I know I did not start this idea, but I have continually voiced a preference for 3 inch blades on **** near everything, and wished upon a star that someday we might get a shorter PM2. I bought a PM2 anyway, and it gets a lot of pocket time even though the blade is a bit bigger than I like.

Anyway, A short while after I voiced my preferences all over BFC it seems, Sal mentioned they were developing a 3 inch bladed PM2, with the butt end shortened. He didn't go into much detail only to say it would still have the same width.

I know, I know, get to the point right? So someone mentioned I should check out the PM1, I did, and I like it tremendously. But.....alas, they are no longer in production, and finding one for sale that I can afford is dang near impossible at this point. Having said that, I think, if I were to get one, it would put me into the realm of collecting (not that there's anything wrong with that at all) where I would just like to have users and be an enthusiast. I dunno, I guess I'd feel it needed to be a safe queen which is counter to why I buy knives. The PM1 is great and I wish I could of gotten one when they were around. Would any of you 1ers think a shorter PM2 would be a resurgence of the PM1?
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think a shorter 2 would essentially be an updated 1, with 4 way clip and full nested liners.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I really like my two D2 PM1's better than my PM2's. For my purposes I like the shorter blade but don't want the handle any shorter. Even though I'm a lefty with big hands, for some reason I find the PM1 more comfortable in hand. My little finger wraps around the big projection on the butt of the handle, but it's not a problem. The PM1 is just more comfortable, partly at least because the scales are well chamfered, unlike the PM2 I use the most, the fg Elmax. The PM1 clip is also more comfortable for me, partly because it is placed away from my left palm, but I can't blame the PM2 for the fact that I don't put its clip in the same orientation. I actually tried that, but it still wasn't as comfortable as the PM1 clip.

I deploy the PM1 the same way I do millies, which means I have to remember which knife I'm carrying (in my left pocket) and grasp the back-facing spine in the notch between my thumb and forefinger, rotate it toward me and push out the blade with my thumb or flip it out with my middle fingertip. This is just about as quick and reliable as tip-up deployment, which I use with all my other knives. I'm guessing that most righties who strongly favor the clip placement on the PM1 and Millie are probably spyderdroppers, no?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

This made me dig out my D2 PM and carry it for the first time in many months. I don't own a PM2, and keep debating if I should or not, but aside from tip down carry, the original's still pretty nice.
PcT

Post by PcT »

The PM1 is an all time classic for me. I've had my original satin/black for nearly 10 years now and it's been everywhere with me. I own three now, the original, a black/black serrated and a green D2. These will probably remain grail knives tho as I'm happy to use and a use the excellent PM2, until I start picking up more sprint runs of that model too!
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Doug C-3 - not sure about others but my preference for the first gen Para clip is more about ease of access. I rarely spyderdrop but find that on larger knives (in this case a large handled knife) tip down right front pocket is the most economical method for getting the knife out and open. That section of knife that sticks up over the pocket also helps a lot when using gloves.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Evil D wrote:I've been on both sides of this fence. I loved the 1 so much that I avoided the 2 when it came out, but slowly came around and bought the 2 and now prefer it for many reasons. That said, I do still love my 1 and won't ever sell it. I do however prefer the looser pivot on the 2, and really wish the 1 had it. To this day the 1 is the only knife I can't seem to dial in the pivot well enough that it opens freely but has no play.
This is exactly how I was too. I however no longer have any Para 1's. I got rid of them all as I became more and more enamored by the Para 2. It is the knife that is in my pocket the most. It is in my pocket now. I love everything about the Para 2. I no longer miss the old style clip. The Para 2 is the perfect knife IMO.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

At one time I had 8 PM 1s--so that tells you what I think of the model. My first PM 1 with SE black blade is still the smoothest action Spyderco I own. Love that knife! I think the changes to the PM 2 are really well thought out, but I sold the PM 2 I bought almost immediately. Just didn't fit my hand like the PM 1, plus I live where there's a 3" blade limit on folders and the PM 1 is already 1/8" over. One of my fantasy Spydies is a PM 1 incorporating the design changes of the PM 2 with a 3" blade of Elmax or M390. IMO that would be one perfect all-arounder!
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

Para 1 is my EDC. I own something like 8 Para 2's thinking that one day I will make the swap to the Para 2 and have an entire stable of Para 2's at my disposal. Nope. They sit in a spyder pac while my Para 1 rides in my pocket. Funny this thread was posted as I just noticed by G10 scales have a crack in them. I wonder if that is something spyderco's warranty would replace. The knife has been used, a lot, but not abused.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Chopping Broccoli wrote: I just noticed by G10 scales have a crack in them. I wonder if that is something spyderco's warranty would replace.
Ah, that is a bummer. I doubt they'd be able to replace it as it's discontinued, but you never know. Maybe there's one errant scale sitting in a bin somewhere that someone held on to just in case a situation like this arose. Some call it hoarding, I call it preparedness!

Being a big fan of both the PM2 and the Military, I've always wanted to get my hands on a PM1. They don't come up for sale too often in the usual spots, and I always miss them when they do. I'd love to grab a camo one, maybe even with a black blade which is something I never do. Did they use the same super resilient DLC back then as they do now?
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Evil D wrote:I think a shorter 2 would essentially be an updated 1, with 4 way clip and full nested liners.
So in fact a shorter Paramilitary 2.

Might be with some some small update to the current Paramilitary 2 though... who really knows?
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Chopping Broccoli wrote:Para 1 is my EDC. I own something like 8 Para 2's thinking that one day I will make the swap to the Para 2 and have an entire stable of Para 2's at my disposal. Nope. They sit in a spyder pac while my Para 1 rides in my pocket. Funny this thread was posted as I just noticed by G10 scales have a crack in them. I wonder if that is something spyderco's warranty would replace. The knife has been used, a lot, but not abused.
This is the reason why I prefer side scales in stainless steel or titanium... it's pretty much crack proof. :p
WCC

Post by WCC »

Love the PM1s.

I also have a serrated PM1 in my EDC rotation. :D
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Maybe the mini-PM/PM3/Minuteman/whatever it'll be called will scratch the itch for you guys. I never had the chance to experience a PM1 so I wouldn't know.
Did Sal/Eric/Spyderco ever give out any specific reasons for the changes other than a general "this is better"? I know sometimes there are changes made for technical reasons, or that are driven by sales and feedback.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
paladin

Post by paladin »

Yup...pretty much like you said..."this is better"

Not a lot of huge specifics given except, IIRC, Sal & Eric wanted to delete the handle / tang transition gap of the PM1 in the closed position...The PM2's is much more refined and elegant, I concede.

Some mention of the pivot, fasteners, and stop pin being more evolved and better on the PM2.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would actually love to see a revamped Para 1 that looks exactly like the original, just with updated construction. My only real complaint about the design was the corner of the tang sticking out, but I remedied that pretty easily on mine. Otherwise it would be nice if the pivot were as smooth/free moving as the Para 2 and if it had a more secure detent. I really love the ergonomics of the Para 1 though, a lot of people complained about the "pinky hump" on the butt of the handle but I never use this knife gripped behind the choil, it just felt wrong to me and felt so right when choked up on (lol). I also get the feeling that the Para 1 is a truer version of a mini Military than the Para 2, which sort of took on its own identity as a model. Aesthetically and ergonomically, the Para 1 still reminds me of a Military, but I don't get that feeling at all from the Para 2. That's not necessarily a BAD thing, just something I appreciate. I thought it was one of the best 3 inch blades available at the time (well, 3.093).

Pics just because I'm feeling nostalgic.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

:D

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Cannot go wrong with the original para. This was my first "nice" spyderco. I spent $140 ish on it at newgraham in like 2005, all black SE. Still have and carry it to this day. It's still solid as well, love the handle to blade ratio on it. More so than the para2's. I may be one of the few but I just like that larger handle and not as large serrated blade.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mine is also rock solid but nowhere near as smooth as the newer P2 or other compression locks. It shows how far the lock has progressed.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David