Knifeworks M4 PM2!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Knifeworks M4 PM2!

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Interesting. I and others had the same issues with The blade HQ M4 para 2. Thanks for posting.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

It was a long wait, but its finally here and it's awesome. M4 and CF make a great pair and this knife does not disappoint. My sample is perfect, with my only comment being that the CF behind the compression lock is uncomfortably sharp. No tooling marks or chipping that I can find.

On my scale for those curious:

Digicamo G10 S30V 3.870 oz
CF M4 3.800 oz
Jade G10 M4 3.935 oz

Now if they would give the same treatment to the Manix... :)
Last edited by abbazaba on Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Nice picture abbazaba, sure raises my anticipation for this one, I'm sure mine will show up some day. This one is going to look so good next to my 52100 military. :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Congrats guys!

I settled for the Jade version. I have too many hobbies right now.
Sushimoto

Post by Sushimoto »

Just came in. Looks sweeeet. Thanks KW, and Spyderco.
Other side.
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

For some reason I kept thinking it would look great will a blue anodized clip.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Looks nice!! Going to sell or trade my jade BHQ for one I think...

Harry
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Pulled the trigger on one...someone I spoke with got one and several of the screws were stripped and the action was not really that great. Anyone else have an issue? I sent them a VERY kind email asking them to do a favor for a long time customer and hand inspect it before shipping. Hope they do so! Can't hurt to ask, right?

Harry
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Wright.88 wrote:Received mine today.

Really excited to get it and it looked great! I asked KW to check for even grind lines and centering, which are both excellent.
You did ask? Oh nice....did they respond to your request?

Harry
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

DrtyHarry wrote:
Wright.88 wrote:Received mine today.

Really excited to get it and it looked great! I asked KW to check for even grind lines and centering, which are both excellent.
You did ask? Oh nice....did they respond to your request?

Harry
They didn't respond, but my request comments were highlighted on the receipt they sent with the knife. The centering and grind lines are excellent. But there are issues with the scales (pocket screw clips not drilled out, small tooling marks, and a few chips on the edges of the scales). I talked with a CS rep this afternoon and she said I can send the knife in for an exchange, but I have to pay return shipping. She said they aren't responsible for factory defects, which I understand, but is a little annoying since I did ask them to inspect it (just not for what was specifically wrong with it).

Not a big deal, though, so I'll probably send it back tomorrow to KW for a replacement.

Also, I asked about the possibility of them selling out before my knife reached them, and was told that was extremely unlikely. So they must still have quite a few left if anyone still wants one!
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Hmmm...that kinda bites. Especially with that warm and cozy note they leave for you upon checkout from Roger Claunch (owner) hoping to hear back from us soon. Well, I guess it couldn't hurt to give them a call tomorrow as well. You are the 3rd or 4th person I heard complain about the same thing. And you know what, if they refuse to hand inspect it...I think I'll just go ahead and cancel right there. I have done A LOT of business with them in the past, and I made not of it in my message that I sent to them. I told them that a few people I knew had issues and are sending them back. You would think that they would put some extra time into the Sprints and Exclusives. I guess not....

Harry
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Ya know....they say they are not responsible for "factory defects". To a point, I have to agree....if I was purchasing a simple production PM2. But look what they say about their "Exclusive" knives....

Looking for an edge above the rest? Here at Knife Works, we’re proud to work with only the highest quality of blade and knife designers, such as Spyderco and ESEE. This gives us the advantage of boasting a collection of knives and blades that are exclusive to us - that means you simply won’t find them anywhere else! Furthermore, that means an edge that you’ll be proud of and that simply won’t let you down – it’s an edge that simply is above the rest!

From Doug Ritter, to Zero Tolerance to Benchmade knives and more, our exclusive collection is full of the makers that you know and love. They’ve got the edge that you’re after, but they’re unique, only found here at Knife Works! This exclusivity makes many of them some of our top-rated items and they tend to go quickly – so get them while they last!

Find the edge you want and the quality that we’re famous for by shopping Knife Works Exclusives!

They specifically say....

Looking for an edge above the rest? Furthermore, that means an edge that you’ll be proud of and that simply won’t let you down – it’s an edge that simply is above the rest!

Well...I am ordering from Knifeworks because I want an edge above the rest. I want an edge that I can be proud of that simply won't let me down. Now, if the knife arrives with stripped screws, tool marks, off center, a bad detent, chipped scales....that statement really doesn't hold true and does not hold much water, does it? I would insist that they pay for the return shipping if in fact you receive such a banged up example. A regular production piece....yes, I can understand that. But an exclusive that they stand behind with a statement like this? Can't say I agree with that...

Am I alone who thinks so?

Harry
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

DrtyHarry wrote: They specifically say....

Looking for an edge above the rest? Furthermore, that means an edge that you’ll be proud of and that simply won’t let you down – it’s an edge that simply is above the rest!

Well...I am ordering from Knifeworks because I want an edge above the rest. I want an edge that I can be proud of that simply won't let me down. Now, if the knife arrives with stripped screws, tool marks, off center, a bad detent, chipped scales....that statement really doesn't hold true and does not hold much water, does it? I would insist that they pay for the return shipping if in fact you receive such a banged up example. A regular production piece....yes, I can understand that. But an exclusive that they stand behind with a statement like this? Can't say I agree with that...

Harry
I certainly wouldn't say I received a bad knife, the issues I mentioned are pretty minor overall. The tool marks are 2 or 3 small marks around the screw holes, and the 2 small chips on the scales are also not very noticeable. I can see how it could have slipped past when I didn't specifically request for them to examine the scales for any chips or defects.

If it was only one of these things I would honestly keep the knife as is because they are small, but because there are several minor issues I'll send it in and hope for a great example in exchange (I'll specifically ask them to check the scales this time :) ).

I've had many perfect purchases from Knifeworks over the years, and am not going to let one less than perfect purchase influence my view of them (as a great company who I'll continue to buy from).
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Oh I agree....but I think they should stand behind the Exclusives and not charge you if the knife isn't up to par. They claim you simply won't be let down....well, if you are...I don't think it should come out of YOUR pocket. IMHO.

Harry
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

DrtyHarry wrote:Ya know....they say they are not responsible for "factory defects". To a point, I have to agree....if I was purchasing a simple production PM2. But look what they say about their "Exclusive" knives....

Looking for an edge above the rest? Here at Knife Works, we’re proud to work with only the highest quality of blade and knife designers, such as Spyderco and ESEE. This gives us the advantage of boasting a collection of knives and blades that are exclusive to us - that means you simply won’t find them anywhere else! Furthermore, that means an edge that you’ll be proud of and that simply won’t let you down – it’s an edge that simply is above the rest!

From Doug Ritter, to Zero Tolerance to Benchmade knives and more, our exclusive collection is full of the makers that you know and love. They’ve got the edge that you’re after, but they’re unique, only found here at Knife Works! This exclusivity makes many of them some of our top-rated items and they tend to go quickly – so get them while they last!

Find the edge you want and the quality that we’re famous for by shopping Knife Works Exclusives!

They specifically say....

Harry
I'm with you here. I think it's silly they claim no responsibility for factory defects even on production knives. They're a reseller and I'm the customer. I don't care if it comes from Spyderco originally, I bought it from them. So in my view it's on them to make it right if something's wrong with the knife.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

FWIW, my KW-exclusive (800-run) S90V Manix XL had an unsightly uneven grind on the spine at the Spydiehole. I sent Roger a couple of pics and asked for an exchange. He consented and, if memory serves, he sent me the replacement before I sent back the flawed one. Classy, I'd say.

EDIT: Forgot to say PM2 arrived yesterday morning, two days after I got my notification. Grinds, pivot, centering, CF scales all superb. Thanks, KW (for the risk) and Spyderco (for the craft).
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Well....they did reply to my email and said they hand inspected it. I actually even called them as well and they said they looked it over and it's on it's way. A guess quite a few people complained...

Harry
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Mine arrives today, I sure hope I dont get one of the bad ones... ;) :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

If I was the owner of KW....I'd be a little upset with Spyderco to be honest. I also heard a handful of people on FB complain about getting pieces that were really rather banged up. I did all I could in hopes of getting a "good" one...we shall see.

Harry
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I got mine in the mail yesterday.

The USPS box looked all muddy and a little banged up, but that is not the fault of KW :). The contents inside were well padded and protected.

I could not find any issues at all with my knife. I didn't switch the clip around, but I did check all the screw holes and none were faulty. I love mine, the CF is great. The grind is even, and it was shaving-sharp.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)