Para 2 Detent Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MattM68

Para 2 Detent Question

Post by MattM68 »

So I was messing around with my Para 2 today, and realized I can very easily shake out the blade. It doesn't come out unless I deliberately try to open it using inertia, but it's extremely easy compared to my 4 other Spydies with detents. Just to clarify, it doesn't just fall out of the handle, and it obviously is still doing it's job. It requires a specific motion to shake it out. It's never opened in my pocket, because I carry it too up against my pocket. It won't bother me unless it gets worse. So I guess my question is, will it get any worse?

Matt
Splice

Re: Para 2 Detent Question

Post by Splice »

You shouldn't be able to do that. Did you tighten the pivot pin?
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I'm not worried about the tightness of the pivot, but a weak detent. I can flick the knife open fine, and it seems okay, but it's detent is noticeably weaker than my other knives. The pivot shouldn't affect the detent, however. Like I said, it doesn't just fall out of the handle. It requires a down-up motion to "accidentally" open.

Matt
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I have many Para 2s. Some detents are slightly stronger than others. If it doesn't cause a problem, I wouldn't worry about it. Any of them can be opened with a hard enough shake.
:bug-red-white
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

gbelleh wrote:I have many Para 2s. Some detents are slightly stronger than others. If it doesn't cause a problem, I wouldn't worry about it. Any of them can be opened with a hard enough shake.
Thanks! I have two, and although it's a little weaker, it hasn't caused any problems, and I haven't been cut by it. It's probably my favorite user. :)

Matt
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I have a couple of PM2's that are heavily used, and when I disassembled one of them for a blade swap yesterday the detent ball had a noticeable flat spot on it. Might be the same issue with yours.
But, even with that flat detent ball, it still doesn't inertia flick out as easily as a Sage 3, which is surprisingly easy to do. So, I wouldn't worry about it.
Going back to Caly.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

This why I like lockbacks the best. Just my personal preference
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

twinboysdad wrote:This why I like lockbacks the best. Just my personal preference

There's nothing here in this discussion to justify as a reason nor argument for or against any particular lock style. It is simply a broken-in detent ball.
Going back to Caly.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

SpeedHoles wrote:There's nothing here in this discussion to justify as a reason nor argument for or against any particular lock style. It is simply a broken-in detent ball.
I mean, there is, if the features of a particular lock style cause an undesirable outcome. One of the disadvantages of locks that use a detent ball (liner, frame, compression) is that once the ball is "defeated" or "overcome," however you want to say it, there is no further closing force on the blade and the ball can do nothing to make it return into the handle. This is not the case for back locks, which tend to have a strong self-close that works until the blade is substantially through its arc. So, if having the blade resist all manner of shaking is important to you, then a back lock might be a better choice.
SpeedHoles wrote:But, even with that flat detent ball, it still doesn't inertia flick out as easily as a Sage 3, which is surprisingly easy to do. So, I wouldn't worry about it.
I would agree that the bolt action lock's self close is very weak, although it hasn't caused a problem for me I can also easily shake the blade out.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Just replace the detent ball if it gets to that point.
So far this worn detent ball is in the running to outlast my blade, which has had an intense amount of material sharpened away from it, as well as the grip from my G10 polished away.

Show me a graph and a pie chart then I'll consider repenting, lol. ;)
By making that comment I was actually trying to avoid the thread turning into a horrible lock vs. lock thread, which would result in Taichung vs. the world, which would then turn into some conglomerate of WGAF for me. But I guess my comment was almost like saying "don't imagine a purple elephant". :p
Going back to Caly.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Hey I'm a lock bigamist, so I like 'em all for the most part. Obviously there are advantages and disadvantages to each, and I don't see an issue with acknowledging that. I'm no religious force, though, so no need to repent.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I place strong detent very high, therefore mostly only lockbacks satisfy my requirement. There is less chance of a lock back opening in the pocket than either a liner or comp lock IMO.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I gotcha, makes sense. Love my lockbacks as well!

I like that, "lock bigamist", haha
Going back to Caly.
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Gonna reopen this discussion. My PM2 sprint easily shook out and that is a show stopper for me. Is there no way besides mailing in the knife to Pyderco to replace the detent ball?

Some might not have a problem with the detention so long as it does not just drop out when hold horizontally, but if I give the knife a quick jerk down and the knife shoot open, I'm done and won't carry it again. Hate to not do that with this nice knife though. Should I just mail it in and will Spyderco replace it if it has not "failed"?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

The detent ball is wearing out. A ceramic detent ball would almost permanently fix the issue. Maybe you could send a request to spyderco to start using ceramic like other makers are doing more and more. It's because they work better.

If you're comfortable with it either replace the detent ball yourself or send it to a good knife guy who can do it for you. Supposedly it's not that hard especially if there's already a hole drilled all the way through the lock bar.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Anyone know if there is a hole and secondly, anyone know where you even get said ceramic detent ball?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

twinboysdad wrote:This why I like lockbacks the best. Just my personal preference
Am liking lockbacks more and more because of this as well, very keen to get my hands on a M2 LB for this reason.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

The only knife I have had open in my pocket was a PM2, no blood, but some clothing was damaged... I can also open all of my PM2s with a wrist flip-n-turn motion. Neither trait has scared me off of the PM2, comp locks, or liner locks, but it is certainly true that retention at close is stronger by a wide margin with back locks and to a slightly lesser extent CBBLs. The call for a Manix back lock just on the grounds of blade retention seems a bit misguided to me, don't get me wrong, you're all allowed to have your favorite lock, but the Manix with CBBL has very decent blade retention and snaps closed quite nicely, once the ball begins to engage the hold-closed ramp on the tang.

I'd be interested to know what the correct method for replacing a detent ball is, are they just hammered or pressed in to place and held by friction, or is there adhesive involved?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
FK

Post by FK »

I just rec'd my PM2 Cru-Wear back from Spyderco.
The detent was not working at all,,, Spyderco replaced the lock bar side and now detent is excellent.

I also requested the red Locktite 263 be replaced with blue grade 243.

Quick turn around and great customer service.

Regards,
FK
Haste

Post by Haste »

I'm unable to shake out my PM2's - although mine are relatively new.

I can get my Yo2 out with a strong shake or down/up.
There's some more blade heft here.
I've always felt that it was designed this way for more opening options.