My new favorite EDC...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: My new favorite EDC...

Post by Donut »

Surfingringo wrote:
Donut wrote:
elena86 wrote:How do you sharpen it Lance ?
Isn't it obvious that he sharpens it with an Anvil and a Ball Peen hammer? :)
Actually i had just finished hammering on a saber ground delica to make it look like a little matriarch. Came out pretty good didn't it?
Talk about a spine whack test! :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
tvenuto wrote:How much hammering did it take to change the handle color?
Three!
I didn't count. I just kept swinging til it was blue. May have been three.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Full swings? Might have overheated it with 3 full swings if it turned blue. Should have stayed around 2.36-2.47 swings and a tap.
I read somewhere that the denim blue Kahr Arms Delica came about from 4 full swings and a snap.

:p
Going back to Caly.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

If you tap before full swings you turn the handle to the other end of the colour spectrum. If you want yellow or red you tap lightly first, and swing hard after.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Have had this Lil' Mat for about 3 days now. Glad I picked one up finally.
Just like the Dodo and Delica had offspring! Lil' Dodolica!
Was always amazed with how much the little Dodo can accomplish, and this has even more blade length wrapped in the ergos and package of my beloved and familiar Delica 4.
Have too little use so far for a solid review, but first thing I noticed before even cutting anything is how the Spyderhole diameter is smaller on the Lil' Matriarch than the Delica. Not a huge amount, maybe 1.5mm, but enough to make a difference. I dislike that personally. I like how the Delica 4 got a bigger hole and I'm so familiar with it now.
So far pull cuts through large cardboard boxes are like butter! Again, just like Dodo, but a bit more length/reach.
I have not touched my edge up yet. Doesn't give vibes or feedback of a fragile tip either...

Here's a quick pic I snapped with my Millie:

...has anyone ever heard of someone enlarging a Spyderhole? I'm not concerned with loss of lateral strength as I won't be intending on using this as a defensive or fighting blade, but just want it to feel like my Delica.
Going back to Caly.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Right on Speedholes! The dodo/Delica fusion is a great analogy. The lil Matriarch is a completely different animal than its full sized brother. As you said, the tip significantly less extreme and doesn't feel fragile at all like the matriarch and civilian. I think the lil Matriarch is a brilliant EDC masquerading as a SD knife!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine. :) I need to just pull the trigger. **** you BBS!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine. :) I need to just pull the trigger. **** you BBS!
Yup, I stared at it about a year before I actually hit the button. I knew i would really like the knife and one day I just looked at it and realized that eventually I was going to open the page and it would be sold out. I think the thought of that pushed me over the top. Come on big guy, you can do it. ;)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

SpeedHoles wrote:...has anyone ever heard of someone enlarging a Spyderhole? I'm not concerned with loss of lateral strength as I won't be intending on using this as a defensive or fighting blade, but just want it to feel like my Delica.
Not personally, but I'd probably check out some of the cylindrical grinding bits or hones on McMaster car. One issue I'd see is of course heat, but also adequate clamping of the blade so that you can stay square.
bearfacedkiller

Surfingringo wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine. :) I need to just pull the trigger. **** you BBS!
Yup, I stared at it about a year before I actually hit the button. I knew i would really like the knife and one day I just looked at it and realized that eventually I was going to open the page and it would be sold out. I think the thought of that pushed me over the top. Come on big guy, you can do it. ;)
We sure are a bunch of enablers. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

SpeedHoles wrote:
...has anyone ever heard of someone enlarging a Spyderhole? I'm not concerned with loss of lateral strength as I won't be intending on using this as a defensive or fighting blade, but just want it to feel like my Delica.
While I haven't enlarged an existing opening hole on a Spyderco, I have created my own opening holes (with permission from Spyderco) by using an Irwin stepped bit and cutting oil. I have tried other methods, but none have been nearly as effective as the stepped bit. (Some of my earlier efforts included using 7/16" Ti coated drill bits at low RPM's. After burning up $40+ in drill bits, I gave the stepped bit a try and was blown away at how effortlessly it cut throught the steel. I've used the same bit to cut through ATS-34, S35VN, D2, and M4. In fact, my original bit is still going strong after three years!)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Mind sharing how you clamped the blade for drilling?
Did you use a drill press?
Going back to Caly.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Oh and hey, saw you movin' and shakin' on BF, Darby, nice swipe! Didn't see price, but glad you were able to find yourself one.
Going back to Caly.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

If it was not for the Domino that I so still need to get and the KW exclusives coming one of these would be on its way to me.

Cool little knife that would excel at the things I use knives for the most, opening things my daughter and wife.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
bearfacedkiller

SpeedHoles wrote: Oh and hey, saw you movin' and shakin' on BF, Darby, nice swipe! Didn't see price, but glad you were able to find yourself one.
Yup. :)
-Darby
bearfacedkiller

Surfingringo wrote:
Trigger pulled. :)
-Darby
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
Right on Darby! I think you will really enjoy carrying this one...I sure do. In fact its in my pocket right now as it has been pretty much since I got it. For the kind of edc chores I run into its just an outstanding knife. Still holding strong to its #1 spot in my edc lineup.
bearfacedkiller

Surfingringo wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
Right on Darby! I think you will really enjoy carrying this one...I sure do. In fact its in my pocket right now as it has been pretty much since I got it. For the kind of edc chores I run into its just an outstanding knife. Still holding strong to its #1 spot in my edc lineup.

I am super excited! This doesn't seem to have been popular but maybe that is just because of BBS. I have a cricket and while it is very small I do appreciate the blade shape for light duty utility uses and carry one in my watch pocket very often. The tip on it is surgical and it is great for opening packages and other EDC tasks. I have wanted another reverse s blade for a while now but I handled a Dodo and it just wasn't quite right for me for a couple of reasons. I have come really close to buying a reverse s meerkat a couple of times and still want one but the timing just hasn't been right. Seeing as how I LOVE the Delica this should be a perfect platform for the reverse s blade for me. I haven't ever bought the regular lil matriarch because I am not a big fan of serrrations.

This seems like it was meant to be. I have been looking on the exchange for one for months and then I just missed one to Speedholes and then you posted this thread and then another one popped up on the exchange and POW, I got one coming. :D
-Darby
bearfacedkiller

Pow!!! It is here! With a Delica and a Cricket for comparison. :D

-Darby
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Noice. What are your initial thoughts?
Going back to Caly.