UKPK sprint blade shape poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

UKPK sprint blade shape poll

Drop Point
39%
Leaf
43%
Both (drop and leaf)
17%

Total votes: 46

twinboysdad

Re: UKPK sprint blade shape poll

Post by twinboysdad »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:I hope everyone who says Wharncliffe but if not Drop realizes that Leaf is basically Wharncliffe with a slight belly. So you should say Wharncliffe or Leaf. Leaf>Drop all day long and twice on Sunday
A wharncliffe with a belly isn't a wharncliffe. While I do not own a UKPK i have handled one and it is basically a non locking Caly3 which I have a couple of and I do not consider the edge even close enough to be called wharncliffish. The Kershaw Leek is Wharncliffish and the R model is a little wharncliffish but the ukpk/Caly3 is not in my opinion even close and has considerable belly.

Also, what about a combo edge sheepsfoot? That would be a big hit. :cool: :p
Caly 3.5 is a wharncliffe with a belly. There is no doubt. You are correct though, a wharncliffe with any belly ceases to be a wharncliffe. However if you add the slightest belly to a wharncliffe you get a superior shape that slices better and has all the benefits in both tip usage and ease of sharpening of a wharnnie. Can you tell I love leaf blades? Endura ain't far from what I am describing either
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This is where it comes down to a game of definitions. I always thought the leaf shaped blades with the most subtle of bellies were really closer to a spear point. The Caly3 has much more belly than the Caly 3.5 and because of that I see the Caly3 as a leaf shape and the Caly3.5 as more of a spear point. There seems to be a lot of grey area in the naming of blades shapes so i guess there is no right and wrong answer here. I can say that I carry a Centofante4 and Kiwi4 all the time and my Caly 3.5 does not behave like them. Either way, the Caly 3 is very close to the UKPK and it seems to be a leaf shape in my opinion. A wharncliffe focuses all of it's energy in the tip in many cutting motions and when cutting rope or similar materials it is extremely resistant to sliding off and any blade with just the slightest amount of belly can tend to do just that.

I do appreciate your desire to try and sell your prefered blade shape. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
I do appreciate your desire to try and sell your prefered blade shape. ;)
LOL! My business cards say Sales under my name so you are more intuitive than you might think!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Both. More variety. More Spydercos. :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

One additional thing, without a lock then a blade with the point high will be less likely to close when making a piercing cut.
---------
Tony S
danielc

Post by danielc »

A leaf shape gets my vote I own a caly 3 so ive never got round to getting a ukpk I definitely like a leaf shape on a short blade.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Both. More variety. More Spydercos. :D
Yep!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Well, so far we have 52100, teal, and leaf.

Come on, drop pointers!

DROP POINT ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

With votes like these it would also be fair to just go for both blade shapes.. ;)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

You're right. We are about even. I voted both.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Change mine to both.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra