Caly 3 in SE?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Caly 3 in SE?

Post by twinboysdad »

this model can still be had, but there are virtually no reviews on it. Who has one? How does it perform? Strictly a gent's?
PanChango

Re: Caly 3 in SE?

Post by PanChango »

I like and use mine a lot. The FFG blade cuts like a champ.

I wouldn't call it strictly a gents knife, it is a good useful edc. That said I don't beat on it on purpose either.

If you like the Caly platform and SE knives, it is a no brainer.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I've got one, and for what I've used it for it has worked great. I'm a big fan of the Caly platform in general, but gotta say I'd personally never daily carry a primary or solo knife in just full SpyderEdge. I've only used this Caly SE as a supplemental secondary carry.

Here's a quick pic of mine I had handy in PB:
Going back to Caly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't own one but if you like the Caly 3 and you like SE, it's a win win combo. The Caly 3 by nature is one of the thinnest behind the edge blades Spyderco makes, which just means the serrations can do their job that much better.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Every Calypso model I've ever owned in Spyderedge were great blades. Particularly one I really liked was the Stainless handled Caly Jr. which was the only variant of the Caly Jr that had a hollow grind.

And the C-54 Calypso which was the original big Calypso model and I believe it was the first folder they ever made in VG-10 if my memory serves me well. But that big boy in Spyderedge was a mega-beast :cool: The C-54 in PE or SE is a permanent fixture in my personal TOP 10 Spyders of all time.

The entire Calypso line up is just a prime example of Spyderco's super IN HOUSE designs. I'm hoping to see a fixed blade Calypso at some point>> and yes I want to see one in Spyderedge too ;)
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Thought I would add a pic as well. Old pic, but this is my normal edc.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One reason I believe that virtually all of the Calypso models do well in Spyderedge even in full flat grind is the overall blade geometry. The blades are somewhat thinner and more streamlined than many of the other Spyderco models which I believe gives them a bit more penetrating power.

I also find it interesting that Spyderco chose the Caly Jr for the debut of ZDP-189 blade steel. When they introduced the Burgundy Caly Jr. with ZDP-189 it sure ushered in a great new era for blade steels. It was for all intents and purposes the best model to bring in a highly specialized blade steel like ZDP-189.

Again the Calypso models are truly Spyderco's IN HOUSE masterpieces for all edge types.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

I used mine a bit hard (occasional cuts through copper wire, mostly), and with the thin grind meaning rather thin pointy bits (that's the technical term) managed to snap a fair number of the teeth. It was still perfectly functional, but I decided to wharncliffe it. Still gets a lot of pocket time in its current form.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

^ Hey Douglas, happen to have any pics of your Wharn'ed Caly??

PanChango wrote:Thought I would add a pic as well. Old pic, but this is my normal edc.

That is a modern classic, living legend, primo carry pair right there! Love it. :spyder:
Going back to Caly.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

I've posted a pic of it here before.

link
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Douglas wrote:I've posted a pic of it here before.

link

Wow, combo edge wharncliffe urban caly! Very slick! Looks like an amazing utility knife. Quite an awesome result from some broken teeth, haha. Thanks for the link.
Going back to Caly.