Kristi: Cloned Posts?

This area is for information on how the forum works and for posting issues/requests. This is NOT to discuss Spyderco products, service, or Spyderco.com, etc. Please review the stickied threads PRIOR to posting a new thread!
paladin

Kristi: Cloned Posts?

Post by paladin »

Kristi, I've noticed a couple of the new "members" ( if they're not bots ) are copying posts verbatim that real members have previously posted...a little weird, could it be a symptom of something nefarious or is it just a prank? thanks

here's the latest I've noticed:

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =6&t=67103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DougC-3

Re: Kristi: Cloned Posts?

Post by DougC-3 »

I've seen that a couple of times and just thought it was a childish prank or some sort of mindless waste of time.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
paladin

Post by paladin »

so you've seen em also...

good to know I'm not going insane
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Yeah, it does make you feel strange to read a post then halfway down the page read the same thing again. Why aren't they out stealing hubcaps like normal kids? ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
paladin

Post by paladin »

Kristi, also check the Restricted Folder subforum, esp. the latest Embassy threads for more of the same copycat behavior
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi guys,
No, it's not a prank, but I can't say there isn't a reason behind it. I've been aware of this behavior for a few months now. You'll notice the posts that caught your eye are gone. Some get reported, but I have my own way of finding the ones that don't get reported.

For the record, they are bots - each and every one of them. We haven't figured out the end game as there is no obvious "prize" for their activity. They aren't posting true spam and there aren't even links in their signatures or profiles. They do all have some nonsensical signature line (that's another tell). I have a few theories about what they are trying, but I don't want to detail those.

Please use the report post feature whenever you see a suspicious post. It does help.

Thanks for noticing and for posting!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Thanks, I figured you were already on the case...and I did notice a few "disappear"...and it was you who "terminated" them-- nice.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Amazing that they're bots. I think we should call them mockingbots.