Mr. Sal, a Lil Temp 2 question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Mr. Sal, a Lil Temp 2 question

Post by twinboysdad »

1) Is there anyway you would consider running a small amount of these in green as an homage to the original, say 200 or so? I think black will sell better universally, but us nerds here might like the retro green.

2) Also, any chance any of these will be Rhino horn bladed shape

I am thrilled about this knife as is but just curious about the questions above
GoldenSpydie

Re: Mr. Sal, a Lil Temp 2 question

Post by GoldenSpydie »

First off, a run of 200 would only cover the collectors club, and unless you are a collector, you would have to fight for one on the secondary market. A run of 600+ is much more likely, IMHO.

However, I do like the idea of a sprint Lil' Temp 2 in green/trailing point. Maybe a year or two after the standard version debuts?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

GoldenSpydie wrote:First off, a run of 200 would only cover the collectors club, and unless you are a collector, you would have to fight for one on the secondary market. A run of 600+ is much more likely, IMHO.

However, I do like the idea of a sprint Lil' Temp 2 in green/trailing point. Maybe a year or two after the standard version debuts?
Yeah I definitely want to see the Rhino Horn Lil T come back for sure>> and I want a Spyderedged version this time as well. But even a PE Rhino Horn will have me standing in line. I did like the leaf blade Lil T but there was just something about that Rhino Horn version that demanded respect.

Oh yes!! I do also want an original green handle as well.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I posted this in mr. Blondes thread but I'll throw it in here too. I would vote for ALL of them to have the original green colored handle. In peel ply I think it would look much like the handle on the knifeworks pm2...which was a very handsome and popular model. Somehow the lil T just didn't look right to me without the green handle. I don't know how close to production this one is but it seems if the handles aren't already cut and if the overwhelming opinion was in favor of the original handle color then this wouldn't be a massive decision. I dunno, just my 2¢.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I found a mint New Old Stock Lil Temp Leaf in 440v PE that now lives with Wire Edge Roger. The only reason I did not keep it was the a$$ awful clip. Other than the clip it was perfection. I look forward to the new one either way but think a partial run in green G10 for the hardcore purists as well as as Rhino blade run would be bringing the Lil T2 completely full circle
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Surfingringo wrote:I posted this in mr. Blondes thread but I'll throw it in here too. I would vote for ALL of them to have the original green colored handle. In peel ply I think it would look much like the handle on the knifeworks pm2...which was a very handsome and popular model. Somehow the lil T just didn't look right to me without the green handle. I don't know how close to production this one is but it seems if the handles aren't already cut and if the overwhelming opinion was in favor of the original handle color then this wouldn't be a massive decision. I dunno, just my 2¢.
Agree with you completely Lance and with GS about a rhino horn sprint a year or two down the road.

Personally as an owner of both 440V versions of the Lil Temp, I'm a bit mixed about my feelings on this new iteration. Seems like it's directly treading on PM2 territory, and not sure it's a worthy contender. Dunno, just rambling thoughts here folks on a Friday night... Heck, not like I won't get one! :D Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am pretty sure it is still an early proto so ...
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Another request for green! And rhino horn version too.
:bug-red-white
swigert

Post by swigert »

Green please
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Anyone else interested in seeing just a bit more contouring going on with the handles also...? Maybe not quite exactly like original, but just a bit more than 1 countersunk dot.

Definitely retro-green!

Either way with leaf or rhino... unless rhino pushes it out another year or two from the current proto.
Going back to Caly.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Twinboysdad,

The Lil' Temperance project has been ongoing for a long time. The original design came some time after working with James Keating about the turn of the century. He's a very skilled MBC practitioner and an excellent instructor. (I did the "Riddle of Steel" with him, a lifetime memorable experience). Also where I met Laci, Bram, and a bunch of other great guys.

I was already watching the trend to smaller knives, and I felt that I wanted a "solid chunk of a knife with a 3" blade". A basic MBC folder for the urban areas and still be within the legal parameters of "Urbana". I finished the design after more than 20 models were built, refining each time. I had invented the Compression Lock for Bram's knife and decided to use this lock. Getting the grip right with no choil on a 3" knife without extending the handle has it's design challenges. I also wanted to be able to incorporate a position for RGEO (Reverse-Grip-Edge-Out) with an easy spin. The final product was ok, but not exactly what I wanted. I wanted more of a curved 3D handle shape and a lighter model. It was the best we could do at the time and it did incorporate the two grips I was seeking. We ended up disco'ing the models because of Vendor problems, not sales.

As I continued studying MBC styles, I also became interested in P'Kal. Working with Craig Douglas and Michael Janich, my knowledge and understanding grew. When I decided to bring back a Lil' Temperance design, adding RGEI (Reverse-Grip-Edge-In) and still keeping the original design parameters, There were a lot of little details to work out. We also had more locks we were working with (Lock-back, Walker Linerlock, Reeve Integral Lock, Compression Lock. Ball bearing lock (& caged version) and Stop Lock) since the original design was penned. After much discussion with Eric, I opted for the Compression lock.

Thne current version shown at the "A'dam Meet" was the result of much work. The only mod left is to shoreten the clip a few mm. Our long term plan is to end up with an FRN version, with contoured scales and nested liners, Like the Endura. The slab version will be used for testing design. We haven't cut material yet and can make it any color, or even more than one if the demand is there. the slab version will stay in the line until the FRN version is available and is right.

sal
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Refinement is our evolutionary obligation to Humankind".
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Thanks for the info. Any plan for rhino horn?
:bug-red-white
sal

Post by sal »

If the project goes well, I see no reason not to add a Rhino horn, either in the G-10 runs, or the FRN runs. Once the tooling is made for the FRN version, color and steel variations are easier to do.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I got to handle the Proto at the seconds sale and LOVED it and think that an frn version of a knife this tough just makes perfect sense.

I was unaware until Sal told me at the seconds sale that the Temp was originally designed as a fighting knife. I guess this explains why it is such a stout folder.

I would love a green version myself. It is my favorite color.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

I'm pretty excited about the contoured frn scales, hopeful that it will have D'Allara-esque comfort.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Handled this at the meet and it seems great. An FRN version would be brilliant, I've been wanting an FRN blade with compression lock for quite awhile..
This one and the D'Allara are both blades that I hope will end up being produced in FRN, I'll probably end up buying every different version along the way.. :)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

If and when it makes it to FRN production stage, would it become the first Compression-lock equipped FRN handled knife? I can't recall any others off the top of my head.
Going back to Caly.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

What an owner and industry leader Sal is! Looks like if you guys keep voting for green it is not off the table. Thank you Sal
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

SpeedHoles wrote:If and when it makes it to FRN production stage, would it become the first Compression-lock equipped FRN handled knife? I can't recall any others off the top of my head.
Vesuvius.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I'd love it in green for the nostalgia factor. Only criticism I have is the bright/shiny pocketclip. I would prefer either black, beadblasted, or something more subdued in color. Looking forward to BLADE and handling this one.