A shorter Paramilitary

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tdhurl1103

A shorter Paramilitary

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

If this topic has already been addressed in some other thread I apologize.

Sal posted over in Blade Forums elaborating to a shorter bladed (3inch?? fingers crossed) Paramilitary being in the works. He also eluded it would be a few years away. I cannot express my happiness at this most fascinating and wonderful news.

I have said from my first stumblings through the BF Spydie subforum that I would really really love a PM with a 3 inch blade and about a half inch knocked off the back end. It seems others expressed the same thing (I do not believe I could ever or have ever influenced anyone) at some point, and it appears a perfectly sized PM may be a reality (hopefully). Some over at BF have come to call it the "militia." I'm not sure about the name, but for now it will fit, LOL.

I want to express also that while I like/love big knives, a large bladed knife in most places public is not what people want to see. A 3 inch blade option, I believe, can cover most legal carry places in the US. And a PM that I can carry every **** day is just what I need.

Thanks to Sal and Spyderco for doing this.
Last edited by Tdhurl1103 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
bearfacedkiller

Re: A shorter Paramilitary

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Paramilitary1?

So I am guessing the Para3 is gonna be a Para1 with all the updates of the Para2.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

I believe so, yes. I did not have the joy of handling a PM1, so I can only speculate it would be about the same.
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Whoa. I don't think Sal mentioned replacing the para 2, it's a new model. I like my PM2's just the way they are thank you. That said, I'd buy the shorter version too.

Since it would be an all new model they could redo all the sprints/exclusives again from the PM2 lineup, and this time I would have a chance at getting them at original prices.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

Replacing anything was not mentioned. Put the pin back in that grenade bro! LOL
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sorry, I misread bearfaceds post incorrectly. Phew.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

here is what he said. Actually, I am not sure if its a 3 inch blade or shorter. Only Sal and R&D knows or sure. I might have to go back up an edit my initial post.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ht=PM+inch
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wasn't thinking replacement. The original Native carried on until just now and Sal has said that the Military2 will not be replacing the original either. The vg10 stretch was discontinued but the zdp version will remain in the lineup with the new stretch for at least a little while.

They wouldn't discontinue a model that they struggle to keep up with demand on anyway. I too would be devastated. Don't mess with perfection.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

I would not want the PM2 to be replaced either. I just want the Mili and ParaMili to have a little brother in the family.
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Agreed. Definitely wouldn't be a smart move as a replacement, just moreso as an alternative!
Technically, the PM2 is illegal where I live. So a 3" blade would be VERY welcome, and I'm sure Michigan isn't alone on that note.
If there is any reason for them to make it smaller, my guess is the primary would be these laws creating the demand...

Ironically though, I do like using a 3" blade for EDC on many knives. My Caly 3 sees more use than the 3.5 for example (and not because of regulation).
Going back to Caly.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

If a person wanted a smaller knife, what is wrong with the Sage series?
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

bdblue wrote:If a person wanted a smaller knife, what is wrong with the Sage series?

Not a thing. I have a Sage 1 and love it very much. The Sage is my business suit knife, and it does very well in that role. I just really really love the PM, and wish I could carry it more.
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I too read about this over at BF, however I don't find the prospect terribly exciting. I feel like the PM2 already has a fairly large handle-to-blade-length ratio, and shortening the blade alone would result in a whole lot of extra handle taking up pocket and hand. Perhaps the smaller blade would present the opportunity to design a smaller, slimmer handle to go with it? Something delica-sized (or dragonfly-sized) might be nice.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

That sounds like a cool little blade! Looking forward to it :).
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

I made the first suggestion on the BF board about calling it the "Militia", as it seemed the proper name. I'll stand by that, without Militia our country wouldn't exist. Militia are usually un-enlisted citizen soldiers, pretty much common everyday people. It seems appropriate because it would more or less appeal to the EDC crowd more than the high speed low drag enlisted folks. Someone else suggested "Minuteman" but that is a name already used by Shrade, my Pops has one.

This wasn't supposed to be a replacement to the PM2, it's more to complement the Military and the PM2. To complete the chain so to speak.

The other shorten the blade and keep the handle the same length idea isn't what was suggested. It was a total shrink down, although not by much. 3" blade to be more carry friendly for those unfortunate souls in states that view knives as "icky despicable war weapons" if they're over 3". It's not just for them though, plenty of folks think a 3" blade is just right, myself included. A shorter handle length was a no brainer, lightens the weight and keeps the folder more balanced. It's also more pocket friendly and takes up less room. Nobody I saw said to keep the handle the same length, from my recollection at least.

Sal said it might be a few years off though, I'll be first in line when it comes out for sure. They wouldn't be able to take my money fast enough!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Now I'm just wondering how it might compare/conflict with possible upcoming Sage with a Compression lock, and also a Lil' Temp, also with Compression lock?
Of course, any Paramilitary is its own category nearly, but there might be some overlap?
Going back to Caly.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The ideal solution is to shorten the handle IMO.The blade is perfect as it is.A shorter and a a more refined handle will ensure a better handle to blade ratio and better ergos.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Shorter blade and handle like the mastiff explaines would be Perfect!
I am in total love with the pm2 i own 4 of them 1 sprint in elmax and all of them except my user have custom scales.
Now i can say i would buy and collect that smaller form in a heart beat and it would even be my favorite over the pm2. (Even though i would keep buying the pm2 also .. :D)
In my opinion a 3" blade is just about perfect for all my needs. :)
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Liquid Cobra wrote: Since it would be an all new model they could redo all the sprints/exclusives again from the PM2 lineup, and this time I would have a chance at getting them at original prices.
Or even some new configurations! That prospect alone is enough motivation to start a separate checking account. I'm with you, I love the PM2 the way it is, but I'd certainly be on the wait list for a Militia (digging the name too, Mastiff). I'm actually hoping to land a PM1 too some day so I can enjoy the whole family.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

bdblue wrote:If a person wanted a smaller knife, what is wrong with the Sage series?
Because they're worlds apart in shape, they're different knives...

I'm all for a shorter version - I find I only use 3" blades now. I used to like 3.5", but now I carry a 3" and 4". Just feels too big and small at the same time - weird. I hope the handle is shrunk smaller than the Para 1. It was off kilter, in my opinion. I still like my Para 1, but the detent is too weak and scares me.
- best wishes, Jazz.