SpyderEdge on Folders?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chum

SpyderEdge on Folders?

Post by Chum »

Is it possible that we will see the SpyderEdge on folders in the future?

SpyderEdge

vs.

Regular Serrations
rycen

Re: SpyderEdge on Folders?

Post by rycen »

What would the advantage of having that style on a folding knife be?

If I had to guess they were designed that way to keep from contacting the cutting board constantly.
Chum

Post by Chum »

rycen wrote:What would the advantage of having that style on a folding knife be?

If I had to guess they were designed that way to keep from contacting the cutting board constantly.
I'd like to hear from Spyderco if they have done any comparative testing between the two serration styles. Is the SpyderEdge better than the traditional serrations just on a cutting board? If it is better for things like rope, cardboard, whatever, it would be interesting to know.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Chum wrote:I'd like to hear from Spyderco if they have done any comparative testing between the two serration styles. Is the SpyderEdge better than the traditional serrations just on a cutting board? If it is better for things like rope, cardboard, whatever, it would be interesting to know.
I'm sure they have done comparisons between their two serration styles. This one was designed to keep most of the serrations from contacting the cutting board as Rycen mentioned (at least according to the Spyderco materials).

You'd have to define "traditional serrations" but I would imagine that spyderco thinks their serration patterns are "better." If they didn't, they'd just be using the style they found to be best. There are many serration styles though, so this is a difficult question to answer without directly referencing one type or another.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I haven't used my kitchen knives EDC-type tasks but it seems the culinary edge lacks the same bite of the typical SpyderEdge. Probably not a bad thing as it's less likely to mangle things like tomatoes and has edge length to make up for the lack of aggression.

IMHO for something like a Cricket or Delica you want all the bite you can get because a 2" cutting surface doesn't allow a very long draw cut.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I hadn't noticed the difference on their kitchen knives. I looked in the description and here is what was there:

This version of the K04 features a SpyderEdge blade with a unique two-step serration pattern that protects the edge from dulling on cutting boards.

I'm sure they did testing on this style of serration and I'll trust that. You know what though? I've been looking at knives that I might like for a fishing knife. I'm now thinking one or two of the 6" kitchen knife might be great. One for a fishing trip and one for the kitchen. I don't remember seeing them on the sites I normally shop on. Where are they sold?

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

jackknifeh wrote:I hadn't noticed the difference on their kitchen knives. I looked in the description and here is what was there:

This version of the K04 features a SpyderEdge blade with a unique two-step serration pattern that protects the edge from dulling on cutting boards.

I'm sure they did testing on this style of serration and I'll trust that. You know what though? I've been looking at knives that I might like for a fishing knife. I'm now thinking one or two of the 6" kitchen knife might be great. One for a fishing trip and one for the kitchen. I don't remember seeing them on the sites I normally shop on. Where are they sold?

Jack
Post edit"
If you like black handles you also can get a plain edge. This is a blurp from the black handle version.
This version of the K04 features a razor sharp PlainEdge or a SpyderEdge blade with a unique two-step serration pattern that protects the edge from dulling on cutting boards.
Chum

Post by Chum »

tvenuto wrote:You'd have to define "traditional serrations" but I would imagine that spyderco thinks their serration patterns are "better." If they didn't, they'd just be using the style they found to be best. There are many serration styles though, so this is a difficult question to answer without directly referencing one type or another.
I don't think I used the proper terms when asking my question. Apparently all of Spyderco's serration patterns are called "SpyderEdge," correct? I was specifically interested in Spyderco's "Two-Step SpyderEdge" vs. Spyderco's traditional "SpyderEdge."

If the Two-Step serrations were specifically designed for longer edge life on cutting boards, that would probably be useful to me. At work I will often lay carboard down on a workbench and make cuts. I would think the Two-Step serrations would be helpful there.

My general understanding of serrations is that they do two basic things...
- Extend the overall length of the edge. More edge in the same length of blade means more edge is traveling through the cutting medium on a slice.
- Protect the sharpened scallops from surface areas with the teeth of the serrations.

If this is correct, it looks like the Two-Step serrations might do a better job, in both instances, than the traditional Spyderco serrations simply because the wavy edge (with serrations in the waves) should create even more total edge length per given length of the blade, and create a secondary protection to the sharpened scallops.

That's just what it looks like to me. I'd like to know what Spyderco would say to this, if anything.

I noticed on BladeHQ that the Spyderco Aqua Salt was going to be re-released. They didn't have a picture of the serrated model available. Any chance that would have the Two-Step Serrations?
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Chum,

I'm not Sal, but I pretend to be when I want to try to be more civil - I have a couple of those kitchen knives, the serrations are more stretched out than the regular serrations which in general makes serrations less aggressive under high force but more smooth (less snaggy) under softer and faster cutting. This would seem to be a sensible design optimization for kitchen work. I will see if I can get the serrated Salt back from loan as a point of comparison.

As a side note, all serrations keep the edge off the cutting board, this is the secret to the infamous Ginzu demos where they slice into a steel pipe and the slice a tomato. If you do this then you just round the tips but the scallops are well protected. Plus in the demos they often do the heavy cutting with one part of the edge and then start the precision cutting on another, this helps as well.
Chum

Post by Chum »

Cliff Stamp wrote: have a couple of those kitchen knives, the serrations are more stretched out than the regular serrations which in general makes serrations less aggressive under high force but more smooth (less snaggy) under softer and faster cutting. This would seem to be a sensible design optimization for kitchen work.
I like the sound of that. My favorite serrations thus far are those on my Victorinox Paring knife (sorry Spyderco.) Those are very smooth serrations and it doesn't feel like I'm using a saw.
rycen

Post by rycen »

i'm sure the aqua salt will have the traditional Spyderco serrations.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

rycen wrote:What would the advantage of having that style on a folding knife be?

That's a good question Rycen and I'm glad you brought it out in the open :) I have an older Spyderco folder that has a serration pattern sort of like the one in the K-05 pictured. My older AUS-8 Catcherman has a more wavy, low profile serration pattern and personally I find that it cuts a lot smoother than some of the newer, spikey serrations.

But I've noticed that a lot of the culinary type fixed blade Spyders of the past had different serration patterns. Actually you could say that the CAtcherman is sort of a culinary type folder in a lot of ways. I sure use my old AUS-8 full SE Catcherman for a lot of different food cutting chores and it works excellent. I hope someone from the factory is checking this thread out because I would like to see a bigger variety of serration patterns in the future myself.

Now don't get me wrong because in some applications and especially with Spyderco's hawkbill blades the spikey serration patterns you get especially from the Japan made Spyders work exceptionally well with Hawkbills and reverse S blades>> and for that reason I would love to see them used on recurves as well. Great thread!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Just to clarify, "SpyderEdge" is Spyderco's trademarked term for any of our sully serrated edges. Similarly, we use the terms PlainEdge and CombinationEdge to describe plain edges and partially serrated edges. The variation of the SpyderEdge used on the kitchen knives is purposely different than the pattern used on our general-use knives to prevent dulling when cutting on a cutting board. The long teeth provide a "stand-off" that allows the rest of the serration to continue cutting and remain sharper longer. Since the ergonomics of our general-use knives don't really lend themselves to extensive kitchen/cutting board use, I don't think we'll see their serration patterns changed. They work exceptionally well for the tasks for which they were primarily designed--like cutting rope, webbing, and other fibrous materials. The kitchen knife serrations are optimized for cutting food.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Michael Janich wrote:Just to clarify, "SpyderEdge" is Spyderco's trademarked term for any of our sully serrated edges.
Then once again, the spyderco.com site confused me because it has incorrect information:
spyderedge.png
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Knutty wrote:
Michael Janich wrote:Just to clarify, "SpyderEdge" is Spyderco's trademarked term for any of our sully serrated edges.
Then once again, the spyderco.com site confused me because it has incorrect information:
spyderedge.png
I think we're mincing words at this point, but the kitchen serrations appear to me to also have one large and two small serrations, the main difference is the height of the middle tooth. Nothing about the pic you show says to me that the depicted serrations are the ONLY thing called SpyderEdge.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Serration patterns are always a trade off between aggressiveness and smoothness of the cutting action. It shows a lot of intelligence for Spyderco to optimize the pattern on the kitchen knives for long life on cutting boards, and to optimize the pattern on folders for maximum cutting power on a short blade. Horses for courses.

My dad uses a serrated K05 for cutting English muffins in half. The rough texture imparted by the serrations is ideal for retaing butter and jam. These toppings can easily slide off a muffin cut with a sharp plain edge.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tvenuto wrote:
Knutty wrote:
spyderedge.png
I think we're mincing words at this point, but the kitchen serrations appear to me to also have one large and two small serrations, the main difference is the height of the middle tooth. Nothing about the pic you show says to me that the depicted serrations are the ONLY thing called SpyderEdge.
That's a good way of putting it "tvenuto" because Spyderco with their "Spyderedge" being their version of a serrated knife edge is sort of a "catch all" phrase for many serration patterns that have come forth from Spyderco.

I particularly like the way they explain it in the book "The Spyderco Story" by Kenneth Delavigne. You can look at every distinct pattern they have going back to my beloved early to mid 90s Catcherman model with a full Spyderedge which is much different that the serrations on the Catcherman models that were done later with MBS-26 with a combo edge.

Also you can see by checking out one of their very early models like the C-27 Jess Horn model which has a serration pattern like no other model that Spyderco did before that one or since they did the C-27.

Without a doubt most of their culinary fixed blades like the K-04 and K-05 had a more circular, protruded pattern that is far different than any of their Japan made folders that had a much more spikey type of serration.

There are also distinct pattern differences between the Japan made folder models than the Golden CO USA made models that tend to be less spikey then their Japan counterparts.

I'm actually hoping that Spyderco will continue to hopefully try out other patterns as time goes on. By taking a set of Spyderco's 701 Profiles you can somewhat modify any of the patterns if you're patient and work with good magification.

I think there still remains a lot of unexplored territory with serration patterns and I hope to see more aggressive patterns come forth and even more wavy/rounded patterns for their culinary blades as well. It's certainly an area that Spyderco could really do some more new product development>> and hopefully we'll see some new stuff in Spyderedge soon.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Knutty wrote:
spyderedge.png
There are so many different serration patterns out there on the market that it's really hard to make any blanket statements about serrated edges and have them be true in all serrated blade types. Spyderco's basic Spyderedge really consists of one big pronounced "scallop" along with two protruding spikes>> at least that's the way I see it in most of the Spyderco serrated blades I own and use.

That's what is so great about the Spyderco 701 Profiles is that there are radii, flat edges and corners to fit almost any serrated cutting edge and thus being able to sharpen them to their original factory edge without deforming them. Which is the one major reason I don't like using the 204 sharpmaker on most serrated edges. I find the 701 Profiles to be far more advantageous and accomodating.

But basically you have scallops and spikes on most al of Spyderco's great patterns. They can be manually filed and thus keep the original factory edge looking like it did when it left the factory. Not all serrated knife companies can make that statement unfortunately.

Personally I can't wait to see what they have concocted on the new GAUNTLET sharpening system for sharpening serrated edges.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Knutty wrote: