Any love for the Squeak?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
babtron

Any love for the Squeak?

Post by babtron »

I cannot get enough of this little guy. I thought I would go back to the Delica, but that lasted about a night. I thought the Dice was the end all be all, but I got this guy. It's perfection. I've said it about a lot of Spydercos, but this one seriously is...perfection. The first time I handled it, I laughed. It wasn't to make fun, but because of how cool this little guy is. Purchasing it was just to prepare for the Sprint, not necessarily to carry. But now, I find it seriously hard not to carry. If there was some global rule to only have one knife, this would be it folks.

It has amazing ergos for such a small knife. IMO, it's 10x better than his brethren, the DF2. It's 10x better than other Spyderco classics. It feels much better in my hand. Weight is perfect. It's light, but has a little weight to it, especially towards the butt of the handle. The sound of opening this thing just makes me giggle inside. I love the convenience of it being a slip-it. No locks to deal with and the coil makes it very, very secure. I thought the flipper on the Dice was fun, and it is, but this thing is just as fun. Seriously. I don't know why. Maybe it's the sound of opening and "locking" into place. It just sounds so awesome.

Oh, and N690Co...great, great steel. It doesn't mean anything, but I just love how this steel looks. I got it pretty **** sharp too :)

The Ti/Elmax Sprint is my most anticipated knife, ever. I cannot wait to get one...or two...or even three :p

Sal, you're a genius.

(My simple mod. A Sage 1 clip :))

Jazz

Re: Any love for the Squeak?

Post by Jazz »

It is a cool little guy, but at the same time, seriously tough and able to handle heavy cutting. Very well designed and built. I modded the tip to just a wee bit more point. You can use the clip or just drop it in the pocket (I don't know why people remove clips - they're not in the way, even if you don't use them). It's my cutest knife, and I'm really enjoying the Slipits lately. Here's mine. Most pics are factory, but the first one shows the modded tip. I think the Titanium one will be really cool.

- best wishes, Jazz.
PWork

Post by PWork »

The Squeak is next on my list. Your post makes me want one even more.

Thanks for the side-by-side shot with the Dragonfly (a long time favorite of mine), it really puts it in perspective for me.
Paul
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'm glad to hear you guys are enjoying your Squeaks. I had a Squeak and sold it. There's something about FRN slipits that I just don't like. They don't have that solid snap and firm lock-open that the G-10 slipits do. In that size range, I prefer the Dragonfly, Cat, or the G-10 Urban. But the ergos of the Squeak were ok, so maybe I'd like the titanium version.
:bug-red-white
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

There's always some love for the Squeak :D
Would love to see a Ti or G10 version of it someday...

A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I own two Squeaks, but unfortunately I haven't carried them very often. :o To echo gbelleh, I think I would like the Squeak more if it were available in something like G-10. Something about the FRN just doesn't do it for me. Still, it is a fantastic design. Make it into a lockback, and I would EDC it for life. :cool:
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

SpyderNut wrote:I own two Squeaks, but unfortunately I haven't carried them very often. :o To echo gbelleh, I think I would like the Squeak more if it were available in something like G-10. Something about the FRN just doesn't do it for me. Still, it is a fantastic design. Make it into a lockback, and I would EDC it for life. :cool:
It doesn't ride in my pocket very often... twice a month at max...
But if the materials were better, it would get more pocket-time indeed.
Still love the fact it's a super deep carry and just vanishes in a pants coin pocket :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

A couple more pics...

- best wishes, Jazz.
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

Plenty of love here! It's a very nice design and fits my hand (size 9) like it was custom made for me. The handle is thick enough and can be gripped hard, I much prefer it over, say, the Dragon Fly or Delica. I'm even entertaining the idea of getting the Titanium version at some point, just to have a dressier small knife for more formal occasions, but will not jump in with too much haste: the price is just too steep for me. The route I'm more likely to take, at least for now, is to make a set of Micarta scales. Cuscadi makes very nice scales, but the design is so simple (just flat slabs, basically) that I should be able to cook my own without too much difficulty, time permitting.

The only problem I have with the Squeak is that it keeps on jumping out of my pocket (watch pocket) when bicycling. I've already lost one and also the current specimen has tried to leave me a few times - luckily I've noticed it. Maybe going with coarse finish on the Micarta handles will help with the issue. Until I come around a solution, I will consider it good mindfulness training to always sense the presence of the knife on me ;)
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

That Squeak blade looks an awful lot like the blade on my MeerKat.. Just sayin!! ;) John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
allory

Post by allory »

I carried mine a lot, until my wife saw it. Now I'm hoping for another sale on the pink model.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I love mine! I have a few pink ones... I took the clip off of one that rides in the "watch pocket" on jeans really easily without being seen, and one of the other ones with a clip rides in a pocket on my work bag (although now it gets swapped out with a Pingo every so often.)

Donut

Post by Donut »

jmh58 wrote:That Squeak blade looks an awful lot like the blade on my MeerKat.. Just sayin!! ;) John :)
I find that in use, there is a small section that isn't as curvy as the Meerkat and Lava's, which makes it more useful.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

jmh58 wrote:That Squeak blade looks an awful lot like the blade on my MeerKat.. Just sayin!! ;) John :)

There is a similarity for sure, but you can see in the pic that there's a difference in the belly's apex and the Meerkat is a little less acute at the tip. For such a small cutting portion, it changes the cuts quite allot.
Both of them are great LBK's :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Plenty of love for the Squeak here as well! I consider it a micro-UKPK. I have a few pink ones stashed away for my daughters when they're old enough for their first knife.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Mr Blonde wrote:Plenty of love for the Squeak here as well! I consider it a micro-UKPK. I have a few pink ones stashed away for my daughters when they're old enough for their first knife.
Still need to find a pink Squeak for my girlfriend,
already got here a few pink knives, including the Ladybug.
But this one is just perfect :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

babtron

Post by babtron »

Can't get enough of the Squeak! I carried my SB DF2 today and ended up missing my Squeak :p

I'm tempted to buy a couple Pink ones for the good cause and then buying cuscadi g10 scales for one of them or RIT dye one blue...either that or save up for the upcoming Sprint!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I know it's expensive but I think squeak fans are really going to regret missing this upcoming sprint. I feel the slight need to snag an FRN first to make sure I like the design, but the Ti squeak is on my short list for sure. My first true LBK.
babtron

Post by babtron »

tvenuto wrote:I know it's expensive but I think squeak fans are really going to regret missing this upcoming sprint. I feel the slight need to snag an FRN first to make sure I like the design, but the Ti squeak is on my short list for sure. My first true LBK.
Just gives us more time to snatch multiple up :p

I'm definitelt going to buy 2 of them. One to use and one for backup.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

This thread made me decide on making scales for my little Squeak. Started savaging the shed for usable pieces of wood and I started working on a scale.
Figured leaving one side original and the other side wood. Think it'll look nice as a contrast and still provide some grip where needed :)

I'll be sanding it down to the desired ergonomics and put a couple layers of lacquer om top in the morning.

I'll be sure to make some pictures as soon as the lacquer is hard enough to fit the scale! :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.