What is your little big knife preference?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Japan or Taiwan for LBK?

Japan: Ladybug, Manbug, Dragonfly, etc.
52%
Taiwan: Chaparral, Techno, Chubby, Air, etc.
35%
Golden: Dodo, Leaf Storm
6%
Italy: Pingo, Squeak
5%
China: Ambitious, Persistence, Clipitool, BugSet
1%

Total votes: 141

Holland

What is your little big knife preference?

Post by Holland »

I would like to hear other peoples opinions on what they prefer in a little big knife.
For myself, I go back and forth between Taiwan and Japan while looking for my favourite (more specifically, chaparral vs dragonfly). On one hand, you can't deny the quality of the knives coming from Taiwan. The Taiwan knives have incredible fit and finish, and overall classier designs. On the other hand, for what Japan lacks f&f wise, they make up for in lighter weight and steel variety. Does FRN offer the most advantaged for a smaller knife? Is the strength gained from titanium and steel needed on a small knife?
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Jazz

Re: What is your little big knife preference?

Post by Jazz »

I don't go for countries, I go for the Manbug. I'll throw in a Pingo and occasionally a Dragonfly or Squeak now and then, but the Manbug rules. With a fob on it, it's a much bigger knife, yet tucks away like it's original size. Throw it in your pocket and you don't even really feel it. I have fairly large hands...

- best wishes, Jazz.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Dragonfly. For the design, not the country.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Techno for me. The techno is really my only LbK however. But it suits my needs.
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Manbug and I don't care where it is made. With a fob, as Jazz noted, it is perfect.
Mike
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It has amazed me for the longest time how versatile and all the EDC capabilities that the DODO model has provided me whenever I carry it. I voted for the Dodo in the category listed with it.

When I first seen the Dodo model in a 2003 Catalog. I thought it only to be a novelty type knife but I've completely changed my mind. It's now a major optional EDC in my arsenal.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

mikeh99 wrote:Manbug and I don't care where it is made. With a fob, as Jazz noted, it is perfect.
+1 on this ... I recently (finally) snagged a sprint Jester, and once in a while I'll carry it instead ... pretty much just the Manbug's eccentric cousin ...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Ladybug, Dragonfly, Jester for me.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Dragonfly's, Ladybugs and Jesters are never far away when I go out the door!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think you have LBK's, like the Dodo and Dragonfly for example, and then you have just plain old little knives like the Ladybug. I think once you can get a full grip or close to all 4 fingers on a knife you're in a place that's unfair to also compare a Ladybug to.

Another way to look at it is, would you carry all of them on your keys?
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Evil D wrote:I think you have LBK's, like the Dodo and Dragonfly for example, and then you have just plain old little knives like the Ladybug. I think once you can get a full grip or close to all 4 fingers on a knife you're in a place that's unfair to also compare a Ladybug to.

Another way to look at it is, would you carry all of them on your keys?
I agree with D here. The Ladybug and Manbug are different animals and not what I would consider LBKs like some of the others in the list. My go-to LBK is my Dragonfly. I own 2 of them. The one I bought back in 2002 with AUS-8 and molded clip and the newer D2 with wire clip and VG-10. I alternate carrying the two. The older one is well used and it shows it. I've used it for just about anything and everything you can imagine and other than a few bumps and bruises it still functions like just like it did on day 1.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

I am now a Michael Walker C22 kind of guy. Mine was Japanese made, and the h1 dragonfly was my first lbk. I don't care so much as to where the knife was made so long as it's functional. My g-10 dragonfly is usually in my backpack and my walker is in my pocket.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Country of origin does not matter to me, just the features. Little knife is relatively easy to define. The Bradley Air is a little knife and I like it a lot.
Little Big knife is a different category. This is a knife with capabilities that are unexpected given the "little" size. For me the Techno wins in this category. Very robust blade/handle capable of handling any cutting chores that don't require an actual long cutting edge. I also like the Lil Temp leaf in this category.
I've never warmed up to the d'fly, despite having several including the original FRN, a newer FRN in VG10, the superblue frn (my favorite D'fly), and the G-10. The problem is ergonomics for me. Just not enough handle for what I want to use it for, and always default to the Delica over the D'fly. But my office EDC is still Techno in back pocket and Air dropped into front pocket. Go figure... :)
Last edited by dogrunner on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

It's so slim it might just count as a little knife, but I really like the Bradley Air. Really easy to carry around, thin wharnie blade cuts well, I like the lack of pocket clip, and it's just barely long and textured enough for me to get a good grip on.

Still not sure about the M4 steel - there was some lightly rusted crud in the pivot the last time I opened it up; 204P/M390 would be my preference. But it seems to work well otherwise.

And finally, it's easier to open with a finger flick as a southpaw than with my right thumb, haha! :D

As a side note, the Air has recently been on Amazon for around $113... Darn good price.

Edit: looks like dogrunner and I are in agreement that the Air is just a little knife.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Why no option for Swiss-made Walker fans? :D

I ended up having to go with the Golden bunch, because the Dodo is pretty awesome.
Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

To help clarify my choices (Manbug, Jester) for a 'little big knife' knife, I agree with what some others have said - I am a big fan of the D-Fly, probably the best "bang" for the size of the overall package, but I can (and have) literally carry just the D-Fly on occasion (D-Fly salt when kayaking comes to mind), and that puts it in another class IMO ...

Picked up an Air on Amazon for $113 - couldn't pass for that price, supposed to get it today - it's going to be my 'pajama' knife ...

:cool:
Last edited by On Edge on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I recently crowned a king for my LBK stable, the H1 SE Dfly. It can stand alone as an EDC for me
Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »

Techno for me but the dragonfly for the money is outstanding
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

for me the Salsa is the ultimate lil' big knife, the compressionlock doesn't get much better than this...

kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

TomAiello wrote:Dragonfly. For the design, not the country.
Same logic (for me - and I suspect most) It's the knife, not the country.

In my case, the CF Balance. I just love that little knife. Cuts WAY above it's weight class.

Ken
Last edited by kbuzbee on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.