I will now EDC only SE for 6 months.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: I will now EDC only SE for 6 months.

Post by Evil D »

When this is all done, my Ulize is almost certainly getting SE..
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

StuntZombie wrote:Image

I'm in. I just got this Native, but it's been the only thing I've carried since I pulled it out of its box. I honestly don't miss having a plain edge these days.

My only caveat is that if I get any knives for Christmas, I'll allow myself to carry them as backup.
The serrated Native is an excellent SE knife, even Snake-Eyes aka the Silent Master approves I see!

I did this experiment a few years ago and it certainly was an eye-opener. I now always have some 'teeth' on me, whether it's a primary folder or a ladybug. I refuse to be caught short when I need a serrated edge. For example, some plastic packagings are so much more easier to cut with SE than PE, in my experience.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mr Blonde wrote:
StuntZombie wrote:Image

I'm in. I just got this Native, but it's been the only thing I've carried since I pulled it out of its box. I honestly don't miss having a plain edge these days.

My only caveat is that if I get any knives for Christmas, I'll allow myself to carry them as backup.
The serrated Native is an excellent SE knife, even Snake-Eyes aka the Silent Master approves I see!

I did this experiment a few years ago and it certainly was an eye-opener. I now always have some 'teeth' on me, whether it's a primary folder or a ladybug. I refuse to be caught short when I need a serrated edge. For example, some plastic packagings are so much more easier to cut with SE than PE, in my experience.

I especially like the full SE blades that have no PE at the tip, and especially so when the serrations end with a nice hawkbill like point. Those are the ones that really excel at opening those plastic clam shells.

As for Snake Eyes, I somehow missed that pic. I have a mint condition '89 Snake Eyes figure, I'll have to dig it out one day for pics.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

After using my Saver Salt today, I'm a little torn on having a PE section at the tip. It definitely simplifies things when you don't have to worry about sharpening a plain edge. As long as I have a nice pointy tip, I could deal with not having a PE portion at the end of the blade.

As for Snake Eyes, I always figured he would be more of a PE type of guy, but I bet he could still appreciate the usefulness of a SE.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I have a SpyderEdge H1 Dragonfly on the way, so I'll be testing it out (but not for 6 months)!
:bug-red-white
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I had no intention of trying this but what the ****...I have exclusively used my pacific salt since you started this thread. I don't have any real commitment to go six months, but it's getting a good workout for now.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Who says you can't slice an apple with SE? The only issue was the less than great low hollow grind wedging through the apple.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Been carrying this mean pocket chainsaw the majority of this week.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

That's a beauty Landon.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:Been carrying this mean pocket chainsaw the majority of this week.
Yeah BUDDY!!! that's the kind of "old school" Spyder I constantly preach to people about. Maybe someday a few of these folks will get where I'm coming from concerning my love for the GOLDEN ERA OF SPYDERS 1998-2003.

Holy Cow!!! and WOW!! For this thread about making your EDC a Spyderedged one is sure getting a ton of response when you consider all the folks here that claim they don't like Spyderedges :rolleyes:

I know a lot of folks think I'm a certifiable "wack-Job" for liking, using and admiring Spyderco's super serrated blades. But you see I'm not at all the only one in that camp :D

Landon I just got a Spyderedged JD Smith myself recently thanks to a great Brother and super contributor here on the Forum. When you see how regal that JD Smith is in Spyderedge how could you not want one of those :confused:

Some other Spyderedged trojans from that Era I would love to EDC are the C-50 Centofante, The 440V Military, The Dodo and the super model C-60 Ayoob in SE. Great Thread guys!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
xceptnl wrote:Been carrying this mean pocket chainsaw the majority of this week.
Yeah BUDDY!!! that's the kind of "old school" Spyder I constantly preach to people about. Maybe someday a few of these folks will get where I'm coming from concerning my love for the GOLDEN ERA OF SPYDERS 1998-2003.
I was so close....I came into the brand around '05 or so. There are quite a few models from those days I would be more than happy to own, but not for the prices that most of them fetch, and I would prefer some more recent steel options in some of them.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Thats a real beaut Landon !
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Ha! This year is starting off with a bang...

I found a LNIB JD Smith SE micarta in ATS-34 locally for about $130, and bought it promptly! :D

I cannot say I will EDC SE only for the next 6 months, but I do like to carry them occasionally. The JD in micarta is a looker.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

That JD Smith is one nice looking SE knife! It suits that blade shape very well.
:bug-red-white
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

SE Knives.JPG
Well this is what I have and will use them a little more often for the next months to see what happens
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

opusxpn wrote:
SE Knives.JPG
Well this is what I have and will use them a little more often for the next months to see what happens

I think you'll do fine. With a bigger selection you have more to rotate and keep from getting bored.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
opusxpn wrote:
SE Knives.JPG

I think you'll do fine. With a bigger selection you have more to rotate and keep from getting bored.
I agree with the advice you just gave to the good Brother "opusxpn">> He does indeed have quite a selection to choose from on a daily basis.

Evil this thread has actually surprised me in a way. The response has been terrific and the huge array of different Spyderedged blades we've talked about is awesome and has covered a lot of different types of cutting chores.

It's just like when I was forced to put my 440V SE Native to the ultimate test some time back. Doing the job I literally tried to destroy the knife because I was tired of it drawing dust in my footlocker and I wanted to see how durable it really was>> not to mention I was faced with a job right out of **** itself. But to my amazement the 440V, SE Native didn't sustain much damage at all. The result being it instantly became one of my "go-to", rough job folders and I gained a ton of respect for that folder. Don't judge a Spyder by what it looks like>> because most all of the Spyders are designed for function rather than eye appeal.

This has turned out to be a really interesting thread and it has covered a lot of bases. Great idea EVIL :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Really debating picking up either a Saver Salt or Tasman Salt...not real sure which I want more but I'm leaning towards the Tasman. I don't think I could EDC just a Tasman everyday with nothing else but I think as a companion blade to something plain edge it would do nicely. Then again I'm also thinking of having a Pacific Salt flat ground so I may go that route.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:Really debating picking up either a Saver Salt or Tasman Salt...not real sure which I want more but I'm leaning towards the Tasman. I don't think I could EDC just a Tasman everyday with nothing else but I think as a companion blade to something plain edge it would do nicely. Then again I'm also thinking of having a Pacific Salt flat ground so I may go that route.
Get the TASMAN SE, Yellow Handle>> you won't regret it. It's basically the Merlin model with an H-1 blade and I really love it and the H-1 Spyderhawk both. For the past few years I've used mainly a Harpy or Tasman or Spyderhawk as a companion blade to my main EDC which is constantly rotated. Those Hawkbills really come in handy on many cutting chores. I love the PE & SE Tasman a lot.

H-1 Spyderedges are truly a slam dunk!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah I had a Tasman Salt for a short while but I lost it in the dang ocean. I really like my hawkbill Ladybug and for the most part that's my SE companion blade but I may get the Tasman again as a bigger version.

I had the luck of getting a really horrible sunburn while I was there, but I also scored some fresh aloe growing by a beach house. The Tasman made real short work of it.