Glock Knives and AG Russell Sting Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Glock Knives and AG Russell Sting Knives

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Has anyone here owned and used Glock field knives? They seem to be one of the best quality in the world. The steel is made in Austria. Gaston Glock knows his weapon and tool steels.

Interestingly, for a field knife, is that a hollow grind on it?

Eickhorn of Solingen, Germany, is a good knife maker:

http://www.eickhorn-solingen.de/en_GB" target="_blank

Then there is the AG Russell Sting. Russell is truly an amazing person and a great knife maker and designer.
Does anyone here have a Sting or variations of it and what do you think?

PS: He has an ALL NEW Sting out for sale:

http://www.agrussell.com/crkt-sting3b/p/CL-2025/" target="_blank

It uses that 8Cr13MoV stainless steel, and has a G-10 handle. I like the semi wasp-waisted oval leaf shaped double edged blade. That goes back to Harry Morseth's boot knife structure.
_centurio_

Re: Glock Knives and AG Russell Sting Knives

Post by _centurio_ »

I own several Glock Field knives (I live in Austria). They are nearly indestructible but don't cut well. Good throwing knives, good pry bars ;)
They are made from spring steel. There is a model with a saw on the back which doesn't work really well. It is a saber flat grind.

BR Oliver
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Has anyone here owned and used Glock field knives? They seem to be one of the best quality in the world.
I own one and think the quality is very reasonable for the price. By the way it appears that they are cheaper in the US. Here in Austria one costs about 50$ or a bit less. Odd but I still think it's a good price.
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:The steel is made in Austria.
I'm not sure if this is true and it doesn't necessarily have to mean it's a good steel. However it is a carbon steel and it's hardness is HRC55. That's absolutely adequate for it's intended purposes.
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Interestingly, for a field knife, is that a hollow grind on it?
No it's a flat saber grind. A think a hollow grind wouldn't be the best option.
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Eickhorn of Solingen, Germany, is a good knife maker.
To be honest I don't think so. But I may be wrong.
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Then there is the AG Russell Sting. Russell is truly an amazing person and a great knife maker and designer.
Does anyone here have a Sting or variations of it and what do you think?
Sorry I cannot help you here. I have never heard of that dagger.
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

These are the AG Russel Sting I and II models, and the link leads to one of my own posts from a few years back on the Jerzee Devil forum.
The knives themselves were very well made, and had nice thin edges thanks to the hollow grinds.

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showt ... g-I-amp-II" target="_blank
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

From what I read in an old Tactical Knives article, the Glock Field knives were intended to be used as bayonets for the Steyr AUG, at the time an Austrian built rifle. As such, they're primarily built for stabbing and prying. The grind is thick, and the blade's height is short, leading to a rather obtuse edge. They're not well balanced for chopping, and the ones with the saw back are too thick to do much more than cut shallow grooves in wood. I've had the chance to handle them a few times over the years, and though they seemed pretty solid, I wasn't impressed. I feel like there are a lot of better options out there for a EDC field knife in the same price range.

If Eickhorn is the same company that produced a series of rescue oriented folders several years ago, then I have to agree with Ignaz. They aren't that good.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I had a Glock Fieldknife sawback for a few years then sold it on, concurring with all the previous comments.....They don't come all that sharp, but can be made usefully (if not shaving) sharp with a bit of work....Tip strength is never going to be an issue but as a thick blade with heavily angled grind, it's never going to be a great field knife- it will make a complete mess of dressing game. Far more suited for 'donkey work', as befits it's military background.
The grip is good unless you have wet hands....You can lever off the base plug and there's a space inside for something small like a fishing kit (or additional weights to change the balance)- I've heard reports they make reasonable 'throwers' if that floats your boat.

The real thing I couldn't get my head around was the latch on the sheath- it is a total pig, requiring 2 hands and a load of finger strength to deploy the knife, yet snicks back in with ease.

Also, the blade does rattle about in the sheath despite refusing to actually come out of the blessed thing without a fight....This was the primary reason I sold it- If I can't get it deployed when I need it then what's the flipping point?...For a fixed blade all rounder I went with the classic Kabar in 1095 and reblued it myself, and never looked back.

As to your second question: CRKT also make a licensed version of the Sting for little money which is quite nice and sharp with a really cool sheath system- but it is very small and really benefits from a lanyard on the grip.