Spyderco PITS Folder (Pie In The Sky)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Spyderco PITS Folder (Pie In The Sky)

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I've created this thread as a place for all things PITS related. It doesn't look like this knife has an official/unofficial thread yet so I figured why not. I have a couple questions regarding the PITS folder, so your help is appreciated.

1. I'm pretty sure there is only one man that can answer this one but here goes. Are we there yet? Lol. How close are we to the release?

2. N690Co blade steel made by Bohler. Any Pingo/Squeak lovers out there that want to chime in on their experience with this steel? I've read that it is comparable to 154CM and VG-10.

3. Pictures? I know there was a pass around on British Blades. Maybe some of you have some shots of this knife in the wild you would like to post.

4. Possible flipper? Perhaps if the PITS folder sells well enough, a flipper version could become a reality? If the lower guard was a little longer..could it be flipped?

Many here might quickly dismiss this knife due to the lack of locking mechanism but I think it deserves a closer look. Not every knife needs a lock, I'm sure many of us here could get by just fine without it. Mike Read has come up with a very cool slipit style mechanism for this knife which I'm excited to get my hands on and try out. Anyone else?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Stuart Ackerman

Re: Spyderco PITS Folder (Pie In The Sky)

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

You can regard VG10, N690 and N690CO as the same steel in use...

Sharpening, edge holding, etc are the same, as long as each knife has the same heat treat...
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Can it be highly polished?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Yes, to a mirror polish if you want...but it requires removal in the PITS case...
Generally, I go to 1200 grit hand rubbed finish, and then buff with the finest buff soap that I have...
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I meant for the edge only. Thanks Stuart!

I can see I'm one of the few if any psyched for this knife lol. Not much of a reaction.

@liquid_cobra
paladin

Post by paladin »

here's a link that might be a little helpful:

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... hilit=Pits" target="_blank

I am also awaiting this model with great anticipation...

A lot of knifefolk are "steel junkies..."

I am a Spyderco "lock junkie..." :eek:

What can I say? I am a tinkerer at heart and I'm mesmerized by knife locks!

The main reason I bought the Tatanka is for the "PowerLock"

One of my themes for collecting ( operative/optional word ONE ) is lock types...

I have at least one of every lock offering by Spyderco, even including the unique slipits like the Terzuola Slipit...

Needless to say with the "PITS" lock...the quest will continue

I like handle materials/textures also, and with the PITS featuring that sleek, sporty, holey Titanium...well that's just one more tally for the punch list!

Great thread, Liquid Cobra!!! :D
Last edited by paladin on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paladin

Post by paladin »

sorry for this superfluous post in your thread Cobra, but I don't want to reside on that previous post number for long :eek:
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'm looking forward to this one. I like the look of it, kind of like a mini ATR. It should make another great EDC option.
:bug-red-white
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cobra,

on #1 - we're told soon.

on #2 - Stuart Ackerman has it.

On #4 - The original design had a longer guard, but the "lock", if made safely, is too strong to be a flipper.

sal
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

If PITS turns out to be a good user, would it make sense / be possible to produce an integral compression lock variant out of it in the future? I like my Squeak with it's slip joint, but on a bigger knife wouldn't mind a lock, especially compression lock that is my favorite.
Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »

sal wrote:Hi Cobra,

on #1 - we're told soon.

on #2 - Stuart Ackerman has it.

On #4 - The original design had a longer guard, but the "lock", if made safely, is too strong to be a flipper.

sal
The original will flip if a bit of wrist action is used sal quite easily and consistantly, I was quite surprised as Mike never intended it to flip..
You have to make it though no way it will flip without a decent amount of wrist flick too, the "lock" on my mk3 pits is a good bit stronger than the prototype spyderco we had on the BB passround.
Couple of pics...

Lee
Lee
Census Taker

Post by Census Taker »

HI All,

I'm a new member from the UK and I am sure that the PITS is of great interest here where knife laws have become so draconian. When I ordered mine from Heinnie Haynes back in June, they already had forty on order. I am sure that this number will have grown.

I am really looking forward to getting my hands on this as it looks a reasonable size. I already have a number of slip-joints, but these are mainly quite small and don't fit my large hands all that well.

It's good to hear from Sal that the PITS is expected soon; I already have a Rhodium beaded Spyderco lanyard ready for it!

All the best, everyone!

Ian
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thanks for all the great input Sal, Leeroy and Ian. I look forward to adding my own picture and thoughts once I get my hands on one. Good to hear it's close, maybe the wife will get me one for Christmas lol.

Welcome to the Forum Ian! I understand the Heinnie Haynes is one of the major Spyderco suppliers to the UK, is that correct? They'll probably sell more PITS folders than anyone.

@liquid_cobra
Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Thanks for all the great input Sal, Leeroy and Ian. I look forward to adding my own picture and thoughts once I get my hands on one. Good to hear it's close, maybe the wife will get me one for Christmas lol.

Welcome to the Forum Ian! I understand the Heinnie Haynes is one of the major Spyderco suppliers to the UK, is that correct? They'll probably sell more PITS folders than anyone.
Yeah heinnie's are the biggest knife dealer in the UK only other real spyderco dealer is mindyourfingers these are the only 2 places we can really get sprint runs from in the UK :-( Heinnie's are brilliant though
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Has there been any word on a black model coming out?
Mike
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

I am enthused about this release as well. Novel locking mechanism and attractive overall design for light edc seems like it would fit my mostly office lifestyle.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

locking or not i like this knife interesting design but price point will determine if i buy it or not. Only knife i have in N690CO is the forrester and it performs very well. locking blades aren't a necessity for me it just so happens most designs i like have a locking blade. I do have other brands of non locking folders and technically i have atleast 3 non locking spydies. Spyderfly, Szabofly and the tmag. I almost bought a terzoula slip it but never managed to get one before they were gone. My friend has one and i'm kinda jealous.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Expect street prices to be around $224.
:bug-red-white
Eee

Post by Eee »

Here's some pictures of the prototype along with two originals. Only one is mine :D

It feels like a quality product.

To get an idea of scale with the UKPK...

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ian,

Welcome to our forum.

sal