Which Para Military 2 do you love the most?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which Para 2 is your favorite?

S30v
15%
Blue M390
22%
Foliage Green Elmax
5%
Forest Green CTS204P
21%
CF CPM154/S90V
6%
Orange CTS-XHP
8%
Brown CPM-S35VN
8%
Grey CTS-20CP
8%
CF S90V
8%

Total votes: 103

mb1

Re: Which Para Military 2 do you love the most?

Post by mb1 »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
mb1 wrote:Do you believe in love at first sight? Oh. My. Goodness. I've never even held one of these until this arrived today.

It's funny. The Sage 1 was the first Spyderco I handled. It is an amazing knife. The Para evokes a deeper reaction in me. It's just a thing, a tool. But what a thing of beauty!
image.jpg
Someone is pretty happy with there new knife. This your first Spydie mb1?

If am hoping the Para 2 is even half as good as people say. If so I expect to be pretty happy with mine.
It is my first keeper. Had a Sage 1 catch and release basically, no fault of the Sage. May pick another one of those up some day.

You were the one with the Millie shot on the grenade right? Curious to hear how the smaller version compares for you. I love the compression lock.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Looks like the green 204P is running away with it! That was actually my #2 choice after the S90V, and is also one of my most carried Para 2s.

I got pretty lucky with my CPM154/S90V Para 2. The lamination line isn't perfectly straight (I don't think any were), but it's not bad, and the blade centering, lockup, and overall F&F are excellent.

:bug-red-white
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

mb1 wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
mb1 wrote:Do you believe in love at first sight? Oh. My. Goodness. I've never even held one of these until this arrived today.

It's funny. The Sage 1 was the first Spyderco I handled. It is an amazing knife. The Para evokes a deeper reaction in me. It's just a thing, a tool. But what a thing of beauty!
image.jpg
Someone is pretty happy with there new knife. This your first Spydie mb1?

If am hoping the Para 2 is even half as good as people say. If so I expect to be pretty happy with mine.

It is my first keeper. Had a Sage 1 catch and release basically, no fault of the Sage. May pick another one of those up some day.

You were the one with the Millie shot on the grenade right? Curious to hear how the smaller version compares for you. I love the compression lock.
As soon as I get the last few dollars collected to pay for it and it makes its way though the mail to me here I will be sure to let you know.

Evil D I thought about the Caly 3 SB after I posted and agree 100 fold. Full Superblue blades are more better. Of course not everyone is as much a fan of patina as we are so I see composite from a marketing standpoint I suppose.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote:By far my favorite of the ones I have tried. I do like S90V as well as the 204P, but the green really makes this one my favorite.

I always knew that I can count on you
except Jesters :D
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

One vote for the CPM154/S90V laminate! It's my favorite because the fates aligned for me to get one for under $300 and I was waiting a while to add a CF PM2 to my collection. The only one I don't have is the CF S90V version, but there's no way I'd pay even half their going price these days. As for EDC, I carry the dark green 204P version with a deep carry clip, which came in a close second for my vote (but I couldn't leave the laminate up there all alone). Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bh49

Post by bh49 »

JNewell wrote: A few thoughts on that one.
First, there were only 300, so there aren't many out there. Second, many sold for very high prices, which tends to inhibit people from using them.
Here's two more reasons I couldn't vote for this sprint. I picked up a pair of those, both in the $275-285 range, which is about half what most went for. Both have badly centered S90V cores. One is so off-center that there is essentially no S90V at the tip on one side.
In addition, both are very badly centered. One was so bad I took the blade out to check it's straightness on a machinist's straightedge. As I had guessed, that blade is noticeably warped. The other one turned out to be warped also, but not as badly. The pictures I saw on eBay all looked much better than the two I got (from different, very reputable, dealers), so I think I just lost the lottery big time on that sprint run...but in any case, not at the top of my list.
+1
I completely agree with John and would like to add. IMHO the most value of Para2 with S90V/CPM154 composite blade is uniqueness (small run, first attempt of the foundry to make this laminate and so on), making it great collector piece, but not that great value as user. Dark green para2 is just opposite. It was available for anybody who really wanted. I bought two, which I pre-ordered. And later at additional run I got one more for the friend, who was very jealous. $150 was a good and affordable. Even now sometime you can see them on BF exchange at decent price. IMHO considering price/steel/scales it was the best value in Para2 family ever offered. Second place for me would be orange para, especially considering that they were sold in $117-$140 shipped range
Holland

Post by Holland »

I had multiples of all the sprints a year or so back and only kept one M390 model. I love the steel and I am a huge fan of the friendly blue handle
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Holland

Post by Holland »

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

My first PM2 was the blue M390 exclusive. After getting that knife, I saw no reason to buy any of the others, because it was just that good. I love the blue handles, the M390 steel is good stuff, and the price wasn't too terrible (I got in on the first batch). I did end up ordering a green 204P PM2, but decided not to keep it. While I do like the green handles, I figured that there was no reason to have both it and my M390 version, as they are practically the same thing, and I prefer to have a variety of models vs. multiples of a single model.

Last edited by jabba359 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
FDE

Post by FDE »

Voted Orange XHP but only for the scale color.
I've had or have all the S30V variations, green 204p, and just picked up the orange XHP.
I'm anxious to see how the XHP compares to 204p (excellent) but in reality S30V is plenty good enough for my uses.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

jabba359 wrote:I prefer to have a variety of models vs. multiples of a single model.
Yes.

Also of note Blue M390 is making a comeback. Being how the M390 and 204P are the same steel from different makers I find it kinda neat. Guess it is mostly about scale color between the two.

deskil

Post by deskil »

I only have these two and rarely carry the blue one. My vote is for the green one, which is a regular in my rotation.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Can someone run thru the bullet points on the 204P for me?

Sounds like these were about $150 originally? Was that through a retailer setting up the sprint run?

Looks like current asking prices are around $200. No retailers are selling these now, correct? Still learning how this world of spydies and addiction operates.
- Mark

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

There are 2 kinds of limited special runs: "sprint runs" and "dealer exclusives"

Sprint runs are done by Spyderco, and they are sold by both the SFO and retailers. Spyderco sets the MSRP, and the retailers set their "street price."

Dealer exclusives are commissioned by a particular dealer, who chooses the knife and configuration. Although Spyderco still sets an MSRP, the dealer gets to set the street price because they are the only ones who will be selling them. Often the dealer will have the option of ordering another run, so you may still have a chance to buy one new through the dealer. If not, then the seller market is the place to go.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

mb1 wrote:Can someone run thru the bullet points on the 204P for me?

Sounds like these were about $150 originally? Was that through a retailer setting up the sprint run?

Looks like current asking prices are around $200. No retailers are selling these now, correct? Still learning how this world of spydies and addiction operates.
It was sold as a sprint run by Knifeworks. There were two batches made one of 800 in June of 2013 and 400 in March of 2014. Knifeworks is out of them but they can be had pretty regular on the secondary market. It was set up by a distributor Blue Ridge Knives but Knifeworks got them all.

mb1

Post by mb1 »

Yeah I'm seeing them for $200 on the Exchange. Decent jump from the $150 original deal (if that's accurate?). I guess this is a case of limited numbers and high demand.

I'm pretty thrilled with my S30V, and it will be a user. Not sure I could scratch up a $200 beauty.
- Mark

HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

$50 dollars is not a big jump in the grand scheme of things.

There a a lot of Spydies that more then doubled in price.

mb1

Post by mb1 »

I hear ya. But a 33% return on investment in a matter of months (if you flip)...I'd take that deal all day long.
- Mark

HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

mb1 wrote:I hear ya. But a 33% return on investment in a matter of months (if you flip)...I'd take that deal all day long.
"Bobby Boucher don't flip, flipping is the devil!"

mb1

Post by mb1 »

- Mark