pm2 ellmax?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
endgame

pm2 ellmax?

Post by endgame »

I have 2 of these and absolutely live the color and steel.why hasnt it sold out? the other sold out in hours there were battles for them.is it because they were bento box and a little more pricey? where are we getting sick of the pm2 exclusives.I know bento box is a little pricey and are actually offering combos with it.color and steel it's a great combo.this is the first one not selling out in less than a day.the carbon fiber s110 s90v sold out faster that was a lot of money.do you guys think about this
jabba359

Re: pm2 ellmax?

Post by jabba359 »

Short story, a lot of people refuse to buy from BBS for one reason or another (there are too many threads already detailing this and I hope this doesn't turn into yet another). Combine that with the higher pricing for a steel that isn't much of an upgrade over S30V, and the knives aren't moving too quickly.

The Knifeworks exclusive, on the other hand, sold quickly due to lower pricing, a generally favorable perception of the company, and the upgraded steel.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Price. Just price. BBS not only has a higher listed price but their shipping charges aren't always too great, plus they charge tax in Cali IIRC.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

All reasons previously listed above. Plus, I'm not so sure Spyderco's Elmax is an upgrade over Spyderco's S30V at all. Anyone with more experience care to comment?
Last edited by Strong-Dog on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I think the BBS factor, higher price and the fact that some people just don't appreciate the beauty of foliage green like you and I do, endgame ;) As for the Elmax, I'll defer to the experts.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Compared to the prices we have paid for previous sprints this one seems expensive. After the cts204p coming out for $150 the elmax version just seems like much less of a value. That said, I bought one and love it. Elmax takes an edge I like and I love foliage green so I jumped on it.

Also, elmax is not that new or rare of a steel so it hasn't really grabbed ahold of the steel geeks like some of the other steels.

It takes BBS a long time to sell out of most things due to price. Don't they still have blue millies and plain edge lil matriarchs as well as a lot of other discontinued knives? I don't like them and avoid them but if they commission a sprint that I really want then I am gonna get it.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Strong-Dog wrote:Plus, I'm not so sure Spyderco's Elmax is an upgrade over Spyderco's S30V at all. Anyone with more experience care to comment?
Being a Austrian steel Elmax is pretty common here in Europe.
I have experience with both steels and would prefer Elmax in most cases against S30V, I'd say it's on par with CTS-XHP.
Elmax takes a finer edge and holds the edge longer than S30V, if it was provided with proper heat treatment.
endgame

Post by endgame »

I love ellmax over s30v.s30v is the only stainless that has rusted on.me over the years.the blue m390 sold fast and I no its a so called better steel but the blue us ugly and it was a bento box special.well it was just a question and I personally think if this was released I year or two earlier it would have sold like the rest I just think its time to retire the fancy steel factor on the pm2 and work on changing the cheap g10 scales.I would love coated aluminum ,micarta.wood.ss.titanium.no more peelply cf wich is just g10 with fake cf tape.I like it but its just like fake wood floors in a house looks real but its not.dlc coated aluminum with vg10 I would buy 5 of them.anodized ti or anodized flueted ti any kindif steel wich I hear they are going to make ,how about some nice wood or polished micarta.no mire g10 or peelply sprint in differrnt colors .it had been done to death now.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

MarcusH wrote:
Strong-Dog wrote:Plus, I'm not so sure Spyderco's Elmax is an upgrade over Spyderco's S30V at all. Anyone with more experience care to comment?
Being a Austrian steel Elmax is pretty common here in Europe.
I have experience with both steels and would prefer Elmax in most cases against S30V, I'd say it's on par with CTS-XHP.
Elmax takes a finer edge and holds the edge longer than S30V, if it was provided with proper heat treatment.
Ah, thank you
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

endgame wrote:I love ellmax over s30v.s30v is the only stainless that has rusted on.me over the years.the blue m390 sold fast and I no its a so called better steel but the blue us ugly and it was a bento box special.well it was just a question and I personally think if this was released I year or two earlier it would have sold like the rest I just think its time to retire the fancy steel factor on the pm2 and work on changing the cheap g10 scales.I would love coated aluminum ,micarta.wood.ss.titanium.no more peelply cf wich is just g10 with fake cf tape.I like it but its just like fake wood floors in a house looks real but its not.dlc coated aluminum with vg10 I would buy 5 of them.anodized ti or anodized flueted ti any kindif steel wich I hear they are going to make ,how about some nice wood or polished micarta.no mire g10 or peelply sprint in differrnt colors .it had been done to death now.
Spyderco's Peel ply carbon Fiber is Carbon fiber all the way through. No g10 is involved. I'm hoping they use more of it, it's strong, light weight, nicely textured and looks awesome.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
endgame wrote:I love ellmax over s30v.s30v is the only stainless that has rusted on.me over the years.the blue m390 sold fast and I no its a so called better steel but the blue us ugly and it was a bento box special.well it was just a question and I personally think if this was released I year or two earlier it would have sold like the rest I just think its time to retire the fancy steel factor on the pm2 and work on changing the cheap g10 scales.I would love coated aluminum ,micarta.wood.ss.titanium.no more peelply cf wich is just g10 with fake cf tape.I like it but its just like fake wood floors in a house looks real but its not.dlc coated aluminum with vg10 I would buy 5 of them.anodized ti or anodized flueted ti any kindif steel wich I hear they are going to make ,how about some nice wood or polished micarta.no mire g10 or peelply sprint in differrnt colors .it had been done to death now.
Spyderco's Peel ply carbon Fiber is Carbon fiber all the way through. No g10 is involved. I'm hoping they use more of it, it's strong, light weight, nicely textured and looks awesome.
This. Peel Ply is solid carbon fiber. Oddly enough, I tend to like the twill-woven CF laminate coming out of Taiwan the best, even more than solid CF. I feel like peel ply loses a lot of the aesthetic benefits of CF, ending up looking and feeling like G-10 but at a higher price. My second favorite CF would probably be the matte sort they used on the Dodo.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

I had read somewhere Elmax was not so good. Well at least I remember reading something of that sort.

Would love if that is not the case. Been holding off jumping on the PM2 bandwagon until I could score something sprint or exclusive.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
bearfacedkiller

Cheap G10 scales? You would prefer aluminum to G10? The carbon fiber is fake? Blue G10 is ugly? Titanium is probably coming though.

The sage3 and domino have the black g!) with carbon fiber laminate. That may be what you are reffering to.

Personally I have passed on all of the peel ply models. I just don't care for it. If it was smooth then I would be in but the peel ply ruins it for me and I would rather just have G10.

You will never see a vg10 para2 with dlc aluminum scales.
bearfacedkiller

HarleyXJGuy wrote:I had read somewhere Elmax was not so good. Well at least I remember reading something of that sort.

Would love if that is not the case. Been holding off jumping on the PM2 bandwagon until I could score something sprint or exclusive.
I like Elmax. There have been some issues with heat treat in the past with some makers. That is nothing i have any experience with, just what i have heard on here. For me it works great. It is not a crazy high carbide steel but it does take a very nice edge. I find it to be similar in performance to s30v but to maybe take a bit more refined of an edge like xhp does for me.

My advice is to get on BF though and look for a knifeworks exlusive cts204p model. They were dark green and didn't come out that long ago so they are still surfacing regularly for reasonable prices. I bet you can snag one of those for the same or less than the $212 BBS wants to get theirs to your door. They turn up on Ebay a bit as well but BF should have a better deal if you are diligent.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Dark green and CTS204P, nice.

Good idea.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
bearfacedkiller

I like blue g10 almost as much as I like growing tomatoes, and I LOVE growing tomatoes.

animportant

Post by animportant »

I believe Ankerman stated that the Elmax in the PM2 has a higher Heat Treat Hardness than the Elmax used previously and by other brands, around 60 Hardness, which makes it better. (From the bladeforum thread) I'm not 100% sure though.

My Elmax PM2 is one of about 10 Spydercos. I like it alot, but sometimes I wish I had either the M390 or 204p model instead. It's still a great piece, though.
bearfacedkiller

animportant wrote:I believe Ankerman stated that the Elmax in the PM2 has a higher Heat Treat Hardness than the Elmax used previously and by other brands, around 60 Hardness, which makes it better. (From the bladeforum thread) I'm not 100% sure though.

My Elmax PM2 is one of about 10 Spydercos. I like it alot, but sometimes I wish I had either the M390 or 204p model instead. It's still a great piece, though.
I didn't know Ron Burgundy was into steel? Anchorman, Lol!!!
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I like blue g10 almost as much as I like growing tomatoes, and I LOVE growing tomatoes.

There is something about blue G10 (or blue on knives, really) that I love as well. I didn't realize I liked the color blue on knives until I mistakenly got sent the blue option 5 halpern ti scales instead of the brown ones, lol. Best mistake ever!
endgame

Post by endgame »

just causr I dont like smurf blue and you do dont hate its just my opinion.g10 is a cheap alternative to other scales if you didnt have those ss liners it would be nothing.all im saying is it has been done to death.I would like to see a different scale material not just colored g10.I dont buy into rumors heard online were some one says ellmax no good I find out for myself.otherwise its just a rumor.I love the pm2 but I want something different in scales material.atermarket scales dont fit as well.you love g10 thats fine .you like peelply thats fine also .its just been done a allot with the pm2.I no for a fact g10 is cheaper so I will not argue that fact with you.I just would like to no what better scake material can be used for a pm2.