Tuf-Glide/cloth, updated opinion

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Tuf-Glide/cloth, updated opinion

Post by jackknifeh »

Been using Tuf-glide and cloth for about 4 years now I think. My opinion of Tuf-glide as a lubricant has not changed. It may be the worst product advertised as a lubricant. I would use Tuf-Glide as a lube if I had nothing else. As an anti-corrosion product I think it does well. It protected M4 from any corrosion and I couldn't force a patina on it either. I don't remember even food putting a patina on the M4 when using Tuf-Glide. I used Tuf-glide/cloth on the superblue on Spyderco's recent sprints as well as a 1095 blade on a GEC pocket knife. Tuf-glide has protected these blades on a short term from everything except food. I used my GEC pocket knife for dinner (chicken) and here is the result even after I had been treating the blades with tuf-glide.

From my very limited experience with non-stainless steels it doesn't appear Tuf-glide protects the steel from patina when used on food. With the possible exception of CPM-M4. Superblue and 1095 both patina beautifully no matter how much Tuf-glide you use.

This is only one opinion as a result of a small number of examples so take it for what it's worth. Does anyone have experience with this issue? I'm thinking tuf-glide works well for protecting against fresh water, persperation, or normal (in my mind) use. Salt water? No idea. Food? No protection against patina.

I don't know how much difference there is between patina and rust. Both are corrosion but I've come to think of patina as good corrosion and rust as bad. Rust leaves pits and scars and such. Patina actually protects the steel against bad corrosion (RUST). This is my understanding on a very basic level of knowledge about corrosion.

Jack
JNewell

Re: Tuf-Glide/cloth, updated opinion

Post by JNewell »

Agreed, it is that simple. :) Very good corrosion protection, poor lubricant at best. I say poor at best because it attracts and retains a lot of grit, which is not what you want on moving parts.
WMR

Post by WMR »

One more in agreement! I used Tuf-Glide on Super-blue and found that it did not work....period. Not as a lubricant, as I gave up on that a long time ago, but it does not stop a patina unless you use the knife for just opening the mail. Several times I resorted to shining up the blade with flitz. Finally, I gave up and let the patina do its thing. Much less maintenance now, just an occasional sharpening which produces the scariest sharp blade that I own. Super-blue is now my all time favorite EDC (Caly 3.5) but Tuf-Glide has been dropped from the list.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The one product that Sentry Solutions has that I do like is that dry lubricant of theirs called "BP2000". I've had great luck with it overall and I do think it's better than conventional graphite powdered lube.

I've used the Tuf-Glide and still have a half a bottle of it. But the Tuf-Cloth is great for corrosion protection. I think that Tuf Cloth is what made them famous.

When it comes to lubrication (wet lube) I don't think you can beat Militec and I've been using it for 10 years or so.