any bolstered slip joints in the works?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyder moist

any bolstered slip joints in the works?

Post by spyder moist »

While I love carrying my spy-dk and clipitools,
I can't help but look at the manbug with bolsters and think I wish I could have a Sunday best slippie spyderco
I know I could carry a traditional pocket knife, buts its just not a spydie. Polished micarta or g10 with vg10 or n690co would be great.

I will get the roadie when its released as its a new small slim spyderco. But I just love bolsters.
Liquid Cobra

Re: any bolstered slip joints in the works?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The PITS folder is coming sometime this year in all its titanium scaled glory. It's kinda fancy...
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm hoping for either an all stainless or bolstered version of the Kiwi 4.
spyder moist

Post by spyder moist »

Liquid Cobra wrote:The PITS folder is coming sometime this year in all its titanium scaled glory. It's kinda fancy...
While the PITS is one fine looking knife with top notch materials (and designed by a fellow Brit) ,(and while it is UK legal) , its a little to large for my needs. My edc's only see light to medium use so a smallish blade with a half decent steel is all I need and to be honest. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

While I prefer the locking ones myself, there was a bolstered slipjoint Kiwi with stag scales that are fairly easy to replace if you fancy something else. Granted it's only 8Cr13MoV, but it's probably as close to a bolstered slipjoint Spyderco as we're likely to see.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Evil D wrote:I'm hoping for either an all stainless or bolstered version of the Kiwi 4.
With the Kiwi4 made by Moki I hope to see it get a lot of the same treatment that the Caly knives got. Maybe we will see a CF 420/zdp or maybe even a grey SOLID Super Blue or maybe even a carbon fiber titanium bolstered and Damascus. I am excited about the options moki could offer on this knife especially the solid super blue with grey g10.

In the end the version that is out now will not be able to knock the Centofante4 out of its spot as my preferred wharncliffe for EDC. The FFG makes it close but before I open up my wallet and consider moving on from that Centofante4 I'll need to see an upgrade Kiwi4.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with slip joints, I just get excited at the idea of a better version of the Kiwi4.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Evil D wrote:I'm hoping for either an all stainless or bolstered version of the Kiwi 4.
I'd never thought of an all stainless Kiwi 4 before you said that but it's very appealing to me. I usually steer much more toward the lighter end of the scale on my knives these days but given how narrow that handle is I don't think the weight penalty would be too severe. I think it'd look dynamite too.

To the OP's original point - the thing I wonder about with a bolstered slipit is if you had a model that was UKPK or Spy-DK sized would it need liners to help balance the rest of the handle against weight at the middle and front? One of the things I love about the UKPK and the extended slipit family is the lightness and simplicity of linerless handles.
~ Nate
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I would LOVE to see Spyderco create a Spyderized version of classic slip-joint models, such as the Muskrat, Barlow, Stockman, or Trapper. The closest thing to date to this would be the Micro Dyads from several years ago. How about a Spyderco collaboration with Tony Bose or Bill Ruple?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The ONLY reason I bought the G10 Manbug was that it had bolsters. It sort of looks like a modern take on a Barlow or something. So, if Spyderco came out with a slipjoint bolstered knife that was good looking, as the Manbug is, I would certainly buy one.