Old Delica, curious about the packaging

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jujigatame

Old Delica, curious about the packaging

Post by jujigatame »

I was at an antique fair today and found this first generation Delica. New old stock, never used. :)

The interesting part was the card it came on.

I can't say I've ever seen this particular product card before. Would this knife have been sold in a blister pack? That would be my natural assumption with a card like that. I think the blade being marked G-2 would peg the knife as made in the early 1990s, like '92 or '93. Were Spydercos sold in blister packs that far back? More a matter of pure curiosity than anything else but any thoughts you may have are appreciated.

In any case I'm happy to have found this one. I love the pointier blade on Delicas & Enduras before the 4th generation change. Having another option for a Spyderedge blade besides my Enduras is nice too. Fits right in to my mid-sized Spyder group, which happened to double in size in the last two weeks. ;)

One more picture alongside my other loot from the fair - a little 3" carborundum stone and a nice 6" ruler from Starrett.

~ Nate
rycen

Re: Old Delica, curious about the packaging

Post by rycen »

You are correct with your assumption that it was from a blister pack and from that time period.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

That is a unique piece of Spydie-history. Thank you for sharing as I am sure many here have never seen the like (including myself)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi jujigatame!

THX Much for share this fantastic pics. :)

Personally I've never seen this kind of package before. I can see some resemblance between this one and our current actual box.

And the condition of the knife is superb. A true gem worthy of a museum collection. :D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Wow, that is indeed a rare find--and is in superb condition to boot. Nicely done, jujigatame! Better hang on to that bad boy. :D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hey LC Kid,
I like your new avatar. Kinda' reminds me of that catchy tune from the LEGO Movie ("Everything is Awesome"). :D
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

rycen wrote:You are correct with your assumption that it was from a blister pack and from that time period.
Okay, thanks. Guess I pass this round of Spydie-school. ;)

I appreciate the comments. The guy I bought the Delica from also had a first generation Dragonfly with hollow ground blade in similar condition. The narrower blade shape and smaller thumb ramp on that version don't appeal to me as much so I passed on that one.
~ Nate
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Great snag, and nice bit of history! It's always cool to have some old school in the collection! May we ask what you gave for it? :D
Lonehunter

Post by Lonehunter »

Nice find and great pics. Question though , is it still a First generation with the fat plastic clip? The first ones made have a narrow clip.
rycen

Post by rycen »

When most refer to a first generation in this context it encompasses both the narrow and wide clip. A first generation Delica would be one that has FRN scales with the integrated clip regardless of other details.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

spyderHS08 wrote:Great snag, and nice bit of history! It's always cool to have some old school in the collection! May we ask what you gave for it? :D

$33 to be precise.

Lonehunter wrote:Nice find and great pics. Question though , is it still a First generation with the fat plastic clip? The first ones made have a narrow clip.
One could interpret the term "first generation" in different ways. I think of the word generation as referring to all versions that fall under the same base design details. To my mind anything with the integral FRN clip is a first generation. Maybe you'd want to call it version 1.1 or 1.whatever instead of 1.0 but I'd still say it's of the first design.
~ Nate
dcrutch8

Post by dcrutch8 »

That is a nice find. Still looks in mint conditon!
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

That is an awesome find. I especially like the included card. For some reason, I've always liked little bits of product information literature like that.

Those older Spydies still have a lot of charm too. I never thought I would like the integral clip, but my Dragonfly has kinda changed my mind on that aspect of the design.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Thank you for sharing this! I really enjoy seeing stuff like this pop up on the forum.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi SpyderNut!
SpyderNut wrote:Hey LC Kid,
I like your new avatar. Kinda' reminds me of that catchy tune from the LEGO Movie ("Everything is Awesome"). :D
THX Much Bro. :)

Actually it is a LEGO Funky Head :D
Mygrainman

Post by Mygrainman »

I just bought a couple LBK's with the same type of packaging that I found in a local retailer in my town... these have been hidden in the back of their display case for 25+ years. I think the $22 price tag on such a small knife has kept them in stock for all this time. I assume They( I bought 2 and am going back for the 3rd and last one they have) are worth well over $22 today. I'm curious as to how much because I intend to put 1 or 2 up for sale... Maybe :cool: . I've searched all over and jujigatame's Delica is the only other example of this type of packaging I've seen on the web. I'm sure that most got tossed soon after opening as Spyderco was relatively unknown to at the time these hit the shelves. I'm not surprised the plastic is missing from the Delica... Mine is very thin and brittle and cracks very easily. I'm sure that it wouldn't last long with people pawing at it at antique fairs.
Mygrainman

Post by Mygrainman »

I just bought a couple LBK's with the same type of packaging that I found in a local retailer in my town... these have been hidden in the back of their display case for 25+ years. I think the $22 price tag on such a small knife has kept them in stock for all this time. I assume They( I bought 2 and am going back for the 3rd and last one they have) are worth well over $22 today. I'm curious as to how much because I intend to put 1 or 2 up for sale... Maybe :cool: . I've searched all over and jujigatame's Delica is the only other example of this type of packaging I've seen on the web. I'm sure that most got tossed soon after opening as Spyderco was relatively unknown to at the time these hit the shelves. I'm not surprised the plastic is missing from the Delica... Mine is very thin and brittle and cracks very easily. I'm sure that it wouldn't last long with people pawing at it at antique fairs.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
I'm not so sure about this being a "perfect first knife" for a 7 y.o. child.  These are razor sharp out of package!
I'm not so sure about this being a "perfect first knife" for a 7 y.o. child. These are razor sharp out of package!
This one remains sealed and is in perfect condition
This one remains sealed and is in perfect condition
Mygrainman

Post by Mygrainman »